MLB Baseball player gets......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Baseball player gets......

crapped on because he wanted to be there for the birth of his child. PROBLEM though is the birth happen during the first 2 games of the regular season. MLB does have in its contract with the players an allowance for a 3 day paid paternity leave.

http://www.today.com/moms/mets-playe...our-2D79480866

it seems some of the "Manly" sports casters have a problem with family these days. some of the comments border on extreme sexism and BASEBALL TRUMPTS everything.

Are we in the 21st century yet?????
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Perhaps they think Marty Bergen is the ideal ball player?
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

It's the same mentallity at the PO. Carrier needed to leave cause his son was being born. Management wanted to know how long he was going to be gone and if he could come back after.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
        Former NFL quarterback Boomer Eliason said on his radio show that he would have insisted his wife schedule a medically unnecessary C-section before the season began.

"Quite frankly I would've said 'C-section before the season starts. I need to be at opening day. I'm sorry, this is what makes our money, this is how we're going to live our life, this is going to give our child every opportunity to be a success in life. I'll be able to afford any college I want to send my kid to because I'm a baseball player,'" Esiason said Wednesday.
        1.) C-section would only be "convenient" in this case because the due date coincides with the very beginning of the season. I'd like to know what Boomer would do if the child birth was later on in the season (or god-forbid during the playoffs).

2.) Professional athletes have missed games and practices due to other life-changing events, such as death of a loved one. Why should child birth be any different?

3.) Professional athletes do miss practice and other vital off-the-field sessions due to these kinds of events. These sessions are very important to the health of a team's season, especially for important positions such as second base and quarterback.

4.) Missing an NFL game is far more damaging to the season than missing one or two MLB games (simply because there are 16 NFL games in a season vs 162 MLB games; proportionally speaking, missing one NFL game is the equivalent of missing 10 MLB games, and missing two MLB games is equivalent of, maybe, missing an offensive drive or two as a quarterback). I get that missing a drive could still decide a game, just as missing two MLB games as a second-baseman might cost the team those games which could hurt their playoff hopes in the future, but you still can't compare missing a whole NFL game to missing an MLB game.

And, sorry, but if you're a good player, and this child birth set your team back a bit, it's not going to cost your children their college potential. You're still making an ass-ton of money, and as long as you don't spend it on dozens of yachts, summer homes, and hookers, your child's college fund is not in jeopardy.

As a sports fan, I actually do somewhat understand some of the frustration of lacking a player; however, I do not, at all, blame Murphy for his decision, and think he made the right one for his personal life. I think the comments made saying Murphy is "selfish" or "hates his job" because of his decision are insensitive, wrong, and idiotic... but I've always held that opinion of most sports writers and commentators' comments anyways.

Comment

I agree that he made the right decision. After all, he won't be able to play baseball forever. Being there for his wife and new baby was much more important, in my opinion.

Comment

Boomer Esiason apologized for his comments.

I agree with the writer's opinion of Boomer's apology. The only reason he apologized was that his bosses told him to.

Unfortunately, this story reminded of David Williams story. He was actually fined by the Houston Oilers because he missed a road game due to his son's birth.
            Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Stopped reading when it mentioned he is a Met. Mets fans aren't the classy NY fans.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Until the Yanks play the Red Sox. All hell breaks loose then. /3rd generation Mets fan

But good for the guy. I wish places would give fathers a chance to see their kid and spend time with them after birth.

Comment

It's the same crowd of yahoos that bitched when Sean Green would take a day off because of the Jewish holiday in September (Yom Kippur?). Boomer used to play football and each game in football is fairly important to the ebb and flow of the season. As someone pointed out, a game in football is the equivalent of 10 games in baseball. So if a player takes one or two days for paternity leave in baseball, it wont have that much impact on the season. The same can't be said for football.

Around my parts, people would bitch about Sergei Fedorov seemingly dogging it during relatively meaningless regular season games. I wasn't one of those because it seemed like he always performed very well when it matters. Everyone has off days....even people that are paid millions to play a game.

Comment

Working...
                  X