Yale threatens to kick a student out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yale threatens to kick a student out

because they mistakenly think she has an eating disorder.

http://www.today.com/health/unhealth...eal-2D79508322
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Strange how they don't at all go into how having an eating disorder is grounds for kicking someone out of school.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I can see giving students health advice. But to go and say someone is something due to BMI, which keeps being proven to be the worst way to diagnose someone with some disorder, and keep bugging her about it is just crazy.

Also if they are worried about mental health, kicking her our cause of her weight will make it all worse.

Comment

as has been said, forget the fact that she doesn't (apparently) have an eating disorder in the first place, why kick someone out for having an eating disorder?

Comment

Yeah, what stabeler said. In most cases eating disorders are a caused because the person has a serious issue with their physical image.

I mean, what sort of harm would it cause on someone that has some sort of mental hang up about her image to get kicked out of school because of her image? While I am happy that this young lady does not have an eating disorder, I am extremely worried about a girl who does and then gets kicked out of school.

Comment

Add me to the list of those who would like to know why Yale would even care if she has an eating disorder or not. Have colleges always had such dumb rules or is this a new thing?

Comment

The problem with this shit is that you are considered anorectic if you are 25% of the minimum weight for height or more [less?] and anorexia I think is still considered a mental illness. We can't have nutters in university now, can we

I know at one point in time I had to go in for some blood work about 3 weeks after I got out of hospital after almost dying, I had dropped from my normal 135 down to just above 90 pounds at 5'7" ... and the jackass nurse tried to have me sectioned for being anorectic. It took me calling my doc to get me loose. I really don't miss college life back in the early 80s ...

I do think if I were the poor girl I would seriously consider suing the hell out of Yale for the mental anguish they put her through - that has to have affected her grades and ability to study.

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post

I do think if I were the poor girl I would seriously consider suing the hell out of Yale for the mental anguish they put her through - that has to have affected her grades and ability to study.

Hell, after what they put her through, I wouldn't blame her for 100% SC and raising hell. Those fuckers really do deserve it.

Comment

let's add another layer to this, how did they get the information? It says she went to student health services and then they call her ok? well suddenly she's being threatened with expulsion, someone somewhere had to tell the administration why violating her privacy.

Comment

^

Even more fail on the schools part. I'd love to hear their reasoning for intruding on her life like this. Probably something along the lines of "we were just concerned waaaaaah!". Well if they were so concerned, why did they threaten to kick her out?

Assholes.

Comment

This isn't the first case of it. several high school students have been expelled for it(to the detriment of their recovery), it's now covered under the ADA in america.

Also eating disorders are not always about image or appearance, they're usually about control.
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

What gets me is the school is apparently so concerned about her being unhealthy that they're ready to punish her for it... thereby encouraging her to binge on junk food in a last-ditch effort to gain weight. By forcing her to be healthy they inadvertently encouraged her to be even more unhealthy. Nice going.
                        "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                        We are contented, because he says we are
                        He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by MrsEclipse View Post
                          What gets me is the school is apparently so concerned about her being unhealthy that they're ready to punish her for it... thereby encouraging her to binge on junk food in a last-ditch effort to gain weight. By forcing her to be healthy they inadvertently encouraged her to be even more unhealthy. Nice going.
                          "Oh, hey, we don't want you to have that eating disorder we assume you have without any actual evidence, so we're going to pressure you and do our best to give you the opposite eating disorder just to get us off your back."
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If this is the same Yale I'm thinking of, it's in the United States. Student Health Services would have committed a CRIME by releasing the student's medical information to the administration. Someone is begging to be trampled by an angry HIPPApotamus.

Comment

What is really disturbing to me is that eating disorders are not the only diseases/medical causes of low or unhealthy weights. Gastroparesis (GP), just as an example, is a digestive disease that slows or in some cases completely haults digestion in the stomach, making it very difficult to eat without vomiting whatever you swallow right back up. And it is often mistaken for an eating disorder, even by medical professionals, because it is not a well-known or understood disease. I have heard of more than one GP patient who has been involuntarily committed to a psych ward for an eating disorder because they could not eat or would vomit after eating due to GP.

Not saying the girl in the article necessarily has GP or another digestive disease that is causing her low weight, but what if Yale had pulled, or tries to pull this kind of stunt on someone who does?

Comment

Working...
                              X