Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobless must learn to speak English

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=2934539

Unemployment benefits could be cut for people who refuse to learn English under plans to be announced by the Government on Monday.

Welfare minister Jim Murphy will outline the plans for sanctions on benefits claimants to come into force from April.

Some 40,000 jobless people say not speaking the language is a barrier to them finding work.

Mr Murphy will say: "We must utilise the resources we have to redress the balance: to put the emphasis not just on translating language to claim a benefit, but to teaching language to get a job.

"Not just for the sake of employment rates, but for the benefit of the individual, their community and society as a whole."

The measure is part of a speech addressing unemployment rates among ethnic minorities which he will say are "unacceptable".

"It is unacceptable that ethnic minorities on average earn a third less that their counterparts across Great Britain as a whole."

Not enough of the language-learning opportunities at job centres are being taken up, he will say.

"Wherever possible, we would like them to participate in a work-focused language course, where they exist."

"People will be able and expected to look for work while they undertake any training, and in many cases there will also be the provision to carry on with the training course after they have got a job."
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this is perfectly reasonable. Where I work, I always get irritated if foreign people come up to the till to buy their food and expect me to speak their language; we're in England, so they should learn English.

If I for example moved to Spain to work, I would consider it normal to learn Spanish. I wouldn't expect everyone else to learn English so we could communicate. Also, English is an international language, so it's hardly unreasonable to expect people to learn it.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I agree. This is an excellent idea. Speaking English allows people to get better jobs, improve their standard of living, cope better with the world around them, etc etc etc.

To be honest, I think its a bit of a red herring story. It often seems to be written in terms of mild outrage, expecting lots of "liberal do-gooders" (whoever they may be - i've never actually met one) to complain how mean and racist this is. No-one ever does, because its a measure to improve people's lives, not to be mean to them.

Perhaps it could be extended to the hordes of moronic native English people that live round here, whose main means of communication is grunt-and-point.

Comment

Some 40,000 jobless people say not speaking the language is a barrier to them finding work.
        Some of them were even immigrants and without any heritage in the English language.

Unemployment benefits could be cut for people who refuse to learn English under plans to be announced by the Government on Monday.
        Well, they'll have plenty of time to learn the language, if they're not working.

It often seems to be written in terms of mild outrage, expecting lots of "liberal do-gooders" (whoever they may be - i've never actually met one)
        There are a few people at work around whom I am careful what I say. I think I know a few people.

In general, though, by not learning the language people are making themselves less employable. I like the idea, but I'm curious how much it will cost to test people compared to the money saved by not paying them.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I've got to say this sounds like a somewhat good idea. I dont see how it would really be that much more of a cost if they can come in and read and speak a paragraph or two and then show improvement in all that at a review meeting any clerk could do that. And maybe take some of the unemployed folks who do have good english speaking skills and hire them to administer the tests. Or at least as a part of their benefits package.
          Last edited by rahmota; 02-21-2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: griping about poor english skills with bad spelling = no good

Comment

The fact that (to my understanding/interpretation of the article, at least) they seem to be promoting education of the language, rather than just cutting off the aid, makes this seem like a great idea to me. So long as they make sure the focus is on pushing the education.

Count me in as one of the people who believes you should learn the native/predominant language of the country you live and work in. England/America? You should learn English. Spain/Mexico? Learn Spanish. And so on. I don't think that is in any way racist or extreme.

Also, rahmota?
            And maybe take some of the unemployed folks who do have good english speaking skills and hire them to administer the tests.
            This sounds like a great idea, actually.
            "you learn what you are, but slowly-a child, a woman, a man. a self often shattered." ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
            X