Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone needs to come back down to earth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-3-20-episodes

I am simply a fan of the show, and am not affiliated with any of the cast, crew, writing staff, producers, studio or special effects companies who produced SGU. I just looked at the situation, and asked myself "why is nobody running a kickstarter campaign to bring SGU back?".
    Rather than attempt to contact the rights holders and suggest they run a campaign, I decided to take it to the fans. We get the money together, we take a big fat cheque to those concerned, and we let that money talk. My role in the project will firstly be to get the parties in a room and work out a deal, including ensuring all backers rewards as offered can be met by these agreements. After this I will ensure the rewards offered to all backers are met, until the completion of the project.
    If funding is reached, and no agreement is reached to proceed ... a minimum 85% refund will be paid to all backers. (5% to kickstarter, and up to 5% for the payment processor, and up to 5% for the payment processor to pay the refund.)
    And then he promises dvds, digital downloads and meeting the cast, tours and more. None of which he has the rights to deliver. I love how he thinks that a season of a tv show can be made, edited and aired for 5000000 especially when 2 main characters have new shows.

further his plan is to try to talk to them, that's it, he didn't even try beforehand. The only thing he'll actually be able to deliver on is the overpriced tshirt. They'll never listen to him, further not a lawyer but isn't basically accepting money for something he doesn't own the rights to and therefore breaking the law?

I'm debating whether or not to pledge a dollar and start asking questions about how exactly he expects to pull this off and what his plan is.

it's probably just a scam.
    even if it's not, he seems like he'd be dumb enough to just hand them the cheque, no contract, and the studio would just pop it in as a "nice donation" and not use it to make the show.
    Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I'm all for some form of closure, SGU was the Voyager of the franchise (till enterprise came out) and just so happens to mimic their peril of being stranded far from the rest of their universe.

I never watched Atlantis as I don't have a TV and curiosity wasn't there to stump up for season one on DVD or even the torrenting route, I saw snippets of episodes in December when I was up at my brothers, but it didn't grab me, even having a main show character in it failed to sway my opinion of trying it out.

One or two features or a mini series to round it off would be nice, but this approach is not the way forwards.

Your goal listed is off by a zero though, I looked at that and had to highlight 3 0's to see how much it would be as it was lacking the usual 000,000 method, so when I saw your figure as 5 million, I thought maybe for an episode, the male Friends cast members commanded a million an episode at one point and after some negotiations so did the women too, iir the gap was huge but that's beside the point.

50 million on the kickstarter page is more in line with TV, but I have no idea what the budget for a season was to begin with as to whether or not it would work for a full season.

The Veronica Mars movie though run via the studio showed that there was interest via cash up front investment, if this came from the production company itself it would be worth while investing.

It's a sod when a show tanks in the states but is a hit over here, I think we bailed out farscape once and a few other shows that were due for the axe by Sci-Fi as was, it just showed that the audience outside of America was larger or keener on the show than Americans, it might be due to our limited channels at the time 5 unless you had SKY so as long as shows didn't end up at stupid O'clock, there would be an audience, but if you have too many channels to choose from, good shows slip by as they cant compete with everything shown at the same time.

And with Farscape there was another bail out attempt that fell through but I thought it odd to have "To be continued" when they had killed two main cast members off and it didn't look like they could back out of it like they could with the old B&W serials where the cliff hanger would be shown from another angle to show that hey zorro survived.
      I think both of those actors moving to SG1 well and truly nixed any idea of bringing the show back.

With shows like Farscape and SGU I would also be happy if cannon comics continued the story as if it was still made for TV, the Babylon 5 comic had ways of knitting its tales into the main narrative but not be so crucial that a viewer would miss out by not reading.

Comment

Actually Farscape was continued in comics I even met one of the writers at a convention, nice guy.

Comment

I'll look into the trades at some point then, mind you there are gaps in my farscape viewing so I might wait till I get the box set.

Comment

Working...
          X