Are you a man or a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
    I agree with the sentiment; however, I'm sure you'd agree that if you forgot to hit mute before venting about a problem customer or were otherwise caught "on-air" making insensitive remarks about your customers that you'd also be subject to discipline up to and including termination, and there'd be little you'd be able to do to defend yourself.
    This has happened more than a few times in my office to employees ( amazingly, I've never done it ), often with far far worse things than chubby wubby being said on air. They get a write up just like they would for anything else, but they are not driven out of the company. Nor is it grounds for immediate termination. Its a standard disiplinary action.

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
    Contrast that with standing next to an open mic, and saying insults about a specific person who is in the same room as them, causing immediate humiliation and embarrassment upon everyone involved.
    Its important to note here that he did not directly identify the woman and this occured before the actual session started. Its not even clear if anyone noticed at the time as no one seems to react to it. Though one aide does approach him afterwards. It seems more like everyone else asked about the remarks identified the woman by describing her ( while refusing to identify her by name, ironically. )

Its also important to note that it seems like there was already an effort underway by a group of parents to have Cote and some other members of the board removed. They even went straight to the State Education board.

Bernadette Klein, a former PTA member, told other parents before the board's meeting that "my work here is done."

Klein, who has been pressing to remove Cote from the board, and other parents said Cote and some other board members often are disparaging to parents who attend meetings and ask questions. Cote and others roll their eyes and give parents dirty looks, Klein said.

"We were trying to expose him," Klein said.
    How much truth there is to this I don't know. All of these meetings are broadcast and uploaded to Youtube but there are no other examples to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
      You seriously don't think that, do you? Sports fans can't boycott anything. I'd put the chances of NBA financials taking a hit as a result of this at close to zero... maybe a percentage point or two of revenue specifically in LA. Give it one year regardless of what the NBA does to Sterling and they'll be back to normal.

What the NBA doesn't like is how it looks and it looks like a rich white guy that said racist things owning a team comprised mainly of African-American players. It's historically uncomfortable, a public spectacle, and the players union weighed in on it. Essentially, he's an easy owner to sacrifice but I doubt the league could ever prove real financial damage as a result of Sterling.

And Sterling doesn't deserve the sympathy, but it's hard for me to pretend he was an imminent threat to anyone other than his PR team.
      Well, when the biggest players in the NBA say they won't play next year if he's still there, yes, it's going to impact them.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

What they said and what they'll actually do are two different things.

And considering any player that did it outside of the LA Clippers would be in unquestioned breach of contract, it just wouldn't end well for them.

Sterling just isn't an owner the league feels its worth playing chicken for.

Comment

There's also a big difference between "Don't let anyone know you hang out with black people" and "That woman's fat." This is a way different situation from something like what you had with Paula Deen, which is along the lines of someone who's stupidly, comically insensitive, and someone who's caught being openly both racist and abusive to is girlfriend (I'd say 'Telling someone who they can and can't be seen in public with' is abusive.)

But on the other hand, as for the venting thing, there's also a difference between "This fatso will never shut up about [x]" and "Ha ha, she's fatter every time I see her."

But bullying is more than just seeing someone and shoving them. I'd imagine most bullies don't think of the people they're bullying as innocent victims. It involves creating a culture of exclusion, and part of that is making fun of people behind their backs as well as to their face.

The dynamic between teachers and students is also much different than the dynamic between constituents and politicians. A politician should be willing to listen to their constituents. Particularly at as local of a level as school board, and at a place like this, a meeting held, apparently regularly, so that the people can voice there concerns.

If I'm there because I'm concerned about my children, and I know you're openly mocking me, how responsive should I expect you to be to my concerns? And what should I expect if my kid has a problem with bullying, if I know you're acting like a bully now?

If he'd been talking about something she did beside "Struggle with her weight" then I'd be more forgiving. Or if he was in some way obligated to do this job. I strongly doubt that this guy was unemployed and the only place with an opening was "School board." You have to run for that job. It's a much different job from customer-oriented things or teacher.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Lesson #1 of a mic...consider it like Rule #1 of handling firearms. Every firearm is loaded, every mic is turned on.

Anything less invites mistakes.
            Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
            Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
              Lesson #1 of a mic...consider it like Rule #1 of handling firearms. Every firearm is loaded, every mic is turned on.

Anything less invites mistakes.
              Yup. Rule #1 of all radio and TV stations. - Always assume the mic is hot.
              Rule #2 - Always assume you're in range of a hot mic.
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
              X