Two More Enraging Cop Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two More Enraging Cop Stories

I found both of these through fark. They are two of the most enraging stories of police misconduct I've heard of.

The first one is some asshole who hit a woman while running a stop sign. She ends up with a broken neck. As if that wasn't bad enough, asshole cop trumps up some DUI charges (she was sober) and has her arrested. When video evidence proves that the cop is a lying sake of shit, he gets punished.... nine days suspension.

The second one is even worse. We've heard a few stories where cops shoot the owners dog and try to rationalize it, but this one takes the cake. The couple did nothiing wrong other than being unfortunate enough to have a suspect run through their yard. They lose their puppy to some trigger happy cop and get arrested for "interfering with the investigation".

There are no justifications for this. NONE AT ALL.

No argument on the first one; that's just horrible. The deputy in question should be locked up.

The second one... hm. I can see both sides on this. Yes, it sucks that you can't keep our dog safe in your own backyard, but if the state of Michigan allows police officers to enter private property while in pursuit of a fugitive, then they had a right to be there. And, if I'm a police officer on a chase, adrenaline pumping, and a 10-month-old mix of labrador and pit bull charges me... then I, too, might shoot it *before* I can find out whether or not it wants to lick my hand or rip out my throat.

As to the owner: if, as the article indicates, he confronted the officers about his dead dog (understandably), then he actually is interfering with their continued pursuit of the fugitive in question. So, arresting him to get him out of the way instead of wasting more time by arguing with him does seem a prudent course of action. And the article mentions he wasn't charged with anything afterwards.

So, from the sparse information contained in that article, it seems like a tragedy, but I'm not sure whether I would necessarily call it misconduct. That would depend on the laws in that area.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Cops did nothing wrong in the second case. They were actively pursuing someone on the run and when they went behind the house, a huge freaking dog comes barreling down at them. My brother-in-law's parents own a mix black lab/pit bull. The dog will drown you in kisses if you let him. But the first time you meet him, it's a dog barking his head off and comes running up to you. A LOT of people are going to find that threatening if they don't know the dog.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Except for the fact that the dog wasn't big, it was a 10 month old puppy.

Ooh, such a big scary dog.

Even if it was a big dog, I'm not sure if this would be justified. If I were at a friends house and their dog ran up to me, would I be right in shooting it? (keep in mind, we're talking about a dog running up to me, not attacking me). These cops went in uninvited and shot the dog for being a dog. You'd have to make some pretty insane leaps to justify that.

Comment

it depends on what the dog did- if it was actively attacking them, the shooting was probably justified.

regardless, the arrest for interfering is actually legit- the cops were pursuit of a suspect, and I can only assume the dog owner prevented the officer in question from continuing the pursuit. Think about it- his actions could have let the suspect escape. THAT is the reason for that arrest.

oh, and the police might have been uninvited, but they were pursuing a fleeing suspect- they don't NEED an invite. (or a warrant, if they see anything illegal)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Cops did nothing wrong in the second case. They were actively pursuing someone on the run and when they went behind the house, a huge freaking dog comes barreling down at them. My brother-in-law's parents own a mix black lab/pit bull. The dog will drown you in kisses if you let him. But the first time you meet him, it's a dog barking his head off and comes running up to you. A LOT of people are going to find that threatening if they don't know the dog.
            That's my thought. The cops invaded the dogs territory; dogs are territorial by nature. Pit mixes can inflict awful bites. The cops had know way of knowing the dog's temperment, and if they felt threatened they have the right to use lethal force against a dog. I feel bad for the owners, I really do. But I don't think the cops were out of line.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            Meaning nearly full grown. The cop had to shoot it TWICE to put it down. So no, this was not a harmless little 8 week old bundle of cuteness.

As for the first story: what this woman really needs more than the asshole in jail is a big civil judgement to pay her medical expenses and pain and suffering.

The cop caused the accident, then lied about it. It won't be hard for a civil attorney to prove his case in court. It'll take a couple of years for the discovery process to play out, but the city will be on the hook for a major bill. By the time that's over, if the cop doesn't quit, he'll be fired.

And it won't stop the DA from filing charges later, which might well include disability fraud if this dumbass doesn't drop his claim. You can't get disability payments when your own actions cause the injury.
            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Not sure if serious.

My sister adopted a pit bull at 10 months. He was nearly fully grown at that point. Big enough that if he wanted to, he could easily maul you and you'd be done for.

There you go, pic of him at 10 months old. That comes sprinting directly at you, tell me how not scary that is.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Also Greenday, it is mixed was mixed with a black lab. I have a regular customer who told us she was going to training a new service dog for her husband, a six month old black lab. I was expecting a small sized dog and what I got was a dog that's head was already passed the counter to the cash register.

Comment

Even if it was a big dog, I'm not sure if this would be justified. If I were at a friends house and their dog ran up to me, would I be right in shooting it? (keep in mind, we're talking about a dog running up to me, not attacking me). These cops went in uninvited and shot the dog for being a dog. You'd have to make some pretty insane leaps to justify that.
                  What Greenday says.

Did you look at the video in the article you linked? The dog's head is almost as big as its owner's. So, yeah: if a dog that size comes barreling towards an armed cop chasing a suspect *at night* (REDFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. -
                  A woman says Redford Township police killed her 10-month-old Lab/pit bull mix at around midnight Sunday morning while chasing a suspect through yards in the neighborhood.
                  ), then I don't think shooting it requires insane leaps of any kind.
                  "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                  "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Okay, I'll give you that. I didn't bother with the video because I figured it would just be rehashing what the article said. That's a big pup.

That said, I stand by my original statement. If I was at a friends house and shot their dog the minute it ran up to me, I'd probably get jail time. It also sets a scary precident, that the cops can trespass and be justified in shooting anything seen as a threat.

Comment

It also sets a scary precident, that the cops can trespass and be justified in shooting anything seen as a threat.
                      I don't know who they were chasing, and for what, but if the suspect is dangerous and running through private residences, then fuck yeah I'd hope the police will do anything in their power to put an end to it.

You're making a slippery slope argument that because they trespassed and shot a dog while in pursuit of a suspect they can do that anytime. It's like reading an article about police blocking traffic because a truck jackknifed into an overpass and reasoning that it means police can just block traffic on a road anywhere.

Police sometimes have to make quick decisions under unusual circumstances, and while their judgement is not always correct, as we've seen in some cases, it doesn't mean there are times when police need to make tough decisions to arrest a dangerous suspect on the lam, and be justified in those decisions. We can't have them say, "The suspect is running through private property! Dang, they foiled us again, we can't follow them through private property! What if there's a dog in there? Let's go home."

Comment

a) it was NOT trespass. Trespass is when you're illegally on someone's property. when they are pursuing a fleeing suspect, police are exempt from trespass (the reasons shroud be obvious why)
                        b) the dog was specifically attacking the cops, or they had a legitimate belief it was. THAT is what allowed the cops to shoot at it. Plus, they literally had little choice. it was probably shoot the dog, or let the suspect go. We don't know what the suspect was accused of, but it probably wasn't an unpaid parking ticket.

Comment

That said, I stand by my original statement. If I was at a friends house and shot their dog the minute it ran up to me, I'd probably get jail time. It also sets a scary precident, that the cops can trespass and be justified in shooting anything seen as a threat.
                          The part about trespassing has already been commented on above.

The part about shooting your friend's dog... apples and oranges. Personally, if your friend let you into his house alone and failed to mention there'd be a big frickin' dog you hadn't met before... I wouldn't fault you for shooting it. But that's rather a soap-opera-scenario, I'd say. Under normal circumstances, I would expect your friend to be there when you first meet his dog, and say crap like, "That's Rufus. He's friendly, but avoid [unsafe action] around him."

Bam. No more reason to shoot your friend's dog.

Comment

Okay, I'll give you that. I didn't bother with the video because I figured it would just be rehashing what the article said. That's a big pup.

Not really, for the excellent reasons listed above. The only thing I have a problem with is cops treating every chase like a felony. They shouldn't. The supervisor should at least know why the chase is going on, and it should be serious. Petty shit should not bring out the entire force in force.
                            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Definitely the degree of the offense should have an impact on whether (or how far) the chase happens. If the guy being chased had run out of a bank where the silent alarm had been sounded (i.e. suspect in an armed robbery), that's a LOT more serious than a guy who's walking down the street smoking a joint, and takes off when he sees a cop approaching.

I'd be PISSED if my pet were killed as a result of a chase that started over "possession of pot in personal-use quantities".

Comment

Working...
                              X