From CS: Not sure how to feel about this situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
    again, if people NOT on welfare can fundraise for their team and noone cares, then the people ON welfare should be able to do the same without getting harshness. if people that CAN afford things still fundraise for extra money for luxuries, then people that CAN'T afford things should not be getting drama for doing the same.

frankly, i have respect for any kid willing to bust their ass and raise money for what they want to do than someone who thinks they can't do it because they're poor and gives up.
    And that would be fine...if it were the kid doing the selling.

But...

Originally posted by from mjr
    Recently on FaceBook, she was talking about how she signed her daughter up for pee-wee cheerleading. Then she basically pops onto FaceBook and asks people to buy some kind of handbag to help her daughter raise money for her cheerleading stuff. But it wasn't "Hey, my daughter is selling some fundraising stuff if anyone is interested." The tone was more of a "begging for people to buy stuff" kind of thing. She also asked for "donations".
    That puts it more into the realm of not being the kid doing the selling because she wants to be in the activity but the mom doing the selling and simply for the fact that she can't cover it.

And I'm not saying that her kids shouldn't be in sports or shouldn't fundraise to help pay for their sports/activities if it's something they really want to pursue. But a parent basically asking for handouts to get their child through a sport is a little EW, especially when the public view of them (especially in this day of FB and other social media) is that they're not giving up anything of their own to support their child.
    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
      That puts it more into the realm of not being the kid doing the selling because she wants to be in the activity but the mom doing the selling and simply for the fact that she can't cover it.
      needs more context. the kid could also be selling the bags as part of a fundraiser, and the mom is putting it out on fb. then it would be no diffrent then every other parent that fb spams with "hey, buy this magazine/chocolatebar/whatever the frigg my kid is selling for their team'.

also, we are well aware that tone can't be read through text. so it can be interpereted diffrently based on who is reading it. while OP may have interpereted it the way they posted, other people may have interpereted it as the mom helping her kid get the word out on selling.

besides, i already said, the mom's shit communication skills shouldn't be taken out on the kid doing the fundraising.
      Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 07-01-2014, 02:50 AM.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

If the mother is that dumb, you should be glad that the kids are getting out in society to get influences from other people. Increases the chance they won't get stuck int he same life she's in.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
          Another note:

It doesn't matter how low the general education was; if it was work for her, then it was an achievement. And she has every right to be proud; and friends and family should be proud for her.

And as someone else pointed out, it's evidence that she's attempting to improve her life (and her hire-ability), and therefore is NOT bludging or lazing about. Sure, it may be slow progress; but she's progressing and striving.
          THIS! I am glad you brought it here because I stopped reading after the dig on her education. I felt that he was determined to find fault in her. Now that I read everything, as a parent I can tell you that some school districts send you things to sell (mine was for a trip for my child because she was a 5th grader) and it was those ugly purses and handbags. It had A BIG POST TO FACEBOOK option and a tiny I do not want to opt it. I opted out. THEN THE ARE YOU SURE POPUPS CAME! I had to click 3 of them.

Comment

Personally, I'd rather see the Government be more generous to poor people and far less generous with rich ones.

Just because someone is on assistance doesn't mean that they, and their children, should be left with absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post
              THIS! I am glad you brought it here because I stopped reading after the dig on her education.
              I've mentioned before that my father's parents prevented him from being properly educated as a child. Studying in adulthood was very difficult for him, made no easier by being a parent and working more then 'full time' hours.

I think it's unfair to disparage someone's educational achievement - especially an adulthood one - simply because it's a 'child's level of schooling'. If you'd respect someone who came from an illiterate 'developing-world' environment for studying it in adulthood, why not respect someone who was, for whatever reason, denied it despite being nominally first-world?

Comment

I've mentioned before that my father's parents prevented him from being properly educated as a child. Studying in adulthood was very difficult for him, made no easier by being a parent and working more then 'full time' hours.

I think it's unfair to disparage someone's educational achievement - especially an adulthood one - simply because it's a 'child's level of schooling'. If you'd respect someone who came from an illiterate 'developing-world' environment for studying it in adulthood, why not respect someone who was, for whatever reason, denied it despite being nominally first-world?
                I think that as well. Just a couple of years ago two of my cousins finished to get their high school diplomas, they had their GEDs and good jobs but wanted an actual high school diploma. They were so proud of themselves and I was proud of them as well, but some people were like the OP and were really nasty to them on facebook telling them they earned nothing and that if they had real jobs they wouldn't need assistance. One has CDL and drives a city bus where she lives, the other is a CNA.

Comment

On the flip side, having an education doesn't make you immune to poverty. I have a master's degree and am in a rather precarious financial situation. There's not a whole lot separating me right now from homelessness.

Comment

Oh, I'm well aware of that sort of issue. Toth, Bast and I are all well educated and well qualified and/or experienced software programmers. You'd think that'd make us practically immune to financial hardship.

It's a shame disability doesn't give a damn about education, qualifications and job experience.

Toth's too busy being carer to us two girls to be able to do any other sort of work. I think that carers, at least, should be being paid a living wage not a welfare pension. Carers work fucking hard.

Comment

Ok, I think I feel the need to clarify a few things.

1. The fundraiser was not to sign the kid up. It was after the fact, and was/is supposed to be used to pay for equipment and such. Part of it, though, is that they give kids things that are hard to sell. Who's gonna buy a purse as part of a fundraiser?? Whatever happened to chocolate bars and lollipops?

Side Note: When did little league start having parents foot the bills for uniforms? When I played, the teams had sponsors ("Joe's Garage" or whatever), and the sponsor's name was on the uniform.

2. I do believe I mentioned the fact that I was glad she was working to improve herself. She does get kudos for that.

3. At this point, as someone mentioned previously, I don't think she has much of a choice but to be on assistance. It really is a bad situation she is in.

Comment

Working...
                      X