Tacky Selfie: Over Reaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    People still deny that it ever happened. Destroying the camps would get rid of the only proof left.
    I am well aware of that, but at the same time I can understand why there are survivors that want the camps gone because they are all too painful reminders of what happened to them and their loved ones. Like anything other major historical events, the memory will never entirely go away as long as it continues being taught in the schools and scholars keep on studying it. There are post-secondary courses that specialize in the time period as well. And for those people who deny the Holocaust ever happened, well, there are people who deny the moon landing ever happened but that does not stop people from knowing that it did actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by patiokitty View Post
      I am well aware of that, but at the same time I can understand why there are survivors that want the camps gone because they are all too painful reminders of what happened to them and their loved ones. Like anything other major historical events, the memory will never entirely go away as long as it continues being taught in the schools and scholars keep on studying it. There are post-secondary courses that specialize in the time period as well. And for those people who deny the Holocaust ever happened, well, there are people who deny the moon landing ever happened but that does not stop people from knowing that it did actually happen.
      It's a tough issue. While the holocaust was a terrible event in human history, it's also a significant and important one, and one that we should never truly forget, lest we repeat it again. There's a lot of literature and artifacts which help, but I can imagine that visiting the actual landmarks and touring the areas are a powerful emotional experience which, for some, is important to grasp just how atrocious the events were.

I can definitely understand why some want them demolished, and if they did demolish them, there's not a bone in my body that would miss them. But, I can also understand why some want to preserve them as very dark reminders of just how cruel humanity can be. In a sense, demolishing them just for the purpose of "forgetting" or softening the emotions that the buildings can invoke is a motive in censorship.

Comment

The only thing I really hate about selfies is how stupid the word "selfie" sounds. I know I'm not alone on this.

Comment

There was some bullying going on. And there was a huge over reaction. I can see where she is coming from. Fulfilling a journey that was planned and loved between a father and daughter. She made it. It probably was a bittersweet moment for her. Of course she ruined that being excited over being "famous".

I went to the 9-11 memorial in NYC. I did smile, not happily. Just a little smile. Was it tacky to? I don't know. I was happy to find where my mom's friend's name was, happy to be with my family and with my love.

Comment

I think her picture was insensitive; that said I don't understand some of the responses, and I think they were over the top and disgusting. It is also clear that she doesn't understand why people are offended by her picture.

I have never been to Auschwitz or Germany, but if I ever get the chance to visit a concentration camp, I will go to the part of the camp where the Nazi's worked and/or lived and I will take a picture of myself smiling at that location as a big, old fat f**k you to them - if they'd had their way, I wouldn't exist (I am the grandchild of survivors).

Comment

Originally posted by patiokitty View Post
              My opinion on the whole matter is mixed. Yes, it is horrible what happened at Auschwitz but it is time to move on. Never forget it and work to ensure it never happens again, but those sites? Bulldoze them and, at most, erect a small memorial about the events that happened, and then create new buildings and new memories of the place. Why keep these obvious reminders of such a cruel era? The memories of those atrocities should be more than enough, especially with places like the Holocaust Museum being in existence and children being taught about what happened (unless you're a student in Germany - they avoid teaching students about this sort of stuff because it is still so painful a part of their history).

Uh... come again, please? Do you SERIOUSLY believe that the Holocaust is not taught to German students? And, if so: where on Earth would you ever get that idea?
              "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
              "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

And, if so: where on Earth would you ever get that idea?
                Possibly confusing Germany for Japan? I know Japan is less open about its history there.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I've been to Auschwitz. How that person could smile is beyond me.

Slightly baffling was the way the concessions kiosk sold ham sandwiches...

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Why shouldn't they?
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's escalated to death threats. People need to get a life.

Comment

People are acting like there is a set rule for not smiling in such places, no matter the reason. I get her reason, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by bex1218 View Post
                          People are acting like there is a set rule for not smiling in such places, no matter the reason. I get her reason, I really do.
                          I feel compelled to restate my previous point: She's the one specifically fame whoring it up with the selfie. She is not some poor victim being bashed by the internet. She's attention whoring this and retweeting it. As well as retweeting anyone that supports her.

Which has led to her inadvertently retweeting some anti-semetic neo-Nazi shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                            Why shouldn't they?
                            Didn't provide any English mustard to go with it.

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Good answer! Clapclapclap
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                                I've been to Auschwitz. How that person could smile is beyond me.
                                Again, having always intended to go their with her father and finally being able to go there, even if he wasn't able to be there with her. Pretty emotional.
                                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                                X