University Students Invent Fingernail Polish that Detects Date Rape Drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Students Invent Fingernail Polish that Detects Date Rape Drugs

Four students at North Carolina State University have developed a fingernail polish that changes color when it's exposed to Rohypnol, Xanax, and GHB. While I applaud their efforts, it's really sad that this is necessary.

These College Students Are Making A Nail Polish That Changes Color When Exposed To Date Rape Drugs
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

I`ve seen the colour changing straws, coasters, glasses, and litmus strip like papers. Good on them for doing this, your sure not to forget to bring your painted nails out to drink, unlike an object of some sort.

What worries me is not that it has come to this, but that if you haven`t heard of all of the existing technology it is not being advertised properly, so people aren`t using the tools available to keep them safer.

Comment

^Yeah, exactly. If it weren't for Tumblr, I wouldn't have a clue about color-changing anything.
      "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I like it, but it doesn't sound like the most sanitary method of testing.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Heh, yeah I was kind of thinking that.

I wonder if a chemical reaction or detector couldn't be made cheap enough to simply be made part of a glass or attached to existing glasses by default. If every glass in the bar could indicate a date rape drug it would weed out these fuckers pretty damn fast and at least you'd feel somewhat safer drinking there.

Even if it just clipped on to the rim or something. If it changed colour you'd know and if it went suspiciously missing or you saw a guy take it off a glass you'd definitely know.

Comment

Yeah, but it's no less sanitary than eating with your fingers, which people do all the time.

This is a great idea; much better than anything you have to remember to bring with you or rely on the location to supply, and easier to use discreetly than testing strips.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              Even if it just clipped on to the rim or something. If it changed colour you'd know and if it went suspiciously missing or you saw a guy take it off a glass you'd definitely know.
              I can see a problem with clipped-on devices (or coasters) provided by the bar - a PREPARED creep could substitute an inert look-a-like. Intended victim tests her drink on it to be sure it hasn't been drugged after she turned her back on it, device doesn't change colour, so she thinks she's safe.

Another risk, even for "bring your own", is that it tests for specific substances. Creep uses a substance that the device doesn't test for? No reaction, so device gives a false sense of security.

Many years ago, when fenantyl-based "designer drugs" were coming out, junkies were testing negative for heroin because the test looked for heroin, but they were consuming a substance with a similar pharmocological effect that the test didn't look for.

Comment

How so? Take a sample of the drink, drip it on your nails.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  This is a great idea; much better than anything you have to remember to bring with you or rely on the location to supply, and easier to use discreetly than testing strips.
                  Fark discreet. Be brazen about it. Maybe if these assholes saw women checking their drinks they might start thinking twice. Or at least return to being potential serial killer's on Craig's List. -.-

Originally posted by wolfie
                  I can see a problem with clipped-on devices (or coasters) provided by the bar - a PREPARED creep could substitute an inert look-a-like. Intended victim tests her drink on it to be sure it hasn't been drugged after she turned her back on it, device doesn't change colour, so she thinks she's safe.
                  Fuck it, lets go with a trigger lock. Someone make a cap that can adjust to fit over any typical glass that only comes off when it detects the rf signal coming from the owner's bracelet.

Maybe it can shriek or something as a tamper alarm so everyone in the bar can turn and look and the fuckhead trying to drug your drink. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                    How so? Take a sample of the drink, drip it on your nails.
                    Because bars are filthy places and you are now putting your finger in the drink.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

many people eat bar nuts, least said ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                        many people eat bar nuts, least said ...
                        I know, just saying though.

Comment

Because bars are filthy places and you are now putting your finger in the drink.
                          I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting taking a sample of the drink and dripping some over the nails.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                            I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting taking a sample of the drink and dripping some over the nails.
                            Well, you could do that, but that might not be enough sample.

Comment

Some activists believe this promotes rape culture

I disagree with the notion that we can't teach both defensive measures against getting raped while also teaching others to treat women (and anyone else) with respect. Especially in the interim stage where we start to dismantle whatever "rape culture" is occurring and, over time, reduce the instances of rape in society. Criticizing the invention doesn't help the cause much at all, because guess what? We're in a spot now where a lot of people sadly feel this is necessary, and it's not going to go away with the flip of a switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X