What has happened to the police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to the police?

Look I thought these people had training at some point, things that say like "when the guy puts his hands up and surrenders you stop shooting"
    "you don't just randomly shoot people for the hell of"

Basically I'm asking this because of this dashcam video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-XFYTtgZAlE

stopped at gas station out of car, cop asks for his license so he reaches back into the car for his license and the cop opens fire hitting him in the leg.

he backs up his hands in the air and the cop keeps shooting.

Seriously what the hell?

I'll let you take a guess at the races of both people.

oh and apparently this is over a seatbelt violation.

I dare you to defend the cop, I dare you.

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
    He's been fired and charged with a felony at this point-within a *WEEK* of the incident.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Wow. I don't even.

Thats even worse than the cops just straight up shooting the black guy at Walmart with the BB gun without even telling him they were there. At least this guy got charged though. A grand jury actually decided there wasn't any evidence to indict the officer that just straight up shot the guy at Walmart when the guy wasn't even looking.

In other news, the Ferguson police chief just apologized. Which, aside from being too little too late, makes me worry about what sort of bombshell is about to come out of the grand jury there that he's trying to run damage control on.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
        Nope, not me. I've seen the video.

Granted, diving into a vehicle is a bad idea. He never should have got out of the car.

But shooting up the kid for going into the car was not justified. The officer had the drop on the kid; all he had to say was FREEZE! Don't Move!

Shooting the kid when his hands were up was just reflex I think; once the finger starts pulling, it's hard to stop. The officer had probably already pulled the trigger when the hands flew up. However, the shooting wasn't justified to start with and if they cop DID pull the trigger knowing the hands were up, that just makes it more reprehensible.
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Unless there was a gun in the front seat, that's just plain FUBAR.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
            Nope, not me. I've seen the video.

Granted, diving into a vehicle is a bad idea. He never should have got out of the car.
            he got out of the car because he's at a gas station and was getting gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
              Shooting the kid when his hands were up was just reflex I think; once the finger starts pulling, it's hard to stop.
              If this is true, that is bad training, IMHO.

Interesting that accordingly to CNN he earned a medal due to shooting and disabling a man. He stopped a driver who ran away and then shot him and another police man.
              Last edited by SkullKing; 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

It's terrible and disgusting that this happened, but at least the police department responded properly this time. Hopefully that will be a trend, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

when even Greenday isn't defending the cop...

seriously, it is juts fucked up- the only explanation I can think of is that the cop thought the kid was reaching for a gun, but if the kid didn't reach into the car, how was he supposed to get out his license and insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
                    It's terrible and disgusting that this happened, but at least the police department responded properly this time.
                    Sadly, I'm sure it's because there was video footage... and even then, who knows what would happen if the footage were not made public?

Comment

Wow.

There is absolutely no defending the cop here. I'm pretty sure cop training includes 'Use of deadly force is not authorized until your life or that of others is threatened.' A guy reaching back into his car could be considered suspicious, yes, but unless the cop actually saw him come back out with a gun in hand, then he was totally in the wrong to open fire. Even then, the guy has to actually try to point it at you before you should even consider pulling that trigger. This was a gross over-reaction on the part of the cop.

Comment

The only good thing I can say about this is at least the guy survived... oh, and the sparks didn't ignite the fuel.

One thing to note is if the guy even had a gun, the officer's shot would have done jack shit to mitigate the situation, since the guy was still able to get out of the car with his item in hand, and it took a few other shots to get him on the ground. If the guy came out with a gun, the cop would almost surely be shot.

Comment

Even if you could argue that he felt his life was threatened or some bullshit, you still have a cop who shot someone over nothing. By that same logic, we could shoot anyone who we suspect is after us because hey, better safe than sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                            when even Greenday isn't defending the cop...

seriously, it is juts fucked up- the only explanation I can think of is that the cop thought the kid was reaching for a gun, but if the kid didn't reach into the car, how was he supposed to get out his license and insurance?
                            Well, typically, when you get pulled over you inform the cop of your actions before you just reach for something hidden (registration, insurance). It's a high adrenaline situation as you never know what you are going to get. Is he grabbing information or is he grabbing a weapon? Unfortunately, the cop was ridiculously dumb and made the wrong choice.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              Well, typically, when you get pulled over you inform the cop of your actions before you just reach for something hidden (registration, insurance). It's a high adrenaline situation as you never know what you are going to get. Is he grabbing information or is he grabbing a weapon? Unfortunately, the cop was ridiculously dumb and made the wrong choice.
                              The kid may have been young enough to know to announce before hand, or just not thinking straight enough to announce what he was doing, and was just blindly following the order to get his license/insurance without saying what he was doing first, or to say where it was so the cop could verify it.

Doesn't excuse the cop at all of course, but it is a high adrenaline situation for all parties, even if race isn't a factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X