No announcement yet.

Unfair to all concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those trans-continental flights are bad no matter what, I think. Sometimes even adults can get stir-crazy and obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      This whole world does not need to cater to children and people with children. What about those of us who are punished (monetarily speaking) because we aren't married or don't have kids? Where's our fun and safe place?
      Yup.

I tend to agree with the late, great George Carlin in his views on kids and "child worship". To paraphrase, "Nobody cares about your kids! That's why they're your kids, for you to worry about them!" Now, specific kids, like my niece and nephew, are fine. (Of course, my niece and nephew know how to behave themselves in public.) However, the general idea of kids...yeah.

And there should be places you don't take kids - bars, grown-up nice restaurants (after a certain time period), the theatre (No, that David Mamet play is not appropriate for your 5 year old), most movies (especially at night). Whatever happened to "children should be seen and not heard"?

And having kids is not special nor miraculous. Happens all the time. I can think of a thousand things that require more effort than popping out a baby that don't get nearly as much attention.

Comment

I try not to be upset by children who are being properly managed, but I simply cannot help it.

The child's inability to deal with - say - boredom and stress of a long flight, clashes with my pain-reaction to loud noises, and my own pain and stress in a long flight.

So yeah, even when the parents are doing everything possible, noisy or hyperactive children cause me additional stress and pain.

Of course, it's then my responsibility, and my carer's responsibility, to handle my desire to stand up and scream to the kid to shut the **** up....

... or worse ...

But yeah. Anyone loud or obnoxious (wittingly or un-), in a confined space with anyone with a stress, anxiety, pain or related disorder ... well, it's BAD. Really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          I tend to agree with the late, great George Carlin in his views on kids and "child worship". To paraphrase, "Nobody cares about your kids! That's why they're your kids, for you to worry about them!"
          I think that's a rather short-sighted attitude. One day I'll be elderly, possibly infirm, and retired. But I'll still need to eat, live in a well-built shelter, shop, travel....and those "kids" I may have found so annoying in my youth will be making it all possible.

No man is an island. We live in a society, and like it or not, we all depend on each other. I do care about other people's kids. I care about their health, their safety, and their education. I have to.

Comment

I think he was referring mostly to those who have to show everyone pictures of their kids, tell you stories about their kids, whose lives are totally wrapped up in their children and think yours should be, too. Yes, I care about kids well-being, however, I also care about the well-being of adults. I don't think we should stop worrying about people when they turn 18 - that they stop being more 'special' than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
              What got me about the child who bugged me was not just the fact that he was being an annoying brat, but that his parents were not taking any notice of him at all. Even after the crazy lady in front told him she'd break his legs. O_o
              Well, mine wouldn't have gotten away with kicking for any longer than it took me to notice...but a threat would have gotten a *bit* of attention from me as well Of course, me taking care of my kids to begin with would have prevented the threat...so fairly moot point

I've taken my kids to places people say you 'shouldn't'...mainly because my Wife and me wanted to go out as well. The main difference is, if they started acting up, I'd take them *out* of the area...and have spent a good amount of time bored off me arse waiting in the car with whichever one was being an brat
              Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Ah planes, a total pain. I don't mind the baby/child crying at take off/landing, it hurts, they cry, it's natural. I think I would hate the child running around or being a general pain to everyone else. My difficulties have usually been with adults - putting their seat back on my knees etc. Most annoying was the guy from Darwin to Brisbane who had his knee well within the area of my seat and I was cramped up. Gee mate, sorry, didn't realise your genitals were so huge, are you in a medical book?

But they have been flights within Australia. Think if a kid screamed from Sydney to London I'd go spare. But their parents would probably be going mad as well. I'm waiting for the rocket planes, or until I can go first class. I'm too tall for cattle class overseas.

Note - I worked with a woman who's father was posted overseas when she was a kid. Because of their family the rules were changed to make business class the basic for all overseas work trips for public servants. There were a lot of kids involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia727 View Post
                  The level of my irritation with children is inversely proportional to the level of parental effort. .
                  Complete and total WORD to this!!!!

The same applies in restaurants, or any public gathering. I love kids, but I get SOOOO fucking pissed when I'm in a restaurant and there is a kid wailing/acting up, whose parents are doing ZERO to correct or control them.

I figure, dammit, when my kids were little, I put in my time of hauling them out of restaurants, packing food to go, etc when they acted up. I did this because no one should be held hostage to MY kids bad behavior.

I find it absolutely APPALLING when parents simply look the other way when little precious is terrorizing a public place. And you know what, its getting WORSE!!! When my kids were little (15+ years ago), it was somewhat rare to see a kid acting up whose parents let them run wild. Nowadays, it seems to be almost commonplace. Can someone explain this unfortunate trend to me?

Like Sylvia said, when I'm out and a kid is crying and the parent is actively trying to soothe the child and/or control the situation, I'm a hell of alot more tolerant. Kids will be kids. The difference is how the parents handle it.
                  Last edited by Peppergirl; 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

If me and K ever take our kids to NZ from Van, 13 hour flight (we dont have to go through LAX anymore YAYYYYYY)

they will be drugged, heavily drugged. We will be flying overnight, and they will be getting a sedative to put the buggers to sleep as soon as we take off.
                    They will also have person dvd players (ONE EACH) with headphones and presents gift wrapped to be opened if they behave and keep quiet. We have already discussed a battle plan for how to keep ourselves sane during the flight. I dont need death glares coming my way.

Thats right, I fully plan on drugging and bribing my kids to behave. That 13 hour flight is hard enough on me without having to deal with squaling kids keeping me awake and that includes my own in the future.
                    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

There are a lot of screaming from children even if you take an really early morning flight. I do understand that children are sensitive to the pressure change. A parent can give there child decongestant to help. I do this every time I fly to make it easier on me.

The main thing is that parents think that there children are in a confined space so the kids can't get into trouble. I think kids can get into just as much trouble in a plane as anywhere else. I personally would pay more if I could get on a child free flight.
                      "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Working...
                      X