• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A city that makes New York's Police Dept

Stop and Frisk policy look like a bunch of Boy Scouts

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le1958408.html

http://fusion.net/story/5568/florida...ds-suspicious/

There is one man who got stopped/frisked/arrested 200 times. MANY MANY times for Criminal Trespass AT HIS PLACE OF WORK WHILE AT WORK WHILE ON THE CLOCK.

In 5 years there were over 65,000 contact reports. This group includes children as young as 7 years old.

Officers apparently were told to stop ALL Black males between 15 and 30 no matter what.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I'd like to know what crime is really like in this city...since it sounds like the police department has nothing better to do than harass citizens for no good reason. I'm all for preventing crime, but this is *not* the way to do it. All this is doing is generating some serious anger towards the police.

Comment

Up here in Rhode Island, there was a hit and run that involved a white male in his 20s or 30s driving a white vehicle (I forget the specific model). The police's solution? Pull over every single car of that model and if it was driven by a white male, arrest them. My wife's friends were driving home from the hospital and got pulled over. The guy wasn't even driving. They woke him up and arrested him because they had a taillight out. When they got there, there was six other guys who had been arrested for driving a white car of that model. In the end, they were all released, and my wife's friend was given a ticket for running through a stop sign (Which they didn't do and he wasn't even driving).
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wait, Greenday joined a cop thread and made a post on the anti-cop side?

The end is nigh.
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
          Wait, Greenday joined a cop thread and made a post on the anti-cop side?

The end is nigh.
          The stop and frisk policies make no legal sense. I tend to side with the law and the cops are not acting within the law when doing this.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Regardless if you agree with the politics, "The New Jim Crow" is a good book on this topic if for no other reason it goes into the systems and why they're there.

Stop and Frisk is self sustaining because while it fails 99.9% of the time, the .1% of the time it pays off and the police are able to arrest someone they are able to keep what they had on them whether or not they ultimately charge them with a crime. If you had some dope on you, you're not getting back your wallet or your iphone etc. The department keeps it and their budget is built with that in mind. Asset forfeiture can be big business to a department and simple stop and frisks can point departments in the direction of more loot.

And it does fulfill a departmental need to have drug arrests which allows them access to pools of federal money for the department. So the fact that most of the stop and frisks don't work are irrelevant because it works on the same principle some people use for dating and sales. It's about casting the net as wide as possible without putting yourself in a position to get in trouble.

Doing it to those on the lower end of the economic spectrum is doing it to those who are least able to fight back legally. It's safe and it pays.

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
              MANY MANY times for Criminal Trespass AT HIS PLACE OF WORK WHILE AT WORK WHILE ON THE CLOCK.
              WTF? If he's at work, and on the clock, clearly his employer has given him permission to be there. If they didn't want him there, they'd fire him. Has Miami been hiring CRML's bouncers as police officers?

Comment

Ah, I remember this one.

However, there is still one key difference between this and the NYPD.

This police chief actually had to resign -.-

Originally posted by protege View Post
                I'd like to know what crime is really like in this city...since it sounds like the police department has nothing better to do than harass citizens for no good reason.
                From the article:

Under Boyd’s leadership, crime numbers have remained among the highest in the county. Each year, about 25 people are murdered in Miami Gardens. In the county, only Miami has had more murders on a yearly basis than Miami Gardens.
                So yeah, it has high crime rates, but no, none of what these dipshits did helped in any way.
                Last edited by Gravekeeper; 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X