If you're not entitled to a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're not entitled to a job

then what the hell are you supposed to do?

The same people who spout this line about jobs being a privilege are usually the same people who want to cut welfare and food stamps. They'll tell someone to "get a job" if they think they're lazy... except that they also believe you're not entitled to a job. Wtf?

I mean, I get that some effort is required to show you're interested and capable, but not everyone 'stands out', as many people who bitch about entitlement say you need to get a job. And the more I think about it, the more I realize how f'ed up that is. There should be nothing wrong with being average, but by the logic of douchebag bloggers linked above, those people don't deserve a job.

And really, wanting a job shouldn't be that much to ask for. You do stuff for them and they pay you. Both parties benefit. It should not be something you have to jump through hoops to get.

actually, it's more reasonable than it sounds. For most jobs, they don't just want a warm body. Thye want somebody who would be good at the job they want to fill. THAT is what is meant by "standing out".

I've actually seen advice from the other side of things- a hiring manager- who mentioned that they are looking for someone who'se a good fit for the role- they aren't interested in what you were supposed to do at your last job, but what you actually did.

as you say, there isn't anything wrong with being average. but if you ARE average, and they have above average available...

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post

as you say, there isn't anything wrong with being average. but if you ARE average, and they have above average available...
      But that's the problem. The jobs in which I was told I needed to be 'the best' were minimum wage jobs stocking shelves... And it's not like I didn't have anything to show (I did volunteer work and going to college). I'm just not number 1, or more importantly, not living to work.

Comment

In my experience, the most valuable skill for landing a job is the ability to quickly befriend hiring managers. I've seen more than a few incompetent jackasses go far on the strength of liking the same brand of beer and football team as their boss.
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Usually most people spouting off about getting a job have no clue about how economies work, capitalist economies need a certain level of unemployment, inflation is insane otherwise, it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that those people are able to live when they are unemployed but it has become the mainstay of conservative governments to punish people for being unemployed even though the economy requires it.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

The problem is that there are more people than there are jobs available to be done by the people available.

We're trying to use an industrial age work model for a world that's moved on into the information age, and our inability to move on has been causing problems for the last couple of decades.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              But that's the problem. The jobs in which I was told I needed to be 'the best' were minimum wage jobs stocking shelves... And it's not like I didn't have anything to show (I did volunteer work and going to college). I'm just not number 1, or more importantly, not living to work.
              My point still stands, though- if they have a candidate they know will be above average at stacking shelves, why would they hire somebody average at stacking shelves?

I think can see the problem you're having though. Assuming you graduated college, you're probably over-qualified somewhat for stocking shelves. They're probably worried that you'll get bored doing the job, and jump ship in a year or two. What was the degree you did in?

Comment

Working...
              X