Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear for the next generation.

Going to start by saying two things.

1. I am only 26 but the 20(ish) year olds I know scare me.

2. I realise this is a generalisation but if the majority of the population acts this way then it still scares me.

Most interactions I have with 20 year olds theses days astonish me with how entitled they are.

One of the F&B supervisors has taken 2 weeks off over new years. When I mentioned this suprised me as it is the busy season I got the reply of well it is the only time she go away with her family.

1. She lives in the same city as her family.

2. Way to not care about your coworkers (we are a very small team 8 F&B staff total).

The person defending her tried to say it is harder for students (um did that for 5 years no living away from your family is just as hard student or not)

When I stated I have had jobs in the past that blanket refused time off over Dec / Jan she tired to argue that is illegal. Nope over here you are gaurented 4 weeks off when it mutually suites you and your employer.

I then mentioned how yeah it sucks not getting holidays off but that is the price you pay for working is hospitality. And that I wouldn't get to see my partner for Xmas as we will have opposite shifts. She tried to tell me that if you say you can't work a shift then they can't make you work it.

I argued back with laws and was told it is a different world now.

The work attuide is just one example. I've noticed lately that no one goes flatting anymore I would say 50% of them live in studio rooms. Another 30% live in flats that the landlord acts like there mummy (furnished, rent includes all bills). Flatting can be .... not fun. But it is an important experience in learning to get along with people and that bit everything will be your way all the time.

I know I have a lot more issues with young people but I have vented and feel better.

Originally posted by munchkin View Post
    But it is an important experience in learning to get along with people and that bit .
    I would dispute that. I didn't learn shit about the world or being an adult until AFTER I stopped living with roommates and lived on my own.

As for getting holidays off though, hah! You work for a 24/7 industry you work 24/7 >.>

Comment

Maybe it's because I haven't worked much outside of on call positions, but the supervisor requesting time off doesn't sound like that unreasonable of a request (even if she doesn't live far from her family). Had she frequently done this, then I'd understand the annoyance, but it sounds like a once a year thing.

As for the flats and people choosing not to live with others, why is that a bad thing? Flatting isn't for everyone. While probably cheaper overall, if they can afford a cheap place to live without relying on others, why shouldn't they go for it?

Comment

I suspect it may be a local problem for you, most of the 20-ish-year-olds around here are working harder (college, jobs, trying to get financially stable, etc.) since the job market here is so poor, outside of agriculture and the film industry.

However, my 15-year-old SIL refuses to believe that a lemon is a fruit, she thinks it's just a scent that cleaners come in. So I understand fearing for the next generation.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin View Post
          The work attuide is just one example. I've noticed lately that no one goes flatting anymore I would say 50% of them live in studio rooms. Another 30% live in flats that the landlord acts like there mummy (furnished, rent includes all bills). Flatting can be .... not fun. But it is an important experience in learning to get along with people and that bit everything will be your way all the time.

I know I have a lot more issues with young people but I have vented and feel better.
          um, over here in the UK, it's always been fairly common for flats to be furnished and have utilities included- it's not quite acting like mummy ( acting like mummy would be if food and laundry was included as well)

as for flatting being important- yes and no. it can indeed teach valuable skills ( compromise, how to organize chores, stuff like that) however, it can also go spectacularly wrong. ( to give one example, if one person is expected to do all the chores, the situation can rapidly become intolerable- especially if the other roommates ganged up to force it. To give another example, if whoever is in charge of the rent decides to be a deadbeat, that can sour things for the other flatmates- who are, after all, jointly and severally liable for the entire amount of the rent.

Comment

Young people are nearly always spectacularly entitled; it's a symptom of being young and immature. Most people grow out of it. Some grow out of it when they're quite young, some never do.

As for flatting (never heard that term before, then again, people don't call them flats in the US), I've been in a few group housing situations and they have gone... not well. Thankfully, nothing horrific, but we did have one housemate who was a klepto and would steal random shit from everybody (including himself for some reason) and stash it under his bed. >_<

Thankfully nothing like one of the CS/Fratching people who has a housemate that likes to use the bathroom with the door open... and has to keep dishes in their room to keep them from being used and never cleaned...
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
              I've noticed lately that no one goes flatting anymore I would say 50% of them live in studio rooms. Another 30% live in flats that the landlord acts like there mummy (furnished, rent includes all bills). Flatting can be .... not fun. But it is an important experience in learning to get along with people and that bit everything will be your way all the time.
              If you can afford a place by yourself, why not? You should have gotten enough socialization from school, and you are likely to get a lot more at the workplace. And when you're dating someone, there's lots to learn about compromise and sharing that even roommates can't teach you. And, believe me, as someone who has lived with roommates, the ones who haven't learned to get along with people by the time they're with roommates will never learn.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              Young people are nearly always spectacularly entitled; it's a symptom of being young and immature. Most people grow out of it. Some grow out of it when they're quite young, some never do.
              A lot of whether they grow out of it depends on their upbringing. If one's parents are encouraging them to whine and pout to get what they want, they're going to think that's how the world works when they get older. Same goes for parents who blindly defend them (e.g. "Oh my precious little snowflake could NEVER get in trouble at school! You must be mistaken, principle!") and won't take no for an answer (e.g. "What do you mean you can't give my princess the lead role in the school musical? Can't you tell she's the next Idina Menzel?") And, of course, once they themselves become parents, guess what they're going to teach their child?

My wife and father-in-law are each teachers (both of them adjunct professors and high school teachers; my wife also does drama education). What they've told me is there have always been those awful parents who either passively or actively encourage entitlement. Those trends, by themselves, aren't changing. The difference is in how the school administrations deal with it. It used to be the principles and deans sided with the teachers when it was appropriate. They've been noticing an increasing trend of administrators siding more with the parents, even if they really shouldn't be. A sort of "the customer (parent) is always right" philosophy taking hold. That only encourages this kind of entitlement belief to continue.

Comment

Working...
              X