"Entitlement" vs "Worthiness"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Entitlement" vs "Worthiness"

A good blog post by Seth Godin on Entitlement vs Worthiness.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b...th%27s+Blog%29

I think the last two lines tie it up nicely:

"I'm not worthy," isn't a useful way to respond to success. And neither is, "that's it?"

It might be better if we were just a bit better at saying, "thank you."

Er, what's your stance on this?

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I THINK what mjr is saying that if you feel entitled to something, then recieving it is no more than receiving your due- that is, it feels like someone is just doing the minimum possible. While not receiving it feels like a grave insult, because you should get it. On the other hand, excessive modesty about what you have achieved- "I'm not worthy"- is also counterproductive, since it can cause it's own issues. (Imposter Syndrome, which can cause someone to be too defensive about their new position, or, if they have won recognition of some kind for an achievement, not making best use of said recognition to inspire others)

Basically, it's saying that people should neither feel the universe owes them something just for being alive- I personally think you are owed, ultimately, enough to scrape by, but not necessarily more than that- nor feel that they are unworthy of their actual achievements.

Provided it doesn't turn to scorn for people who are in difficulties for reasons other than laziness- people with disabilities that prevent them from working, for example, or who literally cannot find a job that pays them enough to support themselves- it is a fair enough attitude.

Comment

s_stabeler:

I think you summed it up pretty well with your comments.

Comment

Working...
        X