Starbucks Cups Outrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbucks Cups Outrage

So there's been a huge shitstorm over starbucks changing their Christmas cups. To some fundies changing cups = hating Jesus and declaring war on Christmas. And now Mr Trump is weighing in encouraging the boycott of starbucks. You'd think they'd be supportive of Starbucks for what they do for veterans, but they're too busy going apeshit over cups.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
    You'd think they'd be supportive of Starbucks for what they do for veterans, but they're too busy going apeshit over cups.
    Hahaha! So, out of a perverse desire to make sure my FB feed doesn’t become a complete echo chamber, I have Glenn Beck liked. The comments on this kept talking about how Starbucks didn't support troops. Fortunately, they've been shouted down.

I will say that the comments on the topic are some of the best I've seen on his feed.
    I has a blog!

Comment

The whole thing is dumb and the outrage over the fabled "War on Christmas" is the definition of privilege. Trying to force a private corporation to cater to their religion. Funny how these people seem to be the same who are all for "small" government when it comes to corporations.

I like how Dunkin Donuts has strategically pushed out it's holiday season cups and they are pretty damn Christmasy. Maybe all the non-Christians should start a protest against DD.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

It's times like these when I want to yell at the people complaining about these things, "The world DOESN'T revolve around you!"

Though I actually haven't seen a single person get upset about the cups, besides in quotes used by media sources. Every single comment I've read about it is pretty much of the "Who cares? It's a cup!" variety.

Comment

The reason no one is actually upset about it is because this is an excellent example of manufactured outrage. It's a non-issue that's so ridiculous the media picked it up and ran with it, giving the people who wanted this to be a thing the exposure and attention they want. So if we stop talking about it, it returns to being a non-issue and people can stop righteously defending an enormous corporation that won't lose any real money over this whole thing.

Comment

Edit: Well that was totally the wrong thread. In my defense I am heavily medicated. >.>

But yeah, manufactured outrage. Pretty stupid at that seeing as previous to this there was nothing specifically Christ-mas related on the cups they had around the holidays. They were all fairly benign wintery themed.

Even then they haven't had any specific images on them for the last 2 years it looks.
            Last edited by Gravekeeper; 11-12-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

To be honest, I have seen zero reactions to the cup itself. I've only seen reactions to the outrage, which kinda makes me wonder how big the outrage really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                To be honest, I have seen zero reactions to the cup itself. I've only seen reactions to the outrage, which kinda makes me wonder how big the outrage really is.
                It was started by an evangelical dipshit on Facebook who specializes in making dipshit statements on social media. He was on CNN yesterday and actually went into the "Obama is a secret Muslim" thing mid Starbucks rant. Then when CNN cut him off he crawled back to Facebook to whine about CNN cutting him off when he tried to tell the "truth" about Obama.

So, yeah. Evangelical dipshit with a persecution complex and too much time on his hands masturbating his ego on Facebook in an attempt to become a social media darling.

He describes himself as thus on his own website:

"Joshua Feuerstein (January 7, 1981) is an American evangelist, internet and social media personality. In recent months, Feuerstein has gained Facebook fame and half a million followers as a result of his motivational videos that deal with interpersonal, social and religious issues.

Feuerstein’s charisma and his bold, passionate and distinctive communication style resonates with the Millennial Generation. Realizing the prevailing disillusionment with society, politics and organized religion, Feuerstein endeavors to speak to and reach people in a way they can relate and understand."

Comment

So, you can get something totally red and green, and that, apparently, is "Not Christmas."

Snowmen and sleds, however, are.
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I work at a non-starbucks coffee shop. Today I had a grown ass man demand to know if our cups said Merry Christmas, I said no, and tried to humor him with "But hey- they're red and green and say Joy!". Cue a mini-toddler tantrum over how "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS RUINING THIS COUNTRY! IN MY DAY WE SAID MERRY CHRISTMAS AND NO ONE CARED!" and a huge rant where I couldn't get a word in edgewise (not even to explain that Merry Christmas wasn't on the cups last year either for either franchise)... and finishing with complete sincerity that "We should all just move to Russia. Putin is a stronger leader."

The outrage is small but real, and it's fueled by an incredible amount of dumb.

Comment

Bearded Shouty Guy started this, and it got this much attention largely without the one-point source even being reported? Amazing.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
                        It's times like these when I want to yell at the people complaining about these things, "The world DOESN'T revolve around you!"
                        Unfortunately, if you did that, they'd scream "persecution" and attempt to rip you a new asshole on your Facebook wall. I had someone do that, so I mentioned the pagan-ness of the "Christmas" symbols, and it probably blew their feeble little mind But seriously, these assholes simply see "oppression" and "persecution" everywhere they look. Pretty sad, actually. However, if they want to give themselves a heart attack over something so stupid...who am I to stop them?

Comment

I saw on Facebook last week that someone did the "my name is Merry Christmas" thing at my old store's cafe...a Barnes and Noble Cafe. Which serves Starbucks coffee, but is not a Starbucks, and has never had seasonal red cups.

Never mind that it's November!
                          I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

Working...
                          X