Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name a [whatever] without a [common letter] in it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a [whatever] without a [common letter] in it!

I know it's petty to get bent out of shape over a stupid Facebook meme, but these varieties have been getting more and more prevalent, I just have to voice my annoyance.

Usually it's something find like a state name, capital city, famous person's name, without a particular letter in it. Usually a very common letter like "a" or "e."

It's one thing if the subset of words in this category that matched it were really small, making for a difficult puzzle, but often times it turns out to be 30-50% of all of them. Like, if you know your states, countries, or famous people, you'd be able to get it.

"Name a world capital without an 'e'" Umm, Washington DC, Tokyo, Paris, London... I mean, literally the first capital cities that come to mind to most people in the western world don't have e's. Ugh.

Interesting. I was seeing a flood of those maybe a year ago, but none lately. Must have moved to your friends.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Last one I saw was "Name a word that starts with F and ends with K"

There was a very long list. Not much of a challenge.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

"Select a pet's name without an "e" in it."

Seriously, how much more vague can you get? You could name your pet "Ms. Snuffy-Wuffy-Poopykins" if you'd like and it still doesn't have an "e" in it.

Comment

I kind of want to do the opposite. Something like:

Find an English word that contains the letter "Ƿ," "Ȝ," "Þ," "Ð," "Æ," or "Œ."
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post

There was a very long list. Not much of a challenge.
            I've actually did that to coworkers as a joke.

Me: What word starts with "F" and ends with "CK?"
            CW:
            Me: Firetruck
            CW:
            Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              Are you planning to fink on me for swearing? I was talking about flak batteries along the left flank of the approach route - you must be some kind of freak, or a fan of major Frank Burns.

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
              "Select a pet's name without an "e" in it."
              "Fluffy" is common for cats, and "fido" for dogs. For chocolate labs, "mocha" is fairly common.
              Last edited by wolfie; 02-07-2016, 10:51 PM. Reason: added a couple

Comment

Among those that have been at least in some sense mine, I had more trouble coming up with one that DID have an e. Finally remembered Redcat from when I was little. (Dad wasn't good at naming cats. Her sister was named Graycat.)
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I haven't seen these in a while, but got old fast. I once posted a joke one. "Name a U.S. state without a Q in it" since there doesn't seem to be a state with a Q in it.

"Name a famous movie without the letter A"
                  My response: The Room

Another Facebook quiz I see is a grid of letters much like a word search. "Post the first word you see."
                  My response: I

Comment

I've seen these "brain teasers" for a few years, but for some reason in the last week or so they had some kind of resurgence on my news feed. I've noticed that a lot of my friends (usually older family members) tend to be a little slow on the uptake on memes, and often post outdated and passe jokes and memes as if they are brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if soon I'll see someone post the blue/white dress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                      Name a famous movie without the letter "A"
                      M
                      "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if soon I'll see someone post the blue/white dress.
                        It's not the dress anymore. Now I'm constantly seeing a plate with rice on it. Some people see golden-yellow rice, some people see bright pink rice.

Comment

"Name a famous movie without the letter A"
                          Duel
                          Blues Brothers
                          Ghostbusters
                          Dr. No
                          Spectre

Comment

Originally posted by mr hero View Post
                            "name a famous movie without the letter a"
                            11-11-11
                            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I haven't seen these in a while
                              That's what I get for tempting fate. These are starting to pop up on my news feed. The dumbest one was asking for a dog's name without the letter A. Fucking dumb! The most cliched dog's name, Fido, doesn't have that letter.

Comment

Working...
                              X