Protesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protesting

Sure, protesting at times can be a good thing, but every time I've ever seen people protesting, it is the biggest joke ever.

What pushed me to the point of writing this tonight? On facebook, I saw a event called, "Don't Buy Gas May 15th!" It's a protest designed to cost gas companies millions of dollars. Ok, so gas companies make less money on May 15th. Whoopdeedoo. When everyone fills up on the 14th or the 16th instead, they'll make it all back. And apparently, it's considered a huge group of people on myspace who are participating. Wow, too bad most of the people on myspace aren't even old enough to drive.

And then there are war protesters. I see them at all sorts of places. Whether it's in front of a supermarket or some other random shopping place, I've seen them there before. Hm, only problem with this is, the people whose minds they need to change will never even know they protested. Good work! There are a couple people who protest the war in front of the local military base. Oops, I forgot to mention it's a COMMUNICATIONS base. Protesting at a military base that does nothing with the war does NOTHING!!! A group of college kids protested the war in Iraq on a part of their campus which is somewhat secluded. Ok, so not only is it people who have no effect on what goes on with the war, barely anyone is even seeing the protesting going on!

What happened to the days of real protests, where people protested in large masses, and actually made a difference?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

We had those here in Portland. Huge masses in the middle of downtown.

Bush & Co. ignored us.

Comment

Gas 'protest' is a hoax. Then again, it's myspace...fact-checking seems to be lacking among the general population there.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I wouldn't call it a hoax since it's really happening. But it is definately a complete waste of time.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think the problem with "protesting" is that it sounds like more fun than it actually turns out to be.
          I've been at a number of protests myself. The ones that I felt were positive contributions to public discourse and democracy were not fun. One was absolutely gruelling.
          Its all about sacrifice. Not buying gas for one day is not a sacrifice if you know you can fill up tomorrow. You have to make long term changes in the way you live.

Comment

I think that it's because people really don't put anything into protesting anymore, so they come off as whiney and annoying. The Million Man March, the Sit-in's, The Vietnam protests were great protests because the people actually cared. I think nowadays no one cares enough to do anything, and the people that try can't get enough support. It's become that no one wants to do anything that requires effort, such as marching. That and no leaders have sprung up to take control of things.

Comment

Working...
            X