semantics and science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semantics and science

This is just something that bugs me, re-sparked by a commercial for a new sweetener

basically the the ad said that instead of a sweetener made from chemistry, its made by nature

Now I understand that the ad means chemistry as something done in a lab but...

Nature does chemistry too, all the time, every day, and has been doing it before we even existed, and that bugged me since by that definition, the sweetener should either be an element or should not exist in the first place

the word organic has the same trouble, since many people say food is grown organically, but guess what, organic means a compound with carbon in it. Since most things have carbon in it chemically, most things are organic, or if you want to go by the other definition, anything that is or was alive at one point, it still falls flat with me since the 'organic' food is just as organic as the 'non organically grown' food since they are both alive at one point

just something that bugs me to no end, can't they come up with a better name for organic food, and couldn't that ad say 'man made' or 'from a lab' instead?
    I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Artificial and natural are in more people's dictionaries than organic and inorganic. And as you pointed out, most people don't really know what organic actually means. It's just easier to use the colloquial meanings instead.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

There's no chemical difference between most "man-made" and "naturally grown" foods. It's like saying that IVF babies aren't real people because they were conceived out of utero in a lab.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        There's no chemical difference between most "man-made" and "naturally grown" foods. It's like saying that IVF babies aren't real people because they were conceived out of utero in a lab.
        yeah, but just saying chemistry really bugged me to no end, since that happens in nature as well as in a lab, which is worse

then again most people think science is out to kill them for some stupid reason so maybe I shouldn't be surprised

Comment

Those misused words bug me, too! My dad has the best comeback for the "it's natural/made by nature!" one:

"Cyanide is natural."

Comment

so is manure.

Comment

You will take my synthetic aspartame sweetened diet Pepsi from my cold dead hands.
              With the sheer volume I drink over many years, if it had any deleterious effects, I would be dead many times over by now.

Comment

So is snake venom. And Nightshade, and mercury, and....

You get the idea.

Comment

That's like a lot of people's arguments for smoking weed, "it's all natural"...and basically so are heroine, cocaine, LSD and PCP. Of course, you can't just find a PCP plant and eat it to get high all by itself, ya gotta do stuff to it first....

Comment

Originally posted by LadyMage View Post
                    then again most people think science is out to kill them for some stupid reason so maybe I shouldn't be surprised
                    Not yet it's not, but give it time.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                      Not yet it's not, but give it time.
                      huh? you honestly think science will kill us all? please tell me you are kidding

Comment

Not exactly, the misuse of it will, the same way that a gun will not kill someone, the person wielding it will.

Comment

Originally posted by LewisLegion View Post
                          So is snake venom. And Nightshade, and mercury, and....

You get the idea.
                          Natural, yes.

Organic, negative.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                            Not exactly, the misuse of it will, the same way that a gun will not kill someone, the person wielding it will.
                            ah ok, but then that is anything when you think about it, even sushi

Comment

I don't fear rice and raw fish destroying all life on this planet though.

Comment

Working...
                              X