Dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt

I just swept my floor, and it was still dirty. So then I vacuumed it too. Still dirty. I don't get it. How does one get rid of ALL the dirt? When I mop its like going over sandpaper. No matter what I do! Dirt dirt dirt. It never goes away!

Reverse the order. Vacuum then mop. After you mop, it's not dirt. It's mud.

Durr, sorry, read that wrong. But yes, mopping comes last. I learned that one the hard way. >_<

I've sorta given up at my place, and I settle for keeping certain spots clear. In front of the sink, stove, and fridge. The dirt has claimed the rest.
    Last edited by BroomJockey; 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: oops
    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a paid ad, I never met a Swifter product I didn't like.

The little mop pads are great because you toss them when they get dirty. They pick up everything, and you don't spread dirty water around your floor.

Also, those little cordless electric brooms they sell for about 30 bucks are AWESOME.

You might need a new broom. I think corn brooms leave streaks of sand behind. My broom is nylon, and it's all frayed and old, but it does pick up. After sweeping, then the Swifter damp mop.

I live in place that is nothing but basically prehistoric beach sand. Seriously, much of the white sand you buy comes from the area I live in. So I know about sand and gritty floors.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        At the risk of sounding like a paid ad, I never met a Swifter product I didn't like.

The little mop pads are great because you toss them when they get dirty. They pick up everything, and you don't spread dirty water around your floor.

Also, those little cordless electric brooms they sell for about 30 bucks are AWESOME.

Those are awesome, that is what we use. We also used that at my last job.

Comment

So totally off topic here, but I don't feel its worth starting a new thread for: I've just recently started noticing, on here and other message boards that I post on, that random words are highlighted in green and are actually links to ads. What is up with that? Is it like a spyware thing or something?

Comment

I don't get that on here or CS...I'd guess some kind of spyware or something.

Regarding cleaning, our problem is cat hair! We have 2 cats and one of them has really long hair, and both of them shed quite a bit. I can never believe how much cat hair I get off of, say, the bathroom floor, especially because the cats hardly ever go in there.

Comment

Interesting.

I have seen the highlighted links you speak of, just never on this site or CS. I wonder if that is something on your own computer? Like some kind of adware. I dunno, but since you have it and we don't, I gotta think it's your machine.

As for pet hair problems, I had this in my house at one time:

Me with waist length hair
              Husband with hair which is, if you were to stretch it out, probably about the same legnth
              American Eskimo Dog
              Shorthaired cat

I went through several upright vacuum cleaners in a single year. The long hair would wrap around the works of the vacuum and cause it to freeze and the pet hair would smother the motor and clog the intakes. Unreal.

Shop Vac, fitted with a dust filter. A bit ungainly, but they do not clog and they don't quit. Just shake the filter off and keep going.

Actually, I eventually ended up tearing every thread of carpet in my house out and replaced it with hard floors. Which I wish I'd done from the start.

Pet hair gets in your air ducts and blows out all over the place. You could send your pets on vacation for a week and I guarantee your house would still fill with pet hair. The stuff is sneaky.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-17-2009, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                So totally off topic here, but I don't feel its worth starting a new thread for: I've just recently started noticing, on here and other message boards that I post on, that random words are highlighted in green and are actually links to ads. What is up with that? Is it like a spyware thing or something?
                Yes, it's on your computer. I am unable to remember the name of the company that came up with the idea, or if the perpetrators were summarily executed, but you do have some spyware on your computer. It reads the pages you download, and turns keywords into clickable links.

You'll need to get spyware removal software (lavasoft ad-aware is, I believe free, as is Spybot search and destroy). One or both of them should be able to clean it up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedersen View Post
                  Yes, it's on your computer. I am unable to remember the name of the company that came up with the idea, or if the perpetrators were summarily executed,
                  There's some sites that use that on purpose, too, as another form of ad revenue. But not CS or Fratching, since Raps runs them gratis.

On topic, yeah, I use swiffer stuff, though I'm pissed at the swiffer wet pads with febreeze in them, as they give me a damned headache, and the smell lingers for days. I wouldn't have got them at all, but the store didn't have the regular, and I figured "eh, I can live a day." Didn't figure on it being a week.
                  Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    Actually, I eventually ended up tearing every thread of carpet in my house out and replaced it with hard floors. Which I wish I'd done from the start.
                    Yes! We had hard floors in our house in Arizona, and they were wonderful. Easy to clean, easy to keep clean, easy on the allergies.

Now we're in an apartment with a ratty old carpet that's a pain to clean and hides dust, dirt, cat dander and other nasties in its fibers. I so long for a house with hard floors again.
                    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

God I hate hardwood floors. We had them put in the kids rooms, thank god that was it. I always found them to be very cold, and no matter how much you sweep sweep sweep there's always dirt and it feels like you're just walking around on gravel. And forget about stealth!

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                        God I hate hardwood floors.
                        Me too. I hate sweep sweep sweeping all the time. Of course, I don't have pets, although my own hair presents a cleaning challenge, since I shed a lot. But, for me, carpet's just so easy to vacuum, and it's much warmer during the winter. I like going around barefoot, and I never could in my old apartment with hardwood floors.

As for my bathroom and kitchen, I go with the broom and mop method. Swiffers are convenient, but I always found they leave a sticky residue. Besides, I like the smell of Pinesol.

Comment

Maybe you have the same problem Pig Pen from Peanuts does.

Comment

Working...
                          X