Posting free stuff or dirt cheap stuff on craigs list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting free stuff or dirt cheap stuff on craigs list

Kinda curious if anyone else has ran into this. I've been recently getting rid of things in my house that we no longer need. Some of the stuff honestly I just want to get rid of. So I throw it up on craig's list for free or like $5 just to get rid of it. And just as an example I threw up a wood axe for free. Said it needed to be sharpened, had a little bit of rust, but other than that it was usable. And for that I got like 15 responses. 3 can I ship it, 2 spam letters, 8 people told me to reply, or call them, or said they'd pick it up, but didn't. 6 wanted pictures, or what model was it, etc. and 1 person actually picked it up.

And to me it's a free wood axe that needs sharpening. How much more info do you need about it? And why respond to an ad you have no intentions on actually getting it?

Or worse yet. I threw up some computer parts for cheap money because I have too many of the parts. Then usually right before it goes to get deleted like 3 people will respond do you still have it, and when you say yes they respond back seeing no one wanted them can I have them for free?

That's why I don't bother posting things on Craigslist. Too many stupid and/or cheap bastards. Instead, when I get rid of things...they all go to the church for their annual junk sale. BTW, has anyone seen the ad for the cinder blocks? Seems that the guy trying to shift them...got tired of the stupid questions, and just went off. Hilarious as hell to read

Comment

My local freecycle group had an advert on there for some out-of-date lube someone had rescued from going to the dump.

Wonder how many questions they get?

7. OFFERED: Lube, lots of ****
      Posted by: catatlucidskies
      Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 am

Not something you see every day on freecycle;
      I've rescued some old stock from an online shop
      to save from the tip.
      I have a big bag of bottles of lubes, different kinds but mostly
      organic/natural. some fruit flavours too.
      All past their best-by dates so can't be sold
      but depending on their use perhaps that doesn't matter.
      Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

i always see free horse manure on Craig's list
        The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
        my brother's

Comment

Originally posted by joe hx View Post
          i always see free horse manure on Craig's list
          No bull manure?

Comment

Where I grew up, was pretty rural. We got rid of usable stuff by placing it up at the top of the driveway, next to the road.

Seriously. It would be gone inside of 6 to 12 hours. If it was an appliance, a nice touch would be to put a sign on it that said "This works".

Now, I just post to the local SCA boards with the subject line "Kinkoid's Free Garage Sale Continues...you haul, you own."

With the exception of a rattan chair, I've never failed to unload anything within a matter of days. I have gotten rid of:

Two truckloads of cut pine logs and debris
            A desk
            A washer and a dryer
            ANOTHER lady's washer (we all did a swap out)
            Two chest of drawers
            A darkroom outfit, including a Bessler enlarger
            A dishwasher

And while someone was getting one of my chest of drawers, I also got them to take an old TV off my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Where I grew up, was pretty rural. We got rid of usable stuff by placing it up at the top of the driveway, next to the road.
              Sounds like the country version of our city's unofficial 'garbage pick' day.

Most of us put our unused stuff out on the curb on the night before trash pick up. I have never, EVER put anything out that wasn't gone by daybreak.

With the exception of actual trash, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                A darkroom outfit, including a Bessler enlarger
                BUH! And you just gave it away?!

How I wish I had been in South Carolina at that point...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slugger View Post
                  I threw up some computer parts for cheap money because I have too many of the parts. Then usually right before it goes to get deleted like 3 people will respond do you still have it, and when you say yes they respond back seeing no one wanted them can I have them for free?
                  I've been getting that recently. I've been trying to get rid of some "old" computer stuff that's for all intents and purposes brand new, I just was unable to use it and/or couldn't return it for whatever reason (lost receipt, damaged/missing box, expired return period, etc). I'd get "offers" of $2 for a PCIe card that sells for $200 and I had at $80-100. Or $10 for a Tumi computer backpack (um, no. I know what Tumi is worth).

Generally, the price posted in the ad is what sellers are willing to accept. Or at least that's how I see it...
                  "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                    BUH! And you just gave it away?!

How I wish I had been in South Carolina at that point...
                    Yep. Wasn't worth it to me to go to the trouble of selling a pretty much obsolete piece of equipment. Let's face it, I'm never gonna set up a darkroom again. I'm just not.

Gave it to a guy who had been thinking of setting one up. Knew what he was doing. Had a rotten string of events in his life, including his wife passing. Was wondering if he could afford to set up a lab, and lo and behold, there goes the Kink's Free Garage Sale post.

Serendipity.

I felt pretty good about giving the guy what had once been my pride and joy.

Comment

Working...
                    X