No announcement yet.

Video Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh, I have tons. Most have been mentioned before, but I'll put in the ones I hate most of all.

1) Grinding / Mandatory sidequests. My character / party should be able to take on each boss they reach when they reach them, if I'm following the main quest. I shouldn't have to grind for two or three hours to have even a slim chance of defeating them, and I shouldn't have to perform sixteen different sidequests to get the one weapon that will actually work against them.

2) By a similar token, bosses I cannot defeat unless I perform a certain specific set of actions, in proper order - and nowhere in the game to date have I gotten any information about that.

3) Action sequences. Specifically, ridiculous action sequences. Difficult is fine. An example from one game I played: You have to get a mcguffin from a room. You have a time limit. The room itself is a shifting maze, and to get the mcguffin, you have to shift the maze into different configurations. The maze walls are fire, and will hurt you. The maze floor is slippery, so you're very likely to run into walls. As if all of that wasn't bad enough, they add in a mini-boss - while you're running around and trying to do everything.

Talk about adding insult to injury.

4) On a similar note, 'puzzles' that you have to solve to open fricking doors. Things like having to locate six different levers and pull them in a specific sequence to open the door that will let you travel on. Bonus 'points' if you have to get them in the right sequence the first time, with absolutely no reference.

Comment

1) Grinding / Mandatory sidequests. My character / party should be able to take on each boss they reach when they reach them, if I'm following the main quest. I shouldn't have to grind for two or three hours to have even a slim chance of defeating them, and I shouldn't have to perform sixteen different sidequests to get the one weapon that will actually work against them.
      That's one of my favorite things about KOTOR. You rarely have to spend any time out in the woods killing boars, unless you really really WANT to. But other than that, you level up in the normal course of playing through the story. The leveling and xp and stats are almost secondary to the plot, which is something you don't see very often.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplyAnother View Post
        <snip>
        I'd play Diablo and Diablo II if I had my freakin disks. I'm this close to buying that damned Battle Chest thingy...just so I can play it on this computer. Though that game was and still is nightmare fuel.

<snip>
        Totally worth it to get the battle chest. If you register your purchase, Blizzard has a special download that lets you play without the disks. It's INCREDIBLE! Cuts load time and makes it run smoooooooothly! The disk version wouldn't work on my new version of the Mac OS software, so my SO did some hunting and learned about the download from Blizzard. It would have been worth it even if I didn't need it to make the game work on my new OS!
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

I see there's a demo for Batman Arkham Asylum on steam, figure I'll try to see if my computer can run it. So after steam installs the 2 gigs of stuff I start the game. It brings up a menu that's like play, settings, about and quit so I figure try it and then if it's too slow come back and turn off some video settings. I load it, it is way too slow so I exit. I reload the game expecting the same menu, does it open? No it loads the game directly not giving me the option of changing any video settings at all. So after I've run the game once I am not allowed to change the settings at all? so I am uninstalling and reinstalling from steam (which means redownloading all 2 gigs) and seeing if I get the menu back then.

It's fucking bullshit like this that makes me almost exclusively refuse to buy computer games, This is why I download because they let these fucktards who can't put 2 and 2 together make these things WORK. At least on a console 90% of the time you pop the disc in the drive and you're good.

However with computer game not only may it not work on your system at all despite what the requirements say but then you CAN'T FUCKING RETURN SOFTWARE YOU PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THAT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE SOME FUCKING ASSHOLE DIDN'T DO HIS JOB PROPERLY AND THEREFORE YOU NOW HAVE A 60 DOLLAR COASTER, I DOWNLOAD COMPUTER GAMES ILLEGALLY AND THIS IS WHY

Comment

I now have my most hated video game issue.
            My WOW account got hacked for the second time this year. Only this time, in less than two days, they stripped my level 70 main down to his underwear, and violated the term use agreement. So right after I got it back, Blizzard canceled my account. Now I have to wait for the many days it takes to get service help.
            ARRRGGH!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              The bit that bugs me is where you defeat the end boss, and he has a far more powerful weapon in a chest for you to loot. Why's the boss not using it?

Fedex quests (take this here) are fairly boring, but they get you around the place. The ones I loathe are the 'protect' missions, as the person to protect is usually willing to walk into the gaping maws of chewingness.

Rapscallion
              Oh my god they are sucky customers
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

New hate for video games:

I'm fairly new to world of warcraft, been playing about three weeks now, and my guy is doing really well. When other people see me fighting they are impressed and they want me in their party.

Then they start bitching because I don't have my character set up exactly the same way they think it should be. Hey, if you want it so bad, make your own. You see that I kick ass, if you want me help, accept me as I am and let me do my thing. I'm playing the game for fun, not so I can make the absolute best dps or tank and then get gold and sell it in real life.

Comment

Geeze, what level is your character Farook? The focus on particular builds really shouldn't start until the 70's, and even then it's not so intense until you start raiding.

Comment

Right now just level 24. He's doing well though, and able to solo quite efficiently. Which is necessary as I don't have the time to devote to the game to always be meeting up and coordinating with large groups.

Comment

New rant about KOTOR, specifically KOTOR II. What's the deal with the mines? I mean, after the shuttle crashes on Telos, you have to fight the two assholes (put there by Czerka). But, as you're trying to fight them, as soon as you step anywhere near the mines...the game tries you to defuse the things...as you're getting your ass whipped by the assholes.

I've only beaten them both once, and then my computer crashed immediately after. Right as I was about to save the game After getting my ass handed to me multiple times last night, I've given up for the time being. As much as I hate to cheat in that sort of game...I'm tempted to at that point, and then turn the codes off. Again, I'd rather not have to do that, but I'd rather get to see what happens next!

Comment

You just need to change your target. KOTOR did the same thing. It treats mines as enemies, so if you have both, you have to cycle through to target the mobile, blaster-using enemies.

It's the AI characters running through the mines that pisses me off. Every two or three combat rounds, I have to pause the game and re-set their combat protocol to keep them back.

Comment

I always hated that your friends wouldn't listen to you in Kotor. Get into combat, pause the game, get Kreia set up to do 4 lightnings, and then unpause, and she runs in and starts melee fighting.

Comment

Working...
                          X