I am the financial bad guy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am the financial bad guy...

Right now my husband is "pouting" because I told him he couldn't go buy some games at Best Buy (they are having a sale) because we need to pay a doctor's bill in order for him to go see said doctor to get a prescription refilled.

We have a little bit extra money than we normally do at the moment, due to an unexpected check from my insurance company. We've already spent some of this on him, buying some clothes he needed, among a few other frivolous things. He's been hinting at this sale all weekend, and I kept saying "We'll see how much we have after you pay the doctor." So, this morning, I tell him what we have left in my account, and he goes "I guess that means I can't go to Best Buy"...I told him yeah, that's probably what it means. He proceeds to go in the bedroom and sulk like a damn teenager.

This always happens. The whole reason we haven't paid this doctor's bill before now is because we end up spending our checks on other things (either rent, or other bills, or whatever). He needs to go to the doctor, and now we can pay this bill. He was fine with it, until that plan interfered with his plan to get some new fucking xBox games. When I want to do something responsible with the money, he seems to ignore it and cling to the hope that he can spend the money for himself.

I can't even discuss this with him without him accusing me of "putting words" in his mouth. It's probably the whole reason we don't argue more than we do, because I can never win, so I don't even bother. I am always the bad guy, even if he' being totally unreasonable and childish.

I guess it's bothering me more because soon we are going to be on one income. I am having a baby in January, and won't have any paid leave. I feel like he is not grasping the seriousness of this situation. Even though we are moving in with my parents, it's going to be hard. We can't be spending money on video games and useless crap that won't even matter, but he doesn't get it.

GARGH...I am just so frustrated right now, and didn't know where else to vent. I didn't mean for this to be so long. And it probably makes my husband sound like a total brat. Oh well.
    - Kim

Your husband is going to have a lot of growing up to do before your son or daughter (do you know which yet? ) arrives in the new year. I hope for everyone's sake that he does it.

Comment

Good grief.

I live at home. But I'm in college, up to my eyebrows in debt, and I have no income. I haven't spent a penny on gaming in well over a year. What's Mr. Manchild's excuse? Not to mention a father-to-be? Pathetic.
      Customer: I need an Apache.
      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

I'm terrible at handling money, but I do know that paying the doctor bill comes before buying toys!
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Hopefully, having a little life he created staring him in the face and grasping his fingers with his/her little hands (awwwwww!) will hammer the point home for him, and he'll snap to and grow up. By all accounts, that's what happened with my father.

Comment

I understand completely, Fryk.

Noir, when I was living with my ex, I became the one in charge of finances. R. would come home and hand me the paycheck and I'd distribute the funds. However, he always kinda bossed me around when he wanted something and I always gave in until our daughter was born. One positive thing about R., he learned to look at me before spending any more money on frivolous things.
            Last edited by SorryIsGoodEnough; 10-27-2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Well, he kind of apologized. Although I was half asleep when he did it. I'm going to have to sit down with him and have a talk though. He's not always a complete idiot about money. It's just sometime he gets his heart set on something (whether it's realistic to expect or not) and when things don't turn out, he throws a pity party for himself like you wouldn't believe. It's frustrating.
              - Kim

Comment

Working...
              X