No announcement yet.

The bullying attitude of the internet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bullying attitude of the internet.

I see this mostly on youtube, but the same shit carries into other forums (mostly ranting blogs like justrage). It goes like this:

Someone makes a youtube account and starts making videos. Troll comes along, and makes videos mocking him. Since troll has a larger following, all of trolls subscribers join in on the bashing. They 1 star all his videos, leave nasty comments about his weight, voice, sexuality, ect, thumb up any comments on his videos that bash him, while thumbing down any positive comments.

So as a result of this, this newbies experience with youtube is destroyed. Something that could have been fun is turned into a hellacious experience just because of some trolls who felt like being jerks. When he actually tries to defend himself, he gets told that "N E THING GOZ ON TEH INTERWEBS!!11". "The internet isn't for pussies, if you can't handle it, you shouldn't be here".

So let me get this straight. They create an environment where he gets bashed the minute he opens his mouth (or laptop), then say that's just the way it is. Uh, no, it doesn't have to be that way. THEY are the ones who were making it that way! So many trolls have used the excuse that because the internet is full of assholes, that they reserve the right to be assholes. They have no contol over it, it's just the way it is. What a crock! They choose to be assholes, and they know it.

I see this same stuff happen on justrage (as I mentioned). Someone will post a rant, then get labled as a complainer. HELLO, that's what the sight is there for, to rant! What point is there for a ranting sight if people are going to accuse you of complaining?

Why can't people just be nice, instead of being macho douchebags who hide behind their screen? The internet can bring out the worst in people.

*nods* I been floating around here (the internet) since the early days and its a shame some of the directions people have been going on here.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

See basically they are doing the whole don't hate the player hate the game thing, but the player chose the game and there would be no game without players.

Comment

*pokes his head up then ducks quickly* Or hate the sin not the sinner
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I say it all the time, especially when people use the argument "it's only the internet!" The anonymity of the internt is NO EXCUSE to act like an ass. How is communicating over the internet any much different from other forms of communication that aren't face-to-face, such as the written word in various forms, or talking on the phone or texing? If you wouldn't do it to people you know, you should do it to people you don't know.

Critizism is one thing, but some people take it WAY beyond that.

Comment

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

That's part of it. A big part of it, I think.
            Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post

Them doing that is rather ironic considering that they have unleashed their dumbassed fans on other comics before.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post

2 + 3 = cats?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                  Them doing that is rather ironic considering that they have unleashed their dumbassed fans on other comics before.
                  Really? I don't believe they've ever done so, except in joking with Scott Kurtz of PvP. I know they've accidentally destroyed servers just through directing excessive traffic there while linking something interesting. Can you tell me when it happened/who it happened to? If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know.
                  Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Actually they've done the exact opposite, like when they told people to leave Jack Thompson alone.

Comment

It was a web comic writer that I actually liked that got into a verbal fight with them. They sicked their fans on him.
                      I can't for the life of me remember his name or comic.

I wasn't a fan of Penny Arcade to begin with. That incident didn't change my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
                        I say it all the time, especially when people use the argument "it's only the internet!" The anonymity of the internt is NO EXCUSE to act like an ass. How is communicating over the internet any much different from other forms of communication that aren't face-to-face, such as the written word in various forms, or talking on the phone or texing? If you wouldn't do it to people you know, you should do it to people you don't know.

Critizism is one thing, but some people take it WAY beyond that.
                        I know, some act like the internet is just a game, while others will say "The internet is serious f*cking business!". Both parties use it an excuse to piss on each other. My theory is this, on the internet, you can get away with a lot more than you can in physical reality. There are so many things you can do from your keyboard that would be much harder to do physically. Mainly, these trolls don't have to worry about someone socking them in the mouth for being a smartass when they are behind a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                          They sicked their fans on him.
                          I can't for the life of me remember his name or comic.
                          To quote the internet, "Pics or it didn't happen." If you can't even remember the name of the comic, I choose to take this as a apocryphal tale with no basis in reality. You've not even provided enough for me to make a serious attempt at researching it myself. Hell, a general time frame would have been useful. I'd think their creation of Child's Play would more than make up for one incident you can't even remember, though. Otherwise, that's some pretty serious grudge-holding for no reason. Most illogical.

Comment

Bad behavior is bad behavior; the fact that you're anonymous and that "all" you're doing is typing and clicking a mouse makes no difference. At least with Youtube you can set it to let you moderate comments if it becomes a problem, or turn them off entirely.

On the bright side, the sort of discussions this board is made for are a lot easier online.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                              Mainly, these trolls don't have to worry about someone socking them in the mouth for being a smartass when they are behind a keyboard.
                              Sounds familiar.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X