Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not Thanksgiving yet!!!

ARG.

Look, folks, I like Christmas. A lot of people like Christmas. I see the store displays and wander through them. I listen to Christmas music on the radio. I don't mind getting Christmas cards early.

I sympathize with retail workers, who get Christmas shoved up their butt from Halloween to New Year's. I used to be that person, until I realized my own bitterness was ruining an otherwise happy holiday. When someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas", why answer with a snappy, snide, "It's too early!! It's not even Thanksgiving!!!" Or, and this makes me crazy, in the CS card exchange, saying things like, "Well, I got soandso's card, but I'm not sending mine out until after Thanksgiving." Well, goody for you, maybe that person had the time and cash to send them out early and wanted to get it off their plates. Passive aggressive much?

The way I see it, there are a lot of things to get butt-hurt about. Someone getting into the holiday spirit before Dec. 1 shouldn't be one of them.

Nothing to add except Amen, sister!

Although, will you hate me if I say that I have done a little bit (a very tiny bit, I promise you!) of Christmas shopping already?

Comment

Originally posted by flybye023 View Post
      Although, will you hate me if I say that I have done a little bit (a very tiny bit, I promise you!) of Christmas shopping already?
      Ummm, of course not, that was the point! I mean, I was picking up a hostess gift today, and I at first wanted to get a nice candle, but I panicked. Can't get a "holiday" scent, because what if she yells at me for buying something Christmas-y before Thanksgiving? (I went with "Pumpkin Spice", btw).

It's after Halloween. The holiday season has, for all intents and purposes, begun. The only reason I haven't started on cards is because I haven't had time, ditto on Christmas shopping. Heck, do your Christmas shopping in April, who am I to judge?

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        "Well, I got soandso's card, but I'm not sending mine out until after Thanksgiving."
        Some people who've done that seem to just being giving a timeline. But then others seem to be copping a major attitude about it and it just chaps my biscuits. Oh noes! Someone sent their cards out early! Teh ebilness! Ugh. Way to be snarky on something that's supposed to be about fun and togetherness, people. So, I'm right there with ya on this.
        Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Just tell them that thanksgiving is in October and they need to get it right.

Comment

The holidays kinda stress me out to be honest, since everyone's hustling around trying to get the latest and greatest gift or hosting the best party. I get called a Grinch a lot because I'm not really that into the holidays. It's very frustrating because it's not like I make fun of people who live for shopping, decorating, etc., as early as possible. Whatever floats your boat.

I wish there could just be a happy medium! No one should feel embarrassed to reveal how they feel about the season.

Comment

I get called a Grinch when I bask in the glory of the few Decembers we get where there isn't much snow.

I'm not a big Holidays type of person, and the weather is mostly the reason there.

I'd be the happiest girl in the world if I could decorate a cactus or a palm tree.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                I'd be the happiest girl in the world if I could decorate a cactus or a palm tree.
                Ooh, decorating a palm tree. That sounds nice.

I don't care that people want to start getting ahead in shopping and stuff. And I love Christmas music. I just hate that it's played so early that the songs get more overplayed than music on a pop station like Z100. I get sick of hearing the same songs played over and over and over. New, extremely popular music doesn't even get as overplayed as Christmas music does. So it ruins it for me.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

You have a Z100 as well?

There's one radio station here that starts playing Christmas music on Black Friday until the day after New Years.....ugh.

I can't stand Christmas music. I absolutely hate it.

But then again, I hate snow, I hate cold, I hate Christmas music, I hate that stupid movie about the red rider BB gun that's played ALL Christmas Day on TV, and the snow and the cold and did I mention snow?

Yeah, sure is fun trying to travel when all it does is snow and snow and it's too cold to do anything.

People who go all nuts about the holidays really chap my butt....

Maybe I'm particularly bitter this year because we had to cancel our plans for our Christmas getaway.

Comment

Is Z100 everywhere? Got one here too.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

I get called a Grinch when I bask in the glory of the few Decembers we get where there isn't much snow.
                      You know, a few years ago, I would have said that. I loved snow. Loved it. I'd have MARRIED it. Now? Fuck snow. Gimme 18-21C temps year round.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

The one here is a top 40/pop station, and with the exception of Friday and Saturday nights, it's all local DJs live from the station.

I should shut up and quit the whining. Broom, you probably get snow and cold way worse than what I get, and I still whine over a piddly inch here and there in October. But I'm glad you agree, even though I'm not sure what those Celcius temps are, I'd give anything to even just have like, Seattle weather in the winter!

Comment

I should shut up and quit the whining. Broom, you probably get snow and cold way worse than what I get, and I still whine over a piddly inch here and there in October. But I'm glad you agree, even though I'm not sure what those Celcius temps are,
                          18C is about 64F, apparently. And I've discovered it's all about what you're used to, weather-wise. We may get colder, on more days, but if you're only used to what you get, subjectively, it's just as bad. The only people I begrudge bitching about the weather are people like Jester. "Oh boo hoo, it's only 70F out, it's so miserable!"

Comment

One of these days I will make good on my threat and trebuche the world's nastiest snowball right down his way.

On a more happy note....I'm kind of looking forward to meeting some new people on Thanksgiving, so I'll try to perk up and quite being Debbie Downer.

Comment

Here there is a radio station called Z100 that seems to cater mostly to the Junior High set.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X