I like it medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like it medieval

I know this is stupid and petty but I have to say it. I hate when a world is supposed to be medieval and yet it has modern technology IE motorcycles powered by an internal combustion engine.

Please stop polluting my time/space with your anachronisms. Or for the very least develop a dang good reason for why and how we developed technology that early.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

One good reason: a steampunk world without motorcycles is a world not worth living in. :P

It's fantasy! It's make-believe! If you want it to be 100% historically accurate, don't play with those who wish to add inaccurate elements.

Comment

I'm with you Jack. I generally don't read fantasy books that mix it up...drives me batty. I read medieval fantasy for the medieval aspect. I want swords and armor, horses and dragons, magic and hardship...not modern machinery!
      "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
      "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
        One good reason: a steampunk world without motorcycles is a world not worth living in. :P

It's fantasy! It's make-believe! If you want it to be 100% historically accurate, don't play with those who wish to add inaccurate elements.
        1) Steam would work potentially if the characters in the game had the technology. The motorcycles in question are gasoline based with no gas stations, oil refineries etc. They spontaneously exist with no logical reason or method to.

2) I don't want 100% historical accuracy. Hell have motorcycles but put them in the time line. In year X technology was developed that lead to the creation of motorcycles. Not boom now we have motorcycles because they are cool.

My issue is one of causality. Drop a nuclear power plant in the 1800s it doesn't work because you have no established continuity for where it came from unless the story includes time travel, aliens, or more technologically advanced humans.

There hasn't even been an attempt to explain their presence just boom now we have internal combustion engines that run off of fossil fuels.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
          There hasn't even been an attempt to explain their presence just boom now we have internal combustion engines that run off of fossil fuels.

Wizards?
          intelligent hamsters?
          smart frogs?

...I got nothin'
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I don't care whether there's a logical explanation, I just want modern bathrooms!
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Is this about gaming, or TV/movies?

I'd say it's unlikely to have one part of a culture/society that operates with a certain level of technology, and the rest of it with another. If there is a (eg) steampunk motorcycle, then there would also be similar advancements in all other aspects of life - not just in transportation.

Nuclear power plant? How do they fuel it?? How do they operate it? And what does it power??

And yes - if you want the medieval stuff, you need to include the mud, the disease, and the lack of variety of foodstuffs....
              ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                Is this about gaming, or TV/movies?
                The thing that sparked this was a game. The gasoline powered motorcycles are the only sign of technology. Everything else is fairly medieval.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

Working...
                X