O is not zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O is not zero

I know in print this might not work well but I don't like when people are asked for a number and they say the letter O in place of the number 0.

Now most times this is just a minor annoyance but some ID #s and such have a combination of letters and numbers so using them interchangably in your vocabulary does not work.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I'm guilty of that.
    I don't know why.

I do try to catch myself.
    It's just a bad habit I guess.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

My issue mostly is I get in trouble if I put incorrect information in someone's file. One piece of ID I commonly take is driver's license. Some states use letters and numbers. If someone says O I type O. If their information gets run it will come back wrong or as someone else's ID and look like a fraud case.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I'm guilty of it, and I actually do use both zero and O, sometimes in the same sentence (such as reciting a phone number with 2 0's in it). I do make an effort to try to say zero when I mean the number, but it's FAR more common around here to say O, so it's a hard habit to break.

If you're reciting something that has both letters and numbers, yes, it is important to differentiate. But of you're say, reciting a house or phone or credit card number where there is ONLY numbers and they know that O really means zero, I don't really see the harm.

Comment

Hey, give me a break, I can't help it. My eyes don't see numbers so well, only letters. I run into a string of numbers, my brain is so glad to see something it thinks it can recognize it reads it as an O.

I see fives as S, too. And sometimes threes as E. You'd love me if the zero-O thing annoys you.

Comment

If it's a situation where numbers and letters are mixed, I'll be careful. But when it's obviously a number, well, "oh" it usually is and there's no good reason for it not to be. Unless there's more than one 0 in a row, because "oh oh" isn't very distinct. For example, a credit card I no longer have, I'd read the number as "six oh one one zero zero four nine..."
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I should have been clear it's more in situations where it can be letters and numbers mixed.

Also some people live in states where a DL is just numbers but the thing is other states use both letters and numbers so I don't know whether I just put in the correct information or if John Smith is going to be notified that your fraudulently using his information.

EDIT: And yes I realize it is petty but sometimes I am also transcribing what you say which allows me to type faster and get your stuff taken care of if you say O I will type O and take longer. It's petty stupid and the only reason I commented was because someone said their license was from a state that uses only numbers so to verify I said, "Okay you mean 0 right?" and they gave me crud.
              Last edited by jackfaire; 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                Hey, give me a break, I can't help it. My eyes don't see numbers so well, only letters.
                You would have been really good at that silly calculator game school children play. 80085 = BOOBS. *Tee hee hee*

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                  You would have been really good at that silly calculator game school children play. 80085 = BOOBS. *Tee hee hee*
                  Children? I played that last week!

Comment

I can actually type letters with my calculator. What a nerd.

Depends on what it is. Phone numbers, I sometimes use O's instead of 0's. But I've been doing it less and less.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      I was genius at that game.

Not on purpose, of course.

Comment

rofl

A person was using our automated system and kept saying the letter o rather than the number 0.

It doesn't like it any better than I do.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Working...
                        X