Two-Way Street, or 24/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-Way Street, or 24/7

This is a tale of familial woe that just gets my goat.

My family is getting increasingly frustrated with one of my sisters. She's a sweet woman and I genuinely like her but the last year or so she's just been...well, let me explain.

She stopped talking to us. Phone calls to her go unanswered or answered only very rarely. She moved and it was months before we found out where she moved to. Invitations to the family reunion went turned down. Invitiations to holiday dinners...turned down. I invited her a month in advance to come to the Wiener Dog races with us last year and she seemed enthusiastic, but when the day came and she didn't show up, I called her. Seems her mother-in-law had decided to take her shopping and oops, sorry, she couldn't make it.

All of us were bewildered because it wasn't like her. Then we found out the reasons. Which make no logical sense.

She's started bombarding us with 'two-way street'. When she does talk to us she complains that 'no one ever calls her, no one ever comes down to see her or the kids, and if we want a relationship with her, it's a two-way street. She's not going to make all the effort on her own'.

That flabbergasted me because every time we've talked on the phone or done anything in the last three years it's been because I called her, or I invited her. On one of the rare occassions my mom got hold of her and said she'd like to come down and see her grandson's baseball games, my sister told her she'd give her a schedule and times so she could...then never did. And refused to answer calls or return messages looking for such information.

According to my Dad he's talked to her and she's of the opinion that if we're not spending every waking moment with her outside of work that we just don't care about her or the kids. She seriously told him that if he cared about her, he'd be at her house every day after work and see them every single weekend (like her mother-in-law does). My Dad lives fifty miles away from her! Yet she seriously expects this.

Her mother-in-law has only one kid, my sister's husband, and every time they've moved she's moved too, to the same neighborhood. She's there every day.

So it comes down to we have to make all the efforts, we have to be there at her every beck and call and devote all our attentions to her, or else we just don't care. And despite all her ranting about relationships being a two-way street she never makes an effort, never calls, returns messages only rarely, never tells us about kids birthday parties or plans for holidays and turns down any plans offered her. Worse, she's getting another of our sisters (the black sheep of the family) to echo her behavior.

My mother is making every effort but is stonewalled every step of the way. It's tearing her up because she wants to see her grandkids and she does care and want to help but she gets denied at every turn and then told how horrible she is and how she's not making an effort or giving enough attention.

Sorry for the long ramble...anyway, has anyone else run into this kind of behavior from friends/family?

only thing I can suggest is make a list for a month or two as to how and when you attempt to contact or get together with excuses or lack of follow through and also the number of times in the same period your sister attempts to contact-and send it in a nice card......

something like:
    sept 4th called @ 7pm left message, never returned.
    sept 19th sent invite to family thanksgiving-no response
    sept 27 followup call on invite, was accepted-never showed, no reason given.

maybe if it's right in front of her in black and white she'll see what she's doing-but then again maybe not...

She's being very selfish, and I suspect it's because she's somewhat jealous of how much attention her spouse gets from his mother(moving into the same neighbourhood every time he moves....-sounds like stalker or a helicopter parent to me)-due to him being an only child.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

My sister did this to my mom she basically became absorbed into her husband's family and only sought out ours when she needed unpaid labor or to borrow money.

She now lives in the apartment below me and I still never get to see my nephews.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

We're dealing with a similar situation with my paternal grandmother. It's been going on as long as I can remember...but is getting worse. Keep in mind that my brothers and I are the *only* grandchildren she has. Yet, she basically ignores us, unless she needs something.

Earlier in the week, I found out that she's not coming over for Christmas dinner. Instead, she wants us to drive the 4.5 hours down to my aunt's (Dad's younger sister's) place in DC. Not to stay the night, but just for dinner. You read that right...she thinks we're going to make a 9-hour round trip. Sorry, but not happening.

She did this last year too--instead of coming to my mother's for dinner, she and my aunt...decided to go to fucking Friendly's at the last minute! Then they both whined about how nobody came over! Not the first time she's whined either--it happens every time she's up here. She simply can't grasp the fact that some of us don't make a fuss over her....and that my brothers simply *can't stand* her.

Comment

I'm not proud of this, but I used to be like your sister. See my first wife got me convinced that my family wasn't making the effort to keep in contact, so I shouldn't, either (For the record, this sort of brainwashing takes years and a low self-esteem). In my case, it took us splitting up for me to come to my senses, but I don't think everyone is as thick-headed as I was. Sooner or later, she WILL miss her family, and the visits and phone calls will return. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

I hope so, because we used to be fairly close. We worked together and even after she moved down south, I'd talk to her on the phone at least once a week and we'd get together for dinner on occassion. Last year at Christmas I sent her kids Christmas presents since, of course, she never showed up for Christmas. I didn't even send my OTHER nieces and nephews presents.

My Mom just bought a house that's about ten miles now from where my sister lives, hoping that will give her the opportunity to rekindle the relationship and get to see her grandkids. Hearing from yet another sister...who is the only one who sees this sister on a regular basis (part time job, lives about forty miles closer so its not a big deal for her to drive over once a week or something)...this sister is starting to get very sick of her mother-in-law, so maybe that's a good sign. She says she can't do ANYTHING without MIL tagging along. It's been that way since before they got married (she and her husband have been together FOREVER, they knew each other in diapers) but I guess she's finally getting sick of it.

I don't know, it's just heartbreaking and sad. I love my sister and my niece and nephew. I'd love to see more of them but I am, atm, a hundred miles away from her. And every time I call she never answers or returns the call.

I don't know what else to do.

Comment

I'm kinda like your sister. My father lives about 10-15 miles away from me and I never see him. I saw him on thanksgiving, and all went well, but before that it was a month ago that I saw him. Sometimes its 3 or 4 months before I see him.

One reason is we have nothing in common. He likes football. I don't. I like world of warcraft. He doesn't. He's really really cool. I'm not. He's an extremely talented musician. I am not. We just having nothing in common. When I do visit, we both sit there watching TV. If there's an episode of House on, we'll both watch that, but otherwise it's usually a baseball game.

Another reason is that he's extremely critical. Not all the time, but enough that it's hard to relate to each other. Like if he starts bitching about how in-laws and whatnot, I might say "Yeah, my in-laws are a pain in the ass too." To which he'll say "WHOA WHOA WHOA HOLD ON. If you're not ready to accept these people as your family then you should never have gotten married in the first place! So quit your complaining!"

Or when I got seperated from my first wife - he never called to check on me and see how I was doing. Instead he called and said "What the hell is the matter with you? You have a family to take care of, you can't just be walking out on them! I raised you better than that!" Even though she's the one who kicked me out.

Plus its just depression. I get depressed and don't want to leave my house, or speak to anyone who makes me feel more depressed, like my father does.

Comment

Working...
              X