Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother and his family and the way they waste things

Players:

B: The younger of my two brothers. He's cool and he and I get along well.
    G: The older of my two brothers. He is not close to the rest of the family like B and I are, and this post is mostly ranting about him.
    P: G's wife.
    L: G and P's daughter.
    Z: G and P's son.
    Mom and Dad: B, G's, and my parents.

Okay. G and his family, P, L, and Z, tend to waste stuff that we get for them. Either they don't use it, or (especially when the kids were younger) it would get broken soon after they got it, and then trashed. Or, the parents would take stuff away from the kids and not let them use it. Examples:

My parents got G's family a Sirius radio several years ago, along with a (either 6 month or 1 year, I don't remember) subscription to a variety channels that they thought the family would be interested in. It never got used. A few months after my parents gave the radio to G, my parents asked G how they liked it. G's response was, "Oh, we never use it. It's sitting in the closet."

Also several years ago, I got Z a video game for a new gaming system that he and his family had just gotten. It was a game that Z and I had played together when he had visited our house before, so I knew he liked it and wanted it. The following year, I asked him how he liked the game. He said he'd never gotten to play it, because his mother took it away from him. She didn't think it was an appropriate game for a kid his age. (Note: Z, at the time, was around 10-11 years old. I got him a Mario game.) P never told me that she didn't want Z playing the game and never asked if she could take it back for something else. The game just sat there and collected dust.

Ditto the above with a DVD box set of a Disney animated series.

Two years ago, my parents and I signed up for a new cell phone family plan together. We thought that getting Z a cell phone and adding him to our plan would be a nice Christmas present. He was about 13 at the time (15 now) so we figured he'd use it to call/text his friends. We kept an eye on the monthly usage to make sure he didn't throw us all over our minutes, but he didn't. He didn't use it much for making calls, actually, but he texted on it a lot, which was good because we had an unlimited texting plan. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Our contract is about to expire and I'm planning on switching cell phone providers, so my parents are deciding what kind of plan they want to go with. They didn't want to drop Z off the plan since it looked like he was still using the phone for texting a lot. My mom asked G how Z liked texting on the phone. G's response: "Oh, Z doesn't use that phone at all. I take it with me when I go to work and use it to text P during the day." It got my mom riled up because she didn't get the phone for G, she got it for Z, and G took it away from him and used it himself.

Also two years ago, B got a $100 gift certificate for L for Christmas. Apparently the company that B got the certificate from keeps track of when their certificates are bought and then used, and if one isn't used after a couple of years, they send a notice to the buyer to let them know that it hasn't been redeemed. Well, B got a letter last week stating that the certificate he got for L hadn't been used yet. When asked about it, P and G's response was, "Oh, a gift certificate? Oh, well, okay." End of story.

I find this frustrating. I understand that all of these examples include gifts, and that they can do whatever they want with the gift after we give it to them. It's just frustrating that fairly high-priced items get wasted so casually. They never thank us for any of this stuff, either. Z's birthday was last month and my parents sent him a $100 check. The check has been cashed, so they know he got it, but they never got so much as an acknowledgment, let alone a thank you for it.

It really makes me not want to get them much for Christmas this year. As I said in the examples above, I've gotten Z video games and DVDs...and I usually get every member of their family something separate (so, 4 gifts total.) I have 1 thing picked out, that was pretty inexpensive, that I want to give to the whole family, and just be done with it.

What do you guys think?

My brother is a pain to get gifts for....he doesn't appreciate gifts at all. My parents used to buy him nice gifts (skates he never used, iPod he never used, camera he never used....actually, they shouldn't buy him any tech stuff....he has no idea HOW to use anything) I just buy him anything with a dog or Yankees on it....at the very least he can put it on a desk to make his place nice.

It sucks when you take time, effort and your hard earned $$ and the recipient doesn't appreciate it, or even get the chance to use it, or have someone else take it as "theirs."

Comment

Man those parents suck. I say keep doing what you do hopefully that is a positive influence on the kids and they don't turn into selfish people like their parents.

I mean I am sorry you steal (Yes it's stealing) a gift from your kid to use it yourself that is wrong. It's one thing if you feel he isn't old enough for a cell you just explain your stance to the grandparents but taking it from your kid and using it yourself.

The kid's not stupid nor blind he can see who cares about him and who doesn't .

Edit:

Sorry sore spot for me my great grandparents used to send me money to use on myself and every year my mom would take it from me to use on herself.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        Sorry sore spot for me my great grandparents used to send me money to use on myself and every year my mom would take it from me to use on herself.
        See, that's what we're afraid is happening here too. The check that my parents wrote for Z's birthday was cashed, but who's to say who got the money? My parents feel more and more that everything they give to Z and L, including checks and gift cards, just gets taken and spent by the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
          See, that's what we're afraid is happening here too. The check that my parents wrote for Z's birthday was cashed, but who's to say who got the money? My parents feel more and more that everything they give to Z and L, including checks and gift cards, just gets taken and spent by the parents.
          Do the kids ever get to spend time at your parents' place? At yours? If so take them shopping buy them stuff for them to play with and such then keep it at your place so they get to use it.

If the parents say anything, "Oh well that is just so when they are visiting they don't get bored"
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            Do the kids ever get to spend time at your parents' place? At yours? If so take them shopping buy them stuff for them to play with and such then keep it at your place so they get to use it.

If the parents say anything, "Oh well that is just so when they are visiting they don't get bored"
            The kids used to visit my parents' house about once a year (on their own, without their parents.) They used to come and stay for a week or so during the summer. The last several years they have not, though. Their parents won't let them, or won't finalize plans with my parents when my parents try to set something up. For example, my parents would call and ask if Z and L would like to spend a week at their house. G and P would say they'd think about it and then never get back to my parents. If my parents brought it up again, G and P would have some kind of excuse, like they don't have time due to sports/other activities/family vacation/etc.

When they DID come, my parents and I would "spoil" them a lot compared to what their parents did. We'd let them watch stuff that their parents wouldn't allow (not like R rated movies, just kids shows that their parents never let them watch) or play games, like the video game that I got for Z, that their parents didn't allow. My mom would usually take them shopping and let them pick stuff out, too, but I don't think she ever kept the stuff at her house, she'd always send it back home with the kids. And, of course, it was never heard of again.

Unfortunately, now I live in Texas and everyone else is in Wisconsin, so the kids don't exactly get a chance to spend the weekend with me. I'd be happy to take them if their parents would let them, but since they're not even allowed to visit their own grandparents, who live about a 2 hour drive away, I doubt they'd be allowed to come all the way down here.

Comment

Curiosity? Do they religiously read parenting books?
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

I'm not sure. I know they did when Z (the older of the two children) was first born. They rarely communicate with me or B or our parents, and when they did, everything is very vague, so we really have no idea what's going on in their lives.

Comment

I have 1 thing picked out, that was pretty inexpensive, that I want to give to the whole family, and just be done with it.

What do you guys think?
                  I think I would have started doing that years ago. Why continue to buy someone expensive gifts that they don't want?

I understand it sucks to give someone a gift you're excited about, and later get told that they don't really care for it. But that's the way it goes sometimes. When you give someone a gift, it's out of your hands. It's theirs to do with as they wish.

I suspect they've been trying to get you to stop buying them this much stuff for a while now. G told you the truth that the Sirius radio was sitting unused in a closet when it would have been easier to say, "Great! We love it." I think that's a hint. Take it.

Comment

Yeah, Boozy, I agree with you. Part of the problem, up till now, is that my mom insists on getting big, expensive gifts for everyone, and insists that everyone get -- not necessarily expensive -- but "nice, thought-out" gifts for everyone else. Not "Oh, here's a gift from Maggie to G and his whole family." No, it had to be, "Here's 4 gifts from Maggie to G and his whole family." Her excuse being the famous, "Christmas is for kids and Z and L should each have their own present! And if they're getting their own presents, so should G and P!" She read me the riot act one year when she asked me what I'd gotten for everyone, and I told her, and it didn't stand up to her expectations. "You're going to be getting some wonderful gifts from everyone and you're planning on giving THOSE away!? You are being so selfish, blah blah blah." Heck, even just last year, I wanted to get a board game for G and his family (they love playing board games as a family, from what I understand.) I picked out one out of, I think, National Geographic magazine, since it seemed like it wasn't too well-known and I didn't know what G already had, so I didn't want to get them something popular that they might already own. Anyway, it was fairly expensive, around $50-60. When my mom found out about it: "That's all you're getting them? You're not going to get the kids anything special?" I live 1500 miles away from all of them now, so I'm shipping all of my gifts to everyone and she won't know what anyone gets unless they tell her. At least if she tries to read me the riot act over the phone, I can just hang up.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it -- reverse psychology, or something? -- but G and his family do the same thing to us. They get everyone nice, usually fairly expensive gifts, but it's usually stuff that the recipient doesn't want or can't use. And they don't include gift receipts so it can be exchanged. Case in point: Last year, G got B a popcorn maker. B never eats popcorn. Never. He doesn't particularly like it, so the popcorn machine is still in the box that it came in.

Comment

Last year, G got B a popcorn maker. B never eats popcorn. Never. He doesn't particularly like it, so the popcorn machine is still in the box that it came in.
                      Um...send it to me?

My sister has already announced that she is not buying Christmas presents and no one is to buy Christmas presents for her or her husband. If anyone wants to get the kids something small, fine, but don't go overboard. (They are, of course, buying a few presents for the kids, but that's it.) They're buying a house and finances are tight.

I'm personally trying to get my parents to not get me much for Christmas, because they're broke. They have a lot of bills and not a lot of money. But Mom is so damned insistent. She wants to get me a netbook. And I want a netbook, but I'm going to wait until I get the next round of loans and buy it myself like a big girl. She's always whining "Tell me something to get you!!!!!!" And I can't think of much, because there are only a few things I need. A pair of really warm, comfy boots, new slippers, some fleece socks, maybe some more pj pants. But she doesn't want to get me that kind of stuff. "I want to get you something you don't need." And, invariably, it will be something that was too expensive and that I don't really like and because it was expensive, I'll feel guilty.

GAH.

Comment

I'm appalled that the father took the phone that was given to the kid and uses it to text his idiot wife during the day.

What a dick. Most 13 year olds I know text like crazy, but even if you dont want your kid to have a phone to text with, GREAT example you show by taking it FOR YOUR FUCKING SELF and texting with it, knowing it has an unlimited plan.

That really burns me up. I'm sorry for your niece and nephew.

Comment

Just outright say: "If I buy niece and nephew anything are you going to actually let them have it or are you going to steal it like other gifts we've given them?"

Comment

I don't know if this has anything to do with it -- reverse psychology, or something? -- but G and his family do the same thing to us. They get everyone nice, usually fairly expensive gifts, but it's usually stuff that the recipient doesn't want or can't use.
                            Dad's family does that shit. Every year, my grandmother and aunt will ask for our Christmas lists. Did we ever get anything on it? Of course not! They'd either opt for cheap electronics (by cheap, I mean like $2 or so), books by obscure authors, or anything else my grandmother thought we "needed"

Comment

This year, provide your grandmother with a list of things you "want" including garage-sale paperback romances and Tamagotchi pets.

You'll probably get a PS3 or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X