Oh noes I am broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh noes I am broke

My mom who makes more money than is emailing me again telling me how desperate she is to get paid early, I owe her money I pay her out of my second pay check each month the first goes to rent.

If she were to drop her 3 storage sheds at 150 a pop she would have plenty of money to pay her bills and keep all the fun (Satellite, Cell phones, Netflix, etc) that she likes without running into any issues.

She is a major pack rat. I understand that I do really owe her money but at the same time she seems like she would be happier if I was living under a bridge and handing her every dime I make.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

How much do you owe her? What's she going to do when you pay off your debt to her?

Comment

I originally owed her 10 grand. I paid her 6 in one shot and have been working at paying the remaining 4. I also though have to pay off my back rent and my back child support. Until a little over a year ago I was bouncing around temping. Even my current job carries the possibility of periods of unemployment.

She doesn't seem to know how to manage her money and spends a lot of it on unnecessary things, ie gas in her car to go get more stuff through freecycle even though her home is full of boxes and you have to walk a narrow path to get anywhere.

Currently I am buying my little brother's pool table off of her. She covered the money for his legal fund. For that I owe her one more payment of $200. The deal originally was I pay her that out of the second paycheck of the month because most of my first paycheck goes to pay my rent. now she is harping at me to give it to her. The only reason she is in trouble is because she is unwilling to cut down on her expenses.

If I even dare to spend money on myself she tries to make me feel like a horrible person for it even though she is always spending money on herself.
      Last edited by jackfaire; 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Ugh, packrats. My family doesn't have much money, but my stepdad is a packrat. You can't even really walk in our basement and you can barely walk through our garage. My mom finally made him have a yard sale and he made a lil over $1000 in one day. Call Clean House and make them go to your mom's.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Do you have some kind of written contract with your mom stating how much you owe her, how much has been paid, when and how much you will pay her every month, etc? I would think it would be necessary in a situation like this. Also, if you buy something for yourself, how does she find out about it? You don't live with her, correct? Keep as much distance between you and her as possible. Drop your money off once a month and keep that as your only contact unless an emergency comes up.

Comment

I go over once a week to do my laundry because my landlords refuse to replace the dryer in the laundry room and I refuse to spend 10 dollars to dry a load of clothes.

She finds out about new things cuz I either slip up and tell her or like

2 months after I gave her the 6 grand I was wearing a new shirt she saw it and screamed at me for buying clothes, let me repeat that, clothes before paying her more money.

We do have a payment plan worked out now. One of the reasons I have to keep in contact is becasue I can't afford to drive and some things I need a car for.

I do minimize my contact htough. Unfortunatly I was stupid enough to teach her how to use her IM.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

That sucks. Especially about her yelling at you for getting new clothes. It would be somewhat more justified if you went out every week and got new clothes all the time. Or if you we were wearing some $100 designer shirt. But a t-shirt? That's about as basic and cheap as you can get. Everyone needs clothing, for crying out loud. What does she expect you to do, run around with shirts that are worn out/frayed/falling apart?

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
                What does she expect you to do, run around with shirts that are worn out/frayed/falling apart?
                Yes I have actually everytime I mentioned needing new clothes, I have since stopped mentioning, had her try to give me hand me downs from 20 year old boxes.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

Working...
                X