Why do people hate rats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people hate rats?

No, not those furry little creatures that crawl around in your walls and eat garbage. I'm talking about someone who informs the police that someone else has committed a crime.

And I don't just mean other criminals. I mean everyone. Recently, in my local area, a group of guys went a little crazy with their booze one night and wound up causing all sorts of mischief - they even at some point stole a large fishing boat and crashed it into all the other fishing boats in the local marina. Stuff like this.

Only one guy was caught, and all everyone talks about is what a fine, upstanding young man he must be since he didn't rat out his friends.

I can understand why his fellow criminals would hate rats. To a criminal, a rat is someone who directly working against him and can seriously fuck up his day. So I can see why his friends would think "Yeah, that's awesome that he didn't rat us out!" But even regular people seem to think that being a rat is a bad thing, and that this guy must be the best dude in the world to have not ratted out his friends.

What the hell? I always thought that being a fine upstanding young man meant not getting drunk and going on rampages and stealing people's fishing boats and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

No one likes a tattle-tale, mkay.

That's purely it. Remember being a kid.. no one liked the tattle-tale.
    Crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away.

Comment

Teachers would punish you for ratting out your friends or anyone else then wonder why no one would speak up when they asked them too.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

But... aren't we all grown up now???

Or is society still incredibly immature?
        ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Honestly, my first thought to the thread was:

No, not those gangly little creatures that hang around in your malls and eat garbage.
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
            But... aren't we all grown up now???

Or is society still incredibly immature?
            Are these seriously questions?

If so, then no and yes. Most people don't ever seem to grow out of that bull.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'd guess that if you rat out your friends you are seen as being disloyal. And of course loyalty is more important than, say, doing the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by Savannah View Post
                I'd guess that if you rat out your friends you are seen as being disloyal. And of course loyalty is more important than, say, doing the right thing
                Some believe that the whole loyalty thing is the right thing. They believe that telling on someone else is morally or ethically wrong.

However oh my god the cries of how could they find him innocent wasn't there any witnesses that you will hear from these people
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

My only pet peeve with rats is the ones who are IN on the crime and rat out their pals just to get a lighter sentence/less jail time/smaller fine/etc.

My bf has a friend like that, though bf is much smarter than he was when he was younger and doesn't deal this stuff anymore, he knows for a fact that his friend got his slate wiped off nicely from anything he did wrong because he'd nark out stuff his friends were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                    Some believe that the whole loyalty thing is the right thing. They believe that telling on someone else is morally or ethically wrong.
                    ...and then these same people will bitch and complain about how "crime is out of control" in their neighborhood. That is, they don't want to turn in people who commit the crimes, yet complain about it Sorry, but that shit doesn't fly with me.

Comment

Working...
                    X