Forced sales pitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced sales pitches

I thought about posting this at CS, but was afraid of it stirring up an argument over telemarketing.

Most of us don't like getting calls from telemarketers. A lot of us handle it by signing up for the Do Not Call list, where available. Others screen our calls via the answering machine and/or Caller ID, since politicians and charities are still allowed to harrass us.

Apparently since so many of us are avoiding telemarketers in some way or another, companies are now forcing sales pitches on us when we have to call in for something. It happened to me just recently when I got a Best Buy credit card. The accompanying letter told me I had to call in the get it activated, and when I did they tried to sell me some kind of insurance. When I politely said no, they tried a second time. I was so tempted to rudely point out that when I said "no" the first time, that meant "no", not "tell me more", or that I just wanted to activate the damn card and not listen to some stupid sales pitch, but I knew I'd be yelling at the wrong person. After the second time, they backed down, but I was quite annoyed.

Another time my wife's card expired, and she hadn't received the replacement. She feared the worst (i.e. it got misdirected and someone else was using it), and she frantically called in to report it lost and have a replacement issued. Before they did anything, they too tried to sell her some product or service that she didn't want.

It's bad enough when a telemarketer calls you, but at least you can hang up on them, refuse to talk to them, or even just not answer the call. But if I would have hung up on them or gotten rude, I wouldn't have got my card activated, and my wife wouldn't have had her replacement issued. They have you right where they want you, until they wear you down and sucker you into accepting the service or product they're trying to push on you, or you say no that magic number of times they're looking for.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Amen!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I absolutely despise calling the cable company for a techie issue and wasting my minutes on my phone listening to several minutes of dribble, them trying to upgrade me before even attempting to help me.

The best part is how Charter loves to tell you it's a "free" upgrade when it really isn't. And I swear, you have to say no at least 5 times and almost resort to cursing and threats before they help you.

Comment

I worked for a company that insisted we do add on sales. Trying to sell stuff at the end of a customer service call. 9 times out of 10 if someone called us they were not in the mood to buy something.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I had to call in to activate a card recently, and the woman on the other end was actually quite polite about my saying "no thanks" to the add-ons (she did say that I could sign up online if I ever changed my mind; unlikely but thank you for the no-pitch option).

The hell I'm going through right now is trying to get something taken off my other CC...when I call them, for "verification" they want the phone number I had when I was signed up (college dorm phone, so even if I could remember the number the likelihood is high that it doesn't exist anymore).
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

While I haven't had to in a while I do believe you can opt-out of those types of things as well because my credit card companies don't bother me anymore and years ago I put myself on their do not solicit services lists. However I did have one recently, and the thing is I can understand selling to someone who say is changing services, requesting another cable box, etc. But to try to sell to someone whose pissed off about something is just going overboard. Because I mean I called about bad equipment and it being a recurring problem. (I had 3 Fios routers fail on me in a 2 week span) And I was ticked because when they tell you their sending new equipment and you get a router that looks like it was dragged behind a car for a mile it doesn't make me comfortable that it will work any longer than the last three, but yet they were trying to sell me addons the whole times I was calling to bitch them out. The sad thing actually though the dragged behind a car router now has actually been running for about 3 months no problem :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slugger View Post
              The sad thing actually though the dragged behind a car router now has actually been running for about 3 months no problem :P
              *Guys in tech support* Well we have rebooted them, updated software. What else can we try.

I KNOW! Let's drag them behind a car.

*After a geek wedding*

EUREEKA IT WORKED!!!
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                I worked for a company that insisted we do add on sales. Trying to sell stuff at the end of a customer service call. 9 times out of 10 if someone called us they were not in the mood to buy something.
                "Ahhhh, but that one time out of ten, that a sale we wouldn't have gotten otherwise! And of all of you get one person buying out of every ten calls, then we could make MILLIONS!"

That's what I'm betting they'd say back.

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
                  "Ahhhh, but that one time out of ten, that a sale we wouldn't have gotten otherwise! And of all of you get one person buying out of every ten calls, then we could make MILLIONS!"

Actually that's along the lines of what they did say back my response was,

"I ain't selling until you pay me a decent wage"
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

I hate forced sales pitches, but I can understand what's it's like on both sides of the coin, since I have to do them at work. On one end the rep has to do it for his/her job's sake to meet numbers and/or not get written up or worse...fired. On the other hand, as a customer it's pretty damn annoying, especially if the rep is being pushy about it.
                    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post

But how many customers or potential customers do they drive off that way? That's the reason I stopped going to Media Play. I got tired of being harrassed every step of the way to sign up for their rewards program. I got it three times in the same visit -- once in the software department, again in the movie department, and then a third time at the register. After that, I never set foot in there again, until they held their going out of business sale.

These corporate idiots never see the big picture.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Working...
                      X