Feeling guilty for not working more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling guilty for not working more

I hate this. Duh I mean look where I posted. I feel guilty because I won't be coming in tomorrow to work overtime. I feel guilty because we have had massive call volume more than we usually get by a lot.

I honestly can't come in. Doing so would wipe me out worse than my current schedule does I would have to go to sleep earlier and would reduce my free time to less than an hour every evening.

I know it's bad for me to work OT exhausted because I will snap and lash out at a customer but I still feel guilty and I hate it.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Don't beat yourself up too much. Your health is more important than overtime. I have had to sit and contemplate not doing overtime myself. I was working two jobs, dealing with school, and planning my wedding. I was completely wiped out. I needed the money, but what good would it do if I was sick in bed for a few days because I pushed myself too hard?

You just have to take time to breath and unwind or you will make yourself sick.

Comment

Ask yourself this: Is it your fault they are in this situation? No? Then why are you expected to kill yourself over a situation made by someone else?

You'd be surprise how that little train of thought ends so many guilt trips.

Heck, I used to take my vacation on my birthday (because god knows I'd never get it off otherwise) so one year my manager was trying to get me to work it so she could keep her schedule sane. Before I could say anything, she noticed that I booked the week off, then proceeded to say "That's why it's screwed up! It's your fault!" I reminded her that I booked it off a month in advance, to in reality, it was her problem, not mine. Lack of foresight and all that.

Comment

Heh....and the only reason that barely ANYONE called in the past 2 nights during the blizzard is because every peeon at the factory is on mandatory overtime and NO ONE was willing to risk losing the OT pay by missing a night of work.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
          Heh....and the only reason that barely ANYONE called in the past 2 nights during the blizzard is because every peeon at the factory is on mandatory overtime and NO ONE was willing to risk losing the OT pay by missing a night of work.
          Hmmm, isnt that interesting???

I would sometimes LOVE to tell my bosses to F- off, but I need the money, so I do it. And I think they know that. Which sucks.

Comment

Pepper, I think the bigwigs feel pretty secure when we're on overtime that almost everyone will show up in any weather because no one wants to risk being written up or losing their OT pay.

We still get punished for calling in during inclimate weather.....we aren't allowed to feel guilty.

Comment

I work for a utility and everyone is told when being hired, "rain sleet or snow you will be here if you can't do that there's the door"
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                Pepper, I think the bigwigs feel pretty secure when we're on overtime that almost everyone will show up in any weather because no one wants to risk being written up or losing their OT pay.

We still get punished for calling in during inclimate weather.....we aren't allowed to feel guilty.

I know, hon. I was being faceteous. As in - interesting how if not on OT, most ppl would call out, but since on OT - they can make it.

Hey - I can't talk - I'd be the same way!

Comment

Working...
                X