Lecture and Nag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lecture and Nag

I hate being lectured on what I already know. If I make a mistake, for example, and it's simply that I had a momentary lapse in judgement and it was a one-time deal, and in fact I understand the mistake I made and I understand the proper way of doing things, there is no need to lecture me. Especially when I say point blank "I already know this, so stop lecturing me." I already know every word that's going to come out of your mouth, and the only legitimate reason for these words to come out of your mouth is for me to be informed. Since I am already informed, there is no sense in lecturing. But I keep getting lectured. (TPS reports, anyone?)

Secondly, I hate being nagged about something which I can do nothing about. Like when my dad starts nagging me on all the things wrong with our car. Of course I know this. I know the windshield has a crack in it. I know I can't get an inspection sticker with that crack there. I know that if the cops see it I'll get a ticket. I already know this. Guess what! Guess what I can do about it? NOTHING!!!! A windshield can cost as much as 500 dollars. I don't have 500 dollars. If I did have 500 dollars, I wouldn't spend it on a windshield. I'd probably buy oil to heat my home, or pay down the light bill a little bit. SO QUIT FUCKING NAGGING ME BECAUSE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is .. yeah! Especially on the second.
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I stopped my mother nagging me once by turning around and saying, "you know what, I know all this, but food is a bit more important then the damn *cant remember what* getting fixed... if it bothers you so much feel free to pay to have it fixed"

Same with my house... dont bitch if it is not clean enough for you other wise i will just tell you to clean it if it bothers you.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        A windshield can cost as much as 500 dollars. I don't have 500 dollars. If I did have 500 dollars, I wouldn't spend it on a windshield.
        Probably different rules for a different state, but the insurance companies don't cover them in your state?

Comment

It really annoys me when someone lectures me for a mistake I made once and that someone acts like I did it several times. It's also annoying when the situation is explained further than it needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slugger View Post
            Probably different rules for a different state, but the insurance companies don't cover them in your state?
            Depends on the insurance company, what kind of coverage you have, and if the windshield had any damage when you bought your policy. When I got my current policy, my windshield had a small chip, so they may not pay to have my windshield replaced.

Comment

What I really don't like is when upon hearing of something I did, someone responds with "you could have done X/shouldn't have done Y"...I KNOW THAT NOW, I am capable of learning from my actions. Humans make mistakes. "Coulda/woulda/shoulda" is useless unless one is actually able to jump back in time (where'd my clockwork walnut go?).

Originally posted by purplecat41877 View Post
              It really annoys me when someone lectures me for a mistake I made once and that someone acts like I did it several times. It's also annoying when the situation is explained further than it needs to be.
              GameStore boss did that constantly. On one single occasion an item got mispriced online and purchased at that (really low) price before I was able to catch the error. Turned out he was the one that mispriced it to begin with. Yet I heard about it for months afterwards.

My mom tends to do that (at times getting a tad patronizing).

I don't need a treatise on the nature of the decision, just a yes or no! I got whined at for buying a comic book yesterday ("you don't need to spend money")...how often do I buy comic books? Not very.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM.
              "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

My boss does that constantly. Whenever I make a mistake, I get a 45-minute lecture about it. But, I don't just get *one* lecture... He'll bring that mistake up any time something happens that he doesn't like. Also, instead of simply saying "I need you to to (this), (this), and (this)..." not only does he say that, but then I get to hear just why those 3 tasks are important. How about you shut the hell up, and let me do them?

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  Depends on the insurance company, what kind of coverage you have, and if the windshield had any damage when you bought your policy. When I got my current policy, my windshield had a small chip, so they may not pay to have my windshield replaced.
                  Yea, my current coverage only pays the other person if I'm at fault. I will get $0 regardless from my insurance company for all other damage to my car.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Yup, I get that happen to me. If I make a mistake and it is clear that I know what I am doing. Do not go on and on about it. That just pisses me off. Another thing, if I am doing something a different way. It is because it is faster and better for me. Do not tell me to do it another way.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      My boss does that constantly. Whenever I make a mistake, I get a 45-minute lecture about it.
                      ...and then he wonders why you're not getting enough work done, am I right?

I'm also one of those people who is perfectly happy being told once what needs to be done, and I can typically make the logical leaps needed to know how to do it (trying to hold my hand only wastes time and pisses both of us off, so please don't). If I need help, I will ask.

(I think the reason game store boss did the exact opposite is that he couldn't stand things being done differently than he thought they should--took that as insubordination or somesuch crap)
                      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

My mom can be like that.....but the twist here is that once you get her going (and I mean, you don't even have to literally get her going, she'll get upset over the slightest thing and just get going on a roll) she will NOT stop.

Living alone now for so long, God am I thankful I don't have to deal with that anymore. She'd start with something like me not cleaning the bathroom, which would snowball into my bad attitude, which would snowball into irresponsibility, which would snowball into immaturity.........oh my god she could just go on and on.

The best part of all? It was like clockwork, and after years of it, I never learned to take off and get away while I could. In between her rants/subjects of her rants, she'd walk off for a minute and find the next thing to bitch about, so soon after she'd come right back "And ANOTHER thing Missy!"

Oh, and being called Missy all the time. Not even close to my name.....not that there's anything wrong with that name, it's just a family thing in my family if you get called Missy, it's really degrading and means you are in DEEP shit.

Comment

Blas, I've told my brother off for that sort of crap. He doesn't do it.. not without risking an earful from me. My parents don't, cos they know I'll stop it pretty quick. If they can't talk to me like an adult, then they don't get to talk to me... end of story. It's worked quite well for a few decades now
                          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

This happened to me when I got a bad secret shopper review once. First a junior FES told me. Then a senior FES. Then an office worker. Then the head cashier. Then the assistant manager. Then the head FES. Then the store manager.

After the third lecture, I was pissed enough for the rest of the day that I'm sure I'd have blown any performance review they did. By the time I heard #7, I was wondering why I was even still bothering to show up to work.
                            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

At my last job, there was about a week when no one really knew who was in charge. We had a new manager-in-training, two owners, and an interim manager -- all working at once.

So when I fucked up, I'd get told about it no fewer than four times.

One of the owners finally got savvy to what was happening and came up to me and said, "So....what's this I'm hearing about your TPS reports?" I laughed, he apologized, and then he paid for drinks after work.

Comment

Working...
                              X