People who make it about them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who make it about them

There is a difference between adding in your own story or opinion to contribute to the conversation and making it about yourself.

Example of the first:

My friends and I sit around, talk about our past. One friend brings up a story that is related to something the other friend has experienced. After friend number one is done with their story, friend number two chimes in with their story. No harm. It's cool.

Example of the second:

I came to a friend of mine who introduced me to the show Supernatural about what I want to name a kitty.

"I figured out that the next kitty I get will be named Azazel, especially if it has yellow eyes."

"Are you trying to make me hate cats more?"

"No. Why?"

"I'm already afraid of cats. You know that. Now you want to go name your cat after a demon, just to freak me out even more."

Um. No. I want to name the cat Azazel because I like the name and it is very fitting for a cat, especially if the cat has yellow eyes. It is not to annoy you. It will be MY cat. Not yours.

It just really bothers me when people do that. I make a decision based on what I want/need, not to make you feel a certain way.
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

I'm accused of that very often, I've found... I guess it's a thin line to draw. It seems, once people find out I'm a gun nut, they take every reference to firearms I make as a personal insult to their non-gun-loving ways... It's annoying.

On another note, Azazel does sound like a good cat name, provided I'm pronouncing it correctly... the yellow eyes bit is beyond me, but there's an explanation for that too, I guess.

Yet another example of EWs trying to get close enough to eliminate us
    All units: IRENE
    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I was confused at first, because I kept misreading Azazel as Azrael Don't ask me why). Which, as we all know is ALREADY a cat name.

Comment

I have been accused of that recently. It sucks, because I was just sharing my story and they couldn't handle it.

Comment

Wingates, the yellow eyes part is a reference to Supernatural. There was a demon in it with yellow eyes (his distinctive feature) named Azazel.
          "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

My ex-roomie is like that. To an insane degree. I could be talking about something as simple as, oh, say, I'm having peas with dinner, and she launches into a story about why she hates peas, which leads to yet another story about something completely different, and then still another story about herself, herself, herself.

There's a reason I don't live with her anymore. Her favorite saying when in an argument or debate is, "But you have to see where I'm coming from!!!11!!" Though the same doesn't apply to her. It's all about her. >.>

Comment

My mom when talking about anything bad that happened to me in my childhood.

"How could they do that to me"

Kid beat me up at school,

Adult abused me,

failed a class

etc

All were things that she wanted to know how people could do that stuff to her.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Jack, my mom is the same way.

I had a graduation/ birthday party on graduation day. The deal was, I could invite ANYBODY I wanted. So, I invited my best friend. However, my mom doesn't like my best friend because 4 years ago I gave my virginity to him. So, he showed up and was standing in the street (wasn't dangerous though. He was standing near our lawn and our street is NEVER busy). I gave him a hug and invited him in. However, he only wanted to stop by and say congrats and how proud he was of me.

My mom saw him and FLIPPED SHIT. She started causing a scene in front of everybody and tried getting my grandpa to take action(after she had complained about him all day ). Tattoo left and my mother was all like "Ooh How could he DO THIS TO ME?! How could he show up to my house and disrespect me again? blah blah blah blah."

My grandparents (who own our house) agreed that since he was standing in the street, there was nothing they could do about it. They then asked me why he was there and I told them that I had invited him and he is still a part of my life, which they accepted. Later on, my mom and I argued about it. I told her that she let other people who had hurt me in the house. She informed me that they didn't "disrespect her, so it was okay." So then I asked her if it was okay for those other people to hurt me, but still get invited over no problem. She said yes because they didn't do anything to her.

Glad to know where her priorities are.

Comment

Working...
                X