"you may not like what I am going to say, but it's the TRUTH!!!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "you may not like what I am going to say, but it's the TRUTH!!!"

Typically said when someone knows they are saying something that's going to upset that person. It's always the most negative possibility they bring up that they claim is the truth, and they say it in such a way that infers that everyone else is just telling them what they want to hear. Now, you may be thinking, "Well, a lot of the times, the truth is something you don't want to hear". Really?

-So that preacher who tells a grieving father that his son is burning in hell is only telling "the truth"?

-The friend who tells their depressed friend that all their problems are their own fault is only telling "the truth".

-The most depressing movies are always the ones based on reality, because happy endings are never real, right? Is that "the truth"?

-The most negative critic of your work is always the most honest because they are telling you what you don't want to hear (aka "the truth").

I hate to use those kind of examples, but those are exactly the examples I am getting at. These "no nonsense" type people always feel they are telling you the truth by giving you the answer you least wanna hear. Sure, there are times when that is the truth, but on subjective things like cannot be proven, it's not. Even when it isn't subjective, there are times when telling "the truth" is just going to cause more harm than good. Does someone who is just venting about their job need to be told "That's life"? I think not.

Personally, I think people like that have a bad case of optorectalitis. Therefore, they get a real shitty outlook on life.

Sounds like you have a case of the Mondays

Kidding. No I totally get you though. That's complete BS. It's always people that claim to be a straight shooter too. Uhm sorry no it's called forcing your opinion on someone without any tact.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
      -The most depressing movies are always the ones based on reality, because happy endings are never real, right? Is that "the truth"?
      Yes.

Well in my experience it is.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        Yes.

Well in my experience it is.
        Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Sometimes tho, it's asked for. If you put your work up in a public area, and ask for reviews, then you are going to get the odd one or two that you won't like. More so if your work really is shite. Tho, there is a way to give constructive criticism without coming over as a dick; but there are sadly a lot of people who will take anything save unadultarated praise as being rudeness.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

In my experience, people who proudly proclaim themselves to be "blunt" and "straightforward" are really "assholes" who think they can get away with being rude and cruel in the name of "honesty."

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              In my experience, people who proudly proclaim themselves to be "blunt" and "straightforward" are really "assholes" who think they can get away with being rude and cruel in the name of "honesty."
              Agreed, again.

They usually begin by saying "I may come across as blunt" which is usually a red flag to some condesending talk about how it's their fault and that they should just suck it up other people have it worse blah blah blah.

The way I see it, if people feel they are being honestly straightfoward, they won't say so right off the bat. Usually, they say what needs to be said without being an ass about it.

Comment

Ever notice how the ones who like to say rude things to people under the guise of "honesty" or "keepin' it real" seem to be the ones who can't take it themselves? Say something back to them and watch their heads practically explode. They pride themselves on dishing out "honesty", but can't take it in return.

Comment

Much agreed, Boozy.

I save special amounts of hatred for the self important assholes and bitches who think that their "honest" and "straight-forward" advice or ideas on life are the best.

Comment

You may not like what I am going to say, but it's the truth.

at least once at some point your parents had sex

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                      You may not like what I am going to say, but it's the truth.

at least once at some point your parents had sex
                      Nope my dad and mom used artificial insemination

Kidding.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Artificial insemination has truly taken great strides, I here they're working on artifical sperm, they planning on calling it...

I can't believe it's not semen.

Comment

Let's see Fabio endorse THAT product!

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                            Artificial insemination has truly taken great strides, I here they're working on artifical sperm, they planning on calling it...

I can't believe it's not semen.

Fortunately, salt-reduced.

Unfortunately, no added sugar.
                            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

The way I see it, if people feel they are being honestly straightfoward, they won't say so right off the bat. Usually, they say what needs to be said without being an ass about it.
                              That seems backwards: I hate offending anyone, and feel uncomfortable saying things that, nonetheless, sometimes do need to be said. So if I'm asked flat-out for an honest opinion, or I'm not but it's actually needed, I apologize in advance. Now, if I said such things at every possible opportunity that'd be different.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X