Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But the new decade doesn't start until 2011!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But the new decade doesn't start until 2011!!!!

One day into the new year and I'm already hearing this. Since there's no year zero everything is off a year. Or say they say. I'm getting annoyed by it.

These are the same dumb people who, when in a discussion with someone, will harp on the fact that they said "But" which automatically proves their point. Ironically, these are the same people who A) want to 100% ban guns from being owned by anyone not an army general and B) think that they should be allowed to own any weapon they want, even a nuke, because "That's what the constitution says derrrrrrrr".

I mean seriously, if you're 40 do you still say you're in your 30's? No. I hate it to break it to everyone not smart enough to breath without being reminded, but the new decade started about (in my timezone) 8 hours ago. Sorry you'll be a year late when you celebrate it.

http://clipmarks.forbes.com/tag/when...he-decade-end/

Comment

I got that same crap 10 years ago with the year 2000. All this excitement over the new millennium, yet so many people had to be spoil sports and go "But it's not until 2001!". Uh no, as far as I am concerned, we go from the 1000s to the 2000s. Can't we just celebrate 2000 like everyone else and enjoy the big change? What's more exciting to celebrate, 2000 or 2001?

Comment

While it might not technically be a new decade until 2011....too bad, so sad for the "technical" new decade, I'm celebrating it now.

If someone feels the need to do it next year, then they certainly can. But don't spoil my fun.

Comment

We are in a new decade. The previous decade includes the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009. Count them & you'll see it's 10 years! 10 years makes up 1 decade.
          Makes sense to me.

Comment

Hearing people refer to 2000 as the new millennium or that this is the start of a new decade is like reading people type in net speak.

I am sorry but yes if someone can't read a calendar that does give me pause and until they prove otherwise make me question their intelligence. I don't harp on it but it is something that is pretty straightforward.

One of the annoying parts is pointing out to people that millennial prophecies they are so damn concerned about call themselves millennial but are dated for 2000 thus are complete bunk
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

The whole calendar is most likely fucked up; so who gives a toss, seriously? Those scientists who are just mad cuz they never get invited to any New Decade or even New Year parties?
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Those scientists who are just mad cuz they never get invited to any New Decade or even New Year parties?
                That would be my guess.

After all, who wants to hang out a party with someone who feels the need to correct people over small little things that aren't even important?

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Star View Post
                  We are in a new decade. The previous decade includes the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009. Count them & you'll see it's 10 years! 10 years makes up 1 decade.
                  Makes sense to me.
                  Yes, but the bone of contention is usually that 0 wasn't a year, so you count from year 1 to 10, not from 0 to 9.

That also makes sense.

Although I honestly don't really care either way.

Comment

It's like how other people are bothered by spelling errors; it can be argued you knew what the person was saying hence it doesn't matter if they spelled it correctly and you shouldn't be bothered by it.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

In terms of history, a decade is considered to be, for example, 1920-1929, then 1930-1939. Which would then be referred to as the 20's, the 30's, etc. That's just how it is, folks. It's much different than spelling errors, I think.

But hey, celebrate your new decade in 2015. Who cares?

Comment

IMO, both are correct, but in different contexts. If you are counting from the very beginning and counting every 10 years from then, then yes, technically, it does not start until 2011. But you're counting in terms of a block of 10 years grouped together for a convenvient reference point (such as the 1950's, 1980's, etc), then it has already started.

But hey, the term decade itself does not define where it starts, so from 1935 to the end of1944 represent a decade of time as well.

A decade is 10 years measured from the starting point, no matter how you slice it. There's no point in arguing over where you started, since you can start pretty much wherever the hell you want.

So yeah, I'm in the "who the hell cares" category. What happens this year isn't going to be changed by what decade someone considers it to be a part of.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          It's much different than spelling errors, I think.
                          Was more comparing the new millennium to spelling errors.

Admin if someone took a topic you knew about and repeatedly gave others incorrect information on it would that not bother you?

If they then argued that you yourself were wrong and an idiot for feeling that they are wrong would that not bother you?
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                            Admin if someone took a topic you knew about and repeatedly gave others incorrect information on it would that not bother you?
                            Of course. It bothers me that people consider an uneducated actor and second-rate businessman from Stratford-upon-Avon to be the greatest writer of the English language when there is practically no proof. However, I have accepted that most people don't realize William Shakespeare was just a pen name and they like the story so....so what?

And, yeah, people considered 2000 to be the new millenium. I did too.

Comment

If there's no "Zero Year" then what do we consider the first 12 months of our lives? After those 12 months, we become a year older. I turn 35 on my 35th birthday, not my 36th. Are people still in their 30s when they turn 40? 2011 will be the end of the first year of the decade. The decade will end when the new one begins in 2020.

CH
                              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                              X