The aspca commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The aspca commercials

I know this is going to sound very uncaring of me but I hate the aspca commercials. I'm talking about the ones with Sarah McLachlan mostly.

The reason is because I love animals and hate when they get mistreated. Everytime it comes on I have to turn it because it upsets me and I start crying, then I get angry.

I know it seems I'm looking the other way, but I just can't handle watching stuff like that I'm sorry I just can't.

Why do people have to be so mean to animals?
    If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

They upset me too, so much that I have to walk away or change the channel.

It's not looking the other way. It's being a caring person to get that upset over schmucks who abuse and neglect animals.

Comment

I already have a pet. I'm not going to adopt another one. I switch channels every time it comes on.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I agree, I have to switch channels or else I'll start crying. Instead of making us cry why don't they make us want to adopt animals?
        "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

They make me cry and want to adopt, ha. The HSUS is far worse...the animals with captions (like a depressing ICanHas). The orabge cat asking if he'll die *sob*

My cats now run away when they hear these....knowng they are about to get hugged.

Comment

A new one came on Sunday. It showed an abused dog and big words that said: WHAT DID I DO WRONG? I looked at my husband and said nuh-uh no way.

Hubby knows to turn the channel when they come on.
            If I can't bitch, I'll explode- blas87

Comment

I hate these commercials. I already have pets. Plus, the music is the saddest music you will ever hear. And I hate that

Comment

I hate the children in Africa commercials especially the one that plays "so this is christmas"

Comment

I hate it when people try and guilt trip me, though, and this is apparently odd, I just don't get it from the aspca commercials. They vibe, for me, as an attempt to convey that which some people may not be aware of and not an indictment of all non-pet-owners.

There's really only two ways to inspire people to get a pet out of a shelter:

1) Pets are super-duper cute.
                  2) Pets need to be loved but many aren't and never will be...

The first one may be kinder on the eyes, but it's not going to convert anyone... at all. Their mission is to inspire people to help ease the suffering and, pretty or not, the second methods works better.

The 'save african children' ones do bother me, if only because I'm sick of the whole foreign policy thing. They really are guilt tripping anyone 'too lazy and western to pay just one dime a month!!!!!one!!11eleven!'

All IMO, naturally.
                  All units: IRENE
                  HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I don't like the ASPCA commercials either, too sad.

The ads I thought were good were the ones that Pedigree ran during Westminster...Echo the dog wondering if he'd get a home (we would have adopted that cutie), then later showing him with a family. Those seem more effective, a "these animals can have a home like this, and you can help" approach.

The ChildFund ones bug me on some level, they look staged in some way. Now those are guilt-trip ads (is it me or have they been increasing in frequency since the economy got bad?).
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-06-2010, 03:41 AM.
                    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I have to hug my kitties after seeing those commercials. They both came from shelters, and so did Snow. She spent nearly a year in a shelter--nobody wanted her because she wasn't "perfect." Her flaw? She was totally deaf. Otherwise, she was a very sweet, and playful white kitty. Pisses me off, that pets like Snow will spend a long time in shelters, and are usually the first to get put to sleep

Comment

Surprisingly, I don't get upset at those commericals, and I cry at like everything sad (as much as I try not to be, I am a huge crybaby). I actually get quite annoyed at them, but more so at the networks. I watch like the same 3 channels all the time (I have the TV on in the background in my room), and on one, I see it CONSTANTLY. It's like, "Ugh, I get it, and I feel for those poor animals, but I have 2 cats of my own that are a handful, and I cannot handle another pet and the 2 existing ones wouldn't handle it well anyway!"

Comment

I don't like the adverts, child or animal, that show abused or neglected children or animals. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TzoQM3ajs

I like the Dog Trust ads; they show dogs being all happy cuz they've got a new home, and then they ask people to sponser them. I'd rather watch that than abused animals; it just makes me want to switch over.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I think the ASPCA commercials are just as much about getting people to donate (either time or money) as they are about adoption. They know there are lots of people out there like me who like animals but can't have one because of finances/lease regulations, and they're hoping that I will look at that and say, "Aw, poor puppies! I can't adopt one..oh, I'll send money to these people! That will appease my guilt!"

Comment

These things never make me feel guilty because I have done nothing wrong. Do I feel sympathy for the pets, people in trouble, etc yes but I will never feel guilty as I did not cause their lot in life and it is not my responsibility to improve it.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X