Using your gender as an excuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using your gender as an excuse

When you ask a person where is, (stove, attic, water heater, furnace, etc) located in your home and they reply that it they don't know because they are a girl this is infuriating.

This isn't the only time I hear gender used as an excuse.

Both men and women will pass off, bad behavior, willful ignorance, etc as being due to their gender.

Whenever they do this they are effectivly saying, "People of my gender cannot do this"

I get frustrated when I hear other guys say something, "I don't understand why my girlfriend is upset because I am a guy" Uhm no moron you don't understand cuz your not listening to her.

Anyway this was sparked by my asking a customer a question to which, "I don't know I am a girl" was her response.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I guess expecting lazy people to come up with believable excuses is asking for more than we already know they're capable of givings us.
    All units: IRENE
    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I joke about that with my husband (like, 'refusing' to take out the garbage because thats what big strong manly men are for... or he'll 'refuse' to make dinner because that is women's work...) but we don't actually believe those things. It's more on the order of goofing off about things that we just sort of fell into the traditional gender roles on.

Except dishes. I don't do dishes LOL.

I really don't have much patience with the "woe is me, I'm a poor little girl and can't possibly know how to...(whatever)" routine when it's done seriously. It's just an excuse to be lazy in my opinion.

Although I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't know where their stove is... I mean, thats a pretty big appliance and usually relatively centrally located. What does she do, just eat out every night or something?

Comment

My husband tried the "I'm a guy, what do I know?" excuse to get out of our wedding planning. I eventually had to put my foot down and insist that he help. I'd never planned a wedding before either, so he was as qualified as I.

I know more than my husband about cars, plumbing, and basic household repairs. He's also squeamish about spiders, and I'm not. So the "I'm just a girl" excuse just doesn't fly in our household. And I wouldn't allow it even if it did.

With that said, he's a lot stronger than me, so it's always been his job to take out the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyneeva View Post
          IWhat does she do, just eat out every night or something?
          In her case it was the furnace actually and given that it's winter and the thing heats her home most people would make sure they know where it is if they want it turned on.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

oh, that kind of stove... I thought you meant the other kind because you had listed furnace in the same line lol.

I might not be able to get to mine, but I know where it is -- in the crawl space under the house. Claustrophobic, so thats another of those big manly man things my husband has to deal with heh.

Comment

You know, there are some things that I can see as being legit for this. If someone asks me how a tampon works, they are going to get a blank stare followed by me asking why the hell are they asking a guy this. I would expect the same response from a woman would give a similar response if I were to ask her about the proper technique to 'manscape'.
              Most other things though... i'm sorry, your genitals don't define your skill set.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

My wife knows more about Football (American Football) than I do. But then, I dislike sports - and still don't quite get the concept of 'sportsmanship' and 'fair play'. I play strategy/computer games where the object is usually to eliminate your opponent - not score more points than them.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  Most other things though... i'm sorry, your genitals chromosomes don't define your skill set.
                  had to fix that-genitals define nothing other than physical appearance,and even that can be changed-chromosomes can't as of yet.

why yes I do have a few trans-gendered friends why do you ask?
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Which is why I hate it when my friend stares at womans breasts. Even when he has a girlfriend, he will stare at breasts.

His excuse? He's a guy. We're suppose to.

I started smacking him lately, "NO BOOB WATCH!"

He is now not so blatent in the boob staring.
                    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Exactly right, married or not. Never stare. Glance occasionally and hold the image in your mind, but don't stare.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                      X