My Instructor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Instructor

I'm seriously about to scream, my instructor asked the class to send him concept statements for a travel brochure we're working on, he gave us until friday to e-mail him. I still haven't been approved I've sent him 30 different statements, in 4 e-mails. I literally can't get started on the metric fuckton of homework he gave us until he approves one of them. I've even asked him what he wants, and the only replies I get are that the one's I've sent are "too cliche" or he doesn't understand them, or "too straight forward" He says he wants something from a new perspective, which I thought I had given him (though I do realize that not all of them were gold, which was why I sent 10 or so at a time.)

We were also doing an exercise in class (not for marks), where we had to come up with 20 original words about the country our travel brochure talks about. He told me not to use any of the monuments, I'm doing Egypt. I mean there is more to Egypt and in 20 words I would have listed some of that, but man, when you ask for something that is unique about a country then you tell someone not to use the things that are what make it unique (cause I mean, without the history what is it?) then just walk away and don't bother to answer any questions I may have about that, you drive people insane!

I'm sure this will be good experience for actual jobs, but seriously it's annoying me to no end. We may be going into Graphic design where clients can be like this, but we are still students, you have to inform us of what exactly you want. Give us examples that actually apply (not former students work which didn't follow the instructions you gave us or random brochures for companies which don't apply to our work).

*sigh* to top this off, I have 4 other classes and a cold..

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
    We were also doing an exercise in class (not for marks), where we had to come up with 20 original words about the country our travel brochure talks about. He told me not to use any of the monuments, I'm doing Egypt. I mean there is more to Egypt and in 20 words I would have listed some of that, but man, when you ask for something that is unique about a country then you tell someone not to use the things that are what make it unique (cause I mean, without the history what is it?) then just walk away and don't bother to answer any questions I may have about that, you drive people insane!
    Just on this, Anthony Bourdain (love!) went on a trip to Egypt, and made much of the fact that he wasn't the tiniest bit interested in the Pyramids or the Sphinx. Egypt is, apparently, a very friendly country, tropical, has great food and spices, and is combination of Muslim, North African, and Mediterranean culture. I think your professor was just challenging you to think outside the box on this one. I mean, practically everyone knows about the Pyramids and the Ancient Egyptians, but what is it about today's Egypt that is worth seeing?

Comment

I'm aware of that, and I would have gotten to those things. Actually the only thing I had on my list that mentioned it was Monuments. Because while there are lots of other things besides the monuments, those are fairly unique to Egypt. Not to mention the tours that I am doing kind of center around the monuments, if only because it was the only hostel website I could find that had more than two tours. The tours also go through coptic Egypt and Islamic Egypt (so it states on the website). As well as a few other tours.

I'm more or less just frustrated with this instructor because while getting us to think outside the box is good, not informing us of what he actually wants to see is annoying. Everyone in the class is having trouble getting him to understand their concept statements. It's kind of ridiculous. And he refuses to critique anything based on a statement he hasn't approved. So what if he doesn't approve any of them? What happens then, we lose marks because he's picky?

I personally want to go to Egypt at some point, and yes I am interested in the monuments and artifacts. This whole idea of "when you go to a place known for something you shouldn't go see those things" kind of annoys me a little. I don't know, I haven't been in the greatest of moods lately, stoopid sickness.

Comment

Working...
      X