Short Broom Handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Broom Handles

First off, I am not short (6'2"), but one thing I truly hate are short handles on brooms, mops, shovels... etc.
    I don't mind sweeping, mopping, shovelling, vacuuming, etc... but I just don't want to break my back bending over to do it. One size does NOT fit all, and it seems that all handles/sticks are made for people who are closer to the 5 foot mark.
    Yes, I am too proud to get a 2x4 and some duct tape. I think that would only be a temporary solution at best.
    It's snowing here and my back hurts from shovelling. Grrrrr!!!!

I had an opposite problem at work with a mop we had that we had to use nightly (long story short, we had to get rid of it for being unusable after an incident). Not including the few inches for the anchor thingie between the handle and the mop head itself, the handle was nearly 5 feet long. I stand 4'11, and most people I work with are under 5'6.

At one point on the floor we have to mop, hangs the doorway camera moniter. I can't tell you how many times we've nearly taken that thing out when lifing the mop out of the bucket wringer (which is about 18 inches off the floor itself). I seriously threatened to cut off like 1/3 of that handle on mutiple occasions if we had the means. That thing was annoying to handle some days because the damn pole got too much in the way. At least now with the mophead gone, it makes a fine pokey-stick for getting boxes in the compactor.

But even so, I do have to agree with you. Some shovel handles are too short for ANYONE, because even at my short stature, I've ran into some that are on the short size even for me.

Comment

Not something I normally think about, but I have to agree as well. I don't hate sweeping or mopping because it's 'dirty' work, but because of how sore my back is afterward. I'm around 5'8", so not terribly tall, but my 4'11" Mom doesn't understand my problem with the handles, she says they're almost too tall for her, lol.

I really don't understand the logic behind the insanely short handle on the big plastic shovels though. Most people use them for manure and muck, and besides horse poo being very heavy, especially when fresh, it's hard to maneuver that thing even if you're just shoveling leaves.
      A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I'd have to check my facts to be sure, but as I recall, the shorter the handle, the better, when lifting heavy loads. I think it has something to do with the effective weight of the mass increasing with the length of the handle.

Comment

Err.... wouldn't a longer handle provide greater leverage, though? thus making it easier to use? Mah brain's not cooperating at the moment
          All units: IRENE
          HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
            Err.... wouldn't a longer handle provide greater leverage, though? thus making it easier to use? Mah brain's not cooperating at the moment
            No, as the fulcrum is effectively where your lower hand meets the shovel, so it takes more force to get the weight at the other end (where the material is) to get it going the same distance with a longer handle than with a shorter one.

The ideal position is having the lower hand as close to the scoop, but that means you have to bend down further to get to it. Pull a muscle one way or the other unfortunately.

Comment

It depends on what you're doing. If you're digging a hole in the ground, for instance, you want a long handle, because you need the leverage. You're not trying to move the dirt as fast as possible; you're trying to get it to move at all. In this case, the fulcrum is the point where the shovel touches ground level. I have never done any snow shoveling, but it looks to be more a matter of lifting than actual digging, so you'd want either a short handle, or to hold the long handle closer to the business end because the further your hands are from the load, the more leverage it has on you so the heavier it feels. If you don't *mind* it being heavier, or if you'd rather take smaller shovelfuls to avoid the bending, a long one may be better. Possibly more importantly, a long-handled shovel is much harder to fit into the car.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Long-handled snow shovels are useless. You're right; it's all lifting. Safe lifting requires that you keep the load as close to your body as possible.

Comment

I would try to lift with my legs, but with a shorter handle I have to bend over, thus involving my back. .
                  Although, I did see an adjustable handled shovel at the convenience store... but then... with the entire thing plastic, I am wary to trust it too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X