That's right, I don't have TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's right, I don't have TV

Stop acting like it's the weirdest thing in the world. I don't get DTV reception and I'm not willing to shell out money for cable. It's not worth it when anything that I really want to watch is on Hulu, Netflix or YouTube.

My students look at me like I'm an alien and my nana thought I wasn't getting the "real" news by reading articles online. Apparently anything online is completly fake and the good stuff is found on TV. Not even the paper is good enough.

Hell, when I did have TV reception before the big switch, there was never anything on to watch anyway.

You MONSTER! o_o

Joking. XD I don't watch much TV anyway; my TV is mostly for watching DVDs on. There's never anything on, anyway and why watch TV when there's youtube?
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

OMFG! *runs for the hills*

I get cable, and I like it, but mostly for G4 and the Military channel. Especially since all of comedy central is online for free....
      All units: IRENE
      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I'm in that same position myself, only no one's ever given me a hard time about it.......I just tell people that I can't afford cable, and havent gotten around to getting a converter box for my tv.

Comment

As long as you don't carry the attitude of, "I don't watch TV, and therefore I am a superior human being" people should mind their own business. I haven't watched much TV lately; I never do after being at home with my parents for a while. Their TV is on constantly and I have to detox. Hell, I'm three weeks behind on NCIS and that hardly ever happens.

Comment

We found out one of our chem professors didn't have a TV. We were stunned. Naturally the first question came: "So what do you arrange your furniture around?"

Well...?
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't have a TV either. After discovering the Internet and loving its interactive nature, TV became pretty much ignored. When I moved from my parents' house, I didn't get one. I could afford it. I just don't want one.

I got my car serviced on Wednesday. Due to the shitty walking conditions (sheets of ice covering the walkways), I stayed in the dealership in the guest area. Daytime TV was playing. "Is she my sister or my secret mother?"

Fortunately I had a puzzle book and retained some shreds of intelligence, but it was a close-run thing.

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I think the internet will soon replace TV. Look at all the stuff we can do online now. We have many shows and movies uploaded on youtube constantly (I have watched whole movies on youtube). And that's just for TV shows and movies, you can find anything on the internet, all a mouseclick away! We have twitter, facebook, myspace, and most importantly, email for communications. I could go on and on, the internet is god.

Comment

Screen size will prevent the internet from taking over television completely. I can watch movies and TV shows on my computer, but I prefer to watch them on my TV. (I also spend the majority of my day parked in front of my laptop, so getting away from it is a treat.) Not to mention that there are many places that can get satellite television but that can't get anything but dial-up. And you can't watch a TV show and check e-mail on the same computer at the same time (or at least, I can't). So, I think to say that the internet will replace TV might be a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    Screen size will prevent the internet from taking over television completely. I can watch movies and TV shows on my computer, but I prefer to watch them on my TV. (I also spend the majority of my day parked in front of my laptop, so getting away from it is a treat.) Not to mention that there are many places that can get satellite television but that can't get anything but dial-up. And you can't watch a TV show and check e-mail on the same computer at the same time (or at least, I can't). So, I think to say that the internet will replace TV might be a stretch.
                    I got a little carried away there.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      And you can't watch a TV show and check e-mail on the same computer at the same time (or at least, I can't). So, I think to say that the internet will replace TV might be a stretch.
                      I have an adapter that turns my TV into an extended monitor I can check my Email and stream TV shows at the same time.

As for the TV thing I don't have DTV reception either. I only have a TV because I am a console gamer and need something to utilize with it. Plus I just picked up a 50 inch projection TV for a 100 bucks and it is nice to watch Watchmen the way it was meant to be seen.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

I haven't watched regular TV in years, and good riddance. Only use I have for it is local news and weather. The handful shows I still watch are on my computer.
                        Customer: I need an Apache.
                        Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

most lcd and flatscreen tvs have a pc input option and a lot of computers have svideo, my monitor is actually a 20 inch tv.
                          Last edited by gremcint; 01-17-2010, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I still don't know what you arrange your furniture around if you have no TV.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              I still don't know what you arrange your furniture around if you have no TV.
                              If I didn't have my TV my couch would probably face my pool table.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X