Overly Uselessly Helpful People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Uselessly Helpful People

My wife and I are both extremely sick right now. She's passed out in bed after puking all day, and I'm not too far behind her. Unfortunately, I have to go to her mother's house and pick up the baby.

If she wanted to be helpful she could've said "Hey I'll keep th e baby another night so you're not exposing her to the nasty swine flu you've contracted."

That would have been cool. But she didn't, and that's ok too, she's already had the baby one night. She offers to bring the baby over, but I have to go out anyway so I figure I'll go get her in a bit. "Where you going?"

"The grocery store."

"Oh but the grocery store is so far away, go to the gas station."

"The gas station doesn't have the selection of medicine that I need."

"Well I can bring the baby over and stop at the store for you."

<Thinking to myself - no because you won't get what I want and need>

"No that's ok I'll just go."

"Oh well how about you come to the store near where I live?"

"Because the grocery store is better."

"Well why don't I go to the store at the end of my road and pick you something up."

"No no that's ok I will go to the grocery store and get it myself and then I will come get the baby."

"Well how about <another useless suggestion>

Then I start feeling irritated, because I have to repeat myself, and because I'm about to piss out of my asshole again.

"No no that's ok I will go to the grocery store and get it myself and then I will come get the baby."

"Well how about..."

"No, how about I will go to the grocery store and get it myself and then I will come get the baby."

"Well - "

"How about I will go to the grocery store and get it myself and then I will come get the baby?"

"I think -"

"I. Will. Go. To. The. Grocery. Store. And. Get. It. Myself. And. Then. I. Will. Come. Get. The. Baby. O. K?"

"Oh, ok then!"

I hate repeating myself. I said it once, I told you, now STFU and leave me alone!

I don't quite understand: how is voluntarily offering to run errands for you not being helpful? Assuming, of course, you tell her exactly what you need and that's what she gets. I hate going out when I'm sick, so if someone wants to bring me medicine and/or food I'm all for it.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I think it's more that she wouldn't take no for an answer. She kept insisting on helping, even though DrFaroohk had already declined the offer. I've had that happen with me all the time. When you say "NO", it should mean "NO" even if they are trying to help. There are only so many times you can say "NO" before you want to lash out.

Comment

It's not helpful because one she is almost forcing her help on him and two because she seems the kind of person that when at the store getting the medicine will not get what he insisted he needs and will instead get him something that works so well for her but is rather ineffectual for him.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Exactly. Plus sitting at home, I'm not 100% sure what I want. I can go to the store and look around. It sucks because I'm sick, but I'd rather get what's best for me.

She has a tendency to give out aleve for everything. I'm sure it helps with her period cramps, but it doesn't really do much for anything I've ever had to deal with.

Comment

Plus, even when I'm sick getting out does worlds more good for me than sitting in home exhaling even more germs that get stuck inside with no escape route other than back into my body.

The fresh air, the movement, sometimes the cold numbs the fever down just a tad. And I can imagine being able to put the baby out of your mind for a few minutes does a bit of good too. All parents need a moment or two to themselves once in a while.
            The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

Working...
            X