Fear mongering commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear mongering commercials

"Your life can be changed in an instant, a car accident, negligent workplace, blah blah blah, now you can trust our attorney's to make sure your insurance company doesn't screw you over"

Yeah, like that's the first thing I'm going to think about if I'm in some horrific, life altering accident. As someone who's trying to get over anxiety problems and NOT worry about what "could" happen to me, I do not appreciate being reminded just so you can make some money. I really hate that kind of fear mongering, but knowing it's just to promote some attorney makes me very bitter.

No wonder it's so hard to get over anxiety when we're constantly reminded about what "could" happen to us.

A million and one things *COULD* happen. I'm much more comfortable thinking about what's likely to happen.
    It is true that my life could be changed in an instant - I'll deal with that when/if it comes. It's more likely that the attourney is going to bilk me for however much money he can.
    Just like all those other products out there trying to protect me from possibilities or imaginary/irrational fears. It's all about the money. Evoke people's emotions so they are not necessarily thinking clearly and then bilk them. Fear, Love, Anger, Guilt, it's all just a matter of extortion, methinks. Fear-mongers [Glenn Beck saying to Buy Gold, when he is getting money from Goldline], Televangelists [God wants you to send me money], _few_ charities* [there's a disaster in XYZ send us money to help them], funeral homes [but don't you love your deceased? don't you want the best for them?]

*not all charities, but some have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, for example you donate $10, and about $2 actually goes to help people.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond View Post
      A million and one things *COULD* happen. I'm much more comfortable thinking about what's likely to happen.
      I agree, but a bit of insurance is not a bad idea. Insurance commercials, for example, need to play on our fears to some extent, since the only thing that insurance provides (if all goes well) is peace of mind. If we already have peace of mind, and never get into an accident...insurance is worthless to us.

But most people have a nagging voice in the backs of their minds saying "What if?" A little bit of house and life insurance makes that go away.

The commercial Rageaholic is talking about is a bit different. No one sees an accident attornery pre-emptively. It's speaking to people whose lives have already been "changed in an instant." I think most people with normal anxiety levels who aren't in battle with their insurance companies would be unaffected by those commercials.

Comment

My favorite ones are about the flu. When I see these commercials, I think to myself 'They are just NOW talking about the flu?' or 'NOW they are worried about the flu?'

Just makes me go
        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

The best though, have to be the ones for "extended warranties" being offered on cars. Most of the commercials go on about the "thousands of dollars needed to replace an engine or transmission" Needless to say, I've owned several cars, including one with no maintenance (that sodding Tempo), and I've *never* had to replace an engine.

Those "warranties" are aimed at people who freak out over repairs. They're hoping to use that "freaking out" to get someone to pay for their product...and then make them jump through hoops to use it. Not worth it, IMHO.

Comment

I think this fits perfectly here...

“A Warrior Must Always Live With The Realization That He Is Going To Die. As Such, Live Life For What It Has To Offer Each Day. Make Each Action Count And Be Deliberate By Remembering That Today Is A Good Day To Die.”

- 14th Law of the Dragon

The Samurai believed in this and used it as a driver for when they would go into battle. If it's your time, then it's your time. There is nothing that you can do about it. Call it fate, God's Will, destiny, the butterfly effect, whatever you want. Things are going to happen that we have no control over. The best that we can do is to continue to do what we do, the best we can. Sometimes the extra effort can mean the difference between life and death, safety and injury.

Most people can't do this tho. They're overcome with fear and/or anxiety. As a result, advertisers, politicians, and other propaganda machines feed off of them.

CH
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I love the term "causes of preventable death"

This implying that death itself is preventable even though really they are saying death by cause A and B is preventable so that you can die by cause C
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                I think this fits perfectly here...

“A Warrior Must Always Live With The Realization That He Is Going To Die. As Such, Live Life For What It Has To Offer Each Day. Make Each Action Count And Be Deliberate By Remembering That Today Is A Good Day To Die.”

- 14th Law of the Dragon

The Samurai believed in this and used it as a driver for when they would go into battle. If it's your time, then it's your time. There is nothing that you can do about it. Call it fate, God's Will, destiny, the butterfly effect, whatever you want. Things are going to happen that we have no control over. The best that we can do is to continue to do what we do, the best we can. Sometimes the extra effort can mean the difference between life and death, safety and injury.

Most people can't do this tho. They're overcome with fear and/or anxiety. As a result, advertisers, politicians, and other propaganda machines feed off of them.

CH
                Actually, that's what I'm trying to do, kind of, but it is hard. I remember a couple years back I devoloped this complete sense of acceptance of what was going to happen and made it my goal to just enjoy life while I can. I don't know what happened, but now I'm back to worrying about shit again.

Comment

Don't be too hard on yourself, now. We can do a lot to control anxiety ourselves, but sometimes its just a plain old chemical imbalance. Have you been to a doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                    Don't be too hard on yourself, now. We can do a lot to control anxiety ourselves, but sometimes its just a plain old chemical imbalance. Have you been to a doctor?
                    Yes, I have been getting help for this, but it can be a struggle.

Comment

Did you know that 58% of the deaths of persons over the age of 50 are caused by robot attacks? Don't be caught without insurance!
                      "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                      X