Floating through life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating through life

I feel like I should have some sort of purpose in my life. Something to drive me to have me getting up in the morning saying, "YES TODAY WILL BE A GREAT DAY"

I feel like my life has become a series of the same days rolling over one into the other. Others seem to have goals they are working towards but all of my old goals are fading away. I feel less and less like I care. I wonder if one day I will wake up as a living ghost someone that floats through others lives not really living mine.

I find more and more I read and watch and observe humanity than take a part in it. I go to work becasue I need a pay check to feed and clothe myself.

I only socialize with some people online and my roommate. I see my daughter once a week.

What I really hate is that I don't seem to hate it. I just I think back to my earlier days 25 and younger when life was one big series of adventures after another.

I wonder is it because I am getting older or do I need to take a step back and find something bigger than life to recapture my interest. Anyway that's my rant. Blah.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I believe that we each have to choose our own purpose or meaning for our lives. It doesn't have to be anything grand.

It can be simple, like mine. I want to make enough money to keep ahead of the bills. I want to work on the relationships that are important to me, which amounts to about half a dozen close friends and/or family members. And I want to enjoy life as much as possible within the constraints of the first two.

If there's something about your life that you want to change, do it. You're the only one who can.
    "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      What I really hate is that I don't seem to hate it. I just I think back to my earlier days 25 and younger when life was one big series of adventures after another.
      Dude, I'm turning 22 in less than two months and my life still hasn't been one adventure after another. It's become pretty routine since I started schooling. I'm still waiting for life to get exciting.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Uh, I turn 34 in a few months. Very few, if any adventures. Life's been pretty routine and boring up until now.

Comment

My goal in life is to make a name for myself. To have a wonderful family that will be proud of me. I also want to be able to pay my bills on time and not have to worry about it later

Comment

I think part of my problem is that I have accomplished all of my goals I have had. I finally decided the job I am in is my career that school isn't for me right now. I get more time with my daughter now. Getting closer to coming to terms with my sexuality.

I am just so used to life being one big rush. One adventure after the other and now it's slowing down and becoming stable not really used to it.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

I understand where you're coming from. I have felt this way on and off most of my young adult life. I am going to be 29 in a few months. I will have weeks where I feel like I'm on autopilot, not really in my skin.

It can be tough to feel that way and kind of be comfortable but want to know what happened. If I have the money for gas, what I usually do when I get stuck in a rut like that is get in the car and drive randomly. I have a decent digital camera and I like to just pull over places and start taking pictures. It helps me realise that there are more things to life than my four walls at home or my cubicle at work.

Sometimes that doesn't work out though. Those are the times that I just have to ride it out.

Most of my friends have married, had children, and moved away. It's never been easy for me to make new friends, so I have found myself just floating more frequently. Thankfully, I have my husband to anchor me, most of the time.

Sometimes just riding it out is the only thing you can do about it. Yes, it can suck, but depending on the circumstances, it's the only option.

Comment

To help break up routines I like to go on vacations. I once drove to Tucson, AZ from Savannah, GA... via Colorado, just for fun and to break up the monotony. Took a cruise once, because I hadn't done that before.
                My purpose in life? Amuse myself. Granted, not much of a goal, but just living is too exciting for me sometimes. But those are stories for another time...
                Recapture interest in life? Try or experience something new and different and give it an honest go. Hell, worse come worse at least it might be an adventure, no?

Comment

I had achieved a lot of the goals I had 9 years ago. Since then, my life has been one long roller coaster ride of job and residential changes, parenthood, and legal battles.

That's all been resolved, I believe, but now I work, train, and sleep. Really, it's all I do. My days off are spent working contract jobs, working on family member's computers, or training friends and family members. I get to see my son less and less as time goes by. I turn 35 in July and feel like I'm fresh out of college again, with no idea of what's in store. I feel like I need to achieve those same goals all over again.

All I can recommend is to first and foremost be responsible for your life and commitments, then do whatever makes you happy and doesn't jeopardize said responsibilities.

CH
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I had a lot of adventures in my late teens and early twenties, but that has seemed to die down considerably now. I also used to be very into religion and church, and thought my purpose was to become a missionary. But the more I examined my faith and the logic behind religion, the further away from that I drifted until I got to where I am now with church. Now I am waiting for a new purpose.

Comment

Working...
                    X