Assholery Towards Night People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assholery Towards Night People

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but I just cannot stand to hear one more "normal" person kicking and screaming about getting woken up early in the morning or late at night, because I have to deal with bullshit like that on my own sleep time (during the day) on a daily basis (moreso in the winter!).

I'm not a noisy person, and knowing how easily I could get evicted for doing so, I do my best to NOT disturb my neighbors when I go to work or if I come home late on a weekend night.....despite the fact that not a single effing one of them will try to come home quietly for ME during the day.

It just annoys me to hear their whining when mine never go answered and there is literally nothing that can be done about people who wake me up. Could I change shifts? Sure...I could be on second shift within weeks if I wanted to.....but would I still be able to afford rent? Not without putting in EXTRA overtime to compensate for what I'd lose by switching shifts. I'd prefer to do overtime to earn extra money, NOT to make up for what I lose.

I'm sure the reason my neighbors and other people do this to night shift people (besides the fact that they are self important retards) is because they think night shift people have a choice, we can just get a "normal" shift job any old time we want. Not so. Especially now with the way the economy is, some people have HAD to take night shift jobs just to have a job. I stay on night shift because of the money. Without it, I'd need to put in extra overtime, and if there wasn't overtime, I wouldn't make rent or I'd have to let bills slide, which is not good.

It's just not fair and it will always piss me off. I don't go stomping down the stairs when I leave at night or even when I come home a little tipsy on a Friday night when my bf is out of town......so why the hell is it ok for my neighbors to come home between 3-6 pm and stomp up every single fucking step and slam their doors and throw shit around? Does the entire neighborhood REALLY need to know that you are home? NO. I certainly don't want to hear you, just as much as you don't want to hear me leaving at 10:15.

Like I said earlier, it's worse in the winter, because of how crisp and cold the air is, magnifying every sound. Two weeks ago when we had our last snowstorm, every single time one of my neighbors came home, not only did I hear the stomping, but they all were either kicking the building or the railings outside to get the snow off of their shoes. It was LOUD. It woke me up from sleeping since noon....so obviously, it WAS loud. That was NOT necessary.

Most night people are very reasonable. We don't kick and scream about lawnmowers or snowplows or even obnoxious shit like plowing a trace of snow or leaf-blowing every day for a week straight.........but there are simple things others can do, very common sense things regarding living in an effing apartment building like NOT STOMPING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS or slamming doors or kicking your feet loudly against the building to get snow off your shoes.

Sorry, I just really had to vent. It's not supposed to snow until tomorrow, but almost every day this week, my one neighbor in particular has been coming home louder than usual and I'm at my wits end, and there is nothing I can do about it because I'm the "weird" one who works odd hours

I feel your pain. For the longest time working at the hotel people would ask me why I didn't just transfer to a day shift... well that would mean a dollar an hour pay cut for one, and second, then there would be no one to do the night shift. Someones got to do it, and until they find someone else, that will have to be me.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I feel your pain. I attempt to make no more than a reasonable amount of noise in my coming and goings.

I at one point was working a night shift for a couple of months. My neighbors were all deaf and they "knocked" on each others' doors by throwing their bodies at the doors.

Not fun.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Being a ghosthunter, I get the same thing. After a night of investigating, I want to sleep. Not be woken up in a few hours. Its one thing thing if they didn't know I was up that night before. But I hate the ones that know I am asleep that will come and knock on doors and be loud.

Comment

I feel your pain, Blas. I don't work 3rd's anymore, but I do work crazy hours, and tend to sleep at unusual hours because of it.

My friends are always bugging me to go back to a 9-5, M-F shift so that I can have a social life again. Oh, are you (insert friend here) gonna pay my bills when I lose my weekend shift differential?...no?...then STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
            My friends are always bugging me to go back to a 9-5, M-F shift so that I can have a social life again. Oh, are you (insert friend here) gonna pay my bills when I lose my weekend shift differential?...no?...then STFU.
            Ironically my 9-5 schedule keeps me from having a social life because my friends all have unusual schedules.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

No one ever understands the night people. When I was living at home but working nights my father used to bitch that I didn't do enough housework. Well I'm sorry but I don't get out of work until 11. You want me to vacuum? How about mow the lawn at 2:30 in the morning? Would that be a nice way to contribute? But I should be going to bed right when I get home! What the hell kind of crazy shit is that? You don't go to bed when you get off work at 5 o clock do you? Of course not. Why? Because you've been working all day and you need time to just unwind and settle down.

We should be one of those 'protected classes' or whatever they call it.

Comment

When I was a kid I thought of an entire other city that happens at night. All the people that live in the night. To me it was the most awesome thing in the world.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

I think it'd be great if there was designated housing for people who work "odd" hours....not just night shifts in general, but anyone who doesn't work the typical 6-2, 7-3, 8-4, 9-5...etc......I'm sure the neighbors would get along well because they'd all undersand and respect one another better than how things normally go, when you get a luck of the draw being the only night person in an entire complex.

I think I was a little too passionate when I wrote that yesterday. I didn't mean it to sound like my neighbors make all that noise just to wake ME up or be loud to ME. Of course they don't care how loud they are and they do it on purpose knowingly and willingly, but most of the time, it just bothers me, even though it doesn't have to do with me. There have only been a few instances here and there with certain neighbors where they have purposely done things to make it hard to sleep for me. Ah, they are so mature.
                  Last edited by blas87; 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Neighbors also need to understand that living in an apartment means you're gonna get disturbed. Deal with it. You knew what you were getting into when you chose a bottom floor apartment.

Comment

Working...
                    X