Pigtail light bulbs: good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigtail light bulbs: good or bad?

(First, the semi-usual apology: this is not, in fact, something that I hate but it doesn't really fit anywhere else.)

I've seen this mentioned as an occasional aside, both here and most recently on CS, but I couldn't find any actual discussion on the point. I've heard how compact fluorescents are practically supposed to save the world by themselves, being so energy efficient and all and saving money over time. And I've heard how they're evil little buggers, expensive, full of mercury, etc. Exaggerated in both cases, of course. So what do y'all think? Does the bad really outweigh the good?

Personally, I use them most places, except 1) lights that aren't on often, and not long enough at a time, to be worth it; 2) cold places, like the carport; 3) 3-way lamps, because they don't work; and 4) the kind of fixture that uses the little candle-shaped bulbs, because the fluorescent ones for them are HUGE. Oh, and of course 5) anything they won't fit in I figure there's not *much* mercury in there, and they last so much longer than regular bulbs that that alone should mean less waste overall. For instance, I have one light I never turn off. When it had a standard 60-watt bulb in it, I had to change the thing every 3 months or so; the current pigtail bulb has outlasted at least a dozen of them. It's undoubtedly worse, environmentally, than one, but that many?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

My local utility at least for now will replace mine when they burn out with other ones so I use them.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

I can't stand fluorescents, they give me a massive headache, because I can see them flickering, really really fast.

Comment

All of the lights in my place have those 'swirly' light bulbs. Sure, they're not cheap, but so far, I've only had to replace one...and it wasn't even because the bulb failed. Rather, because someone was trying to fix the outside light...and snapped the damn bulb off Anyway, after I'd replaced the regular bulbs, my electric bill literally dropped. I mean, I could leave lights on all day (not that I do), and the bill only goes up a penny or two.

With all that said, the only bad things I can think of, is the cost and yes, they *do* have mercury in them. I too get bad migraines, which are made worse by certain types of fluorescent lighting. Swirly bulbs don't seem to affect me...yet the 'tubes' usually do. Go figure

Comment

right now price is no longer really that much of a factor. Stores such as Sam's Club you can get a pack of six for $10, and it is not that much more expensive at regular stores such as Wal-Mart. It is sure that when they first came out, which is when most of us who have bought them, they were much more expensive than regular light bulbs. Now however, when you look at long-term, they are infinitely cheaper than standard light bulbs. With the argument on them having mercury, I respond, most people receive electricity from coal generated power plants.coal-fired power plants produce much more mercury to power the higher wattage bulbs than what is contained in the compact florescents.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Right now I use mostly incandescent bulbs. As they go out, I replace them with the CFLs. The newer CFLs are a lot better than the old ones. The old ones took forever to light up, and you could see them flickering. The only place I don't like to use the CFLs is outside, since it's so cold out there, which makes the CFLs a lot dimmer.

Originally posted by HYHYBT
            Personally, I use them most places, except ... 3-way lamps, because they don't work;
            They do have three-way CFLs now that work. I have one in a lamp.

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021
            With the argument on them having mercury, I respond, most people receive electricity from coal generated power plants.coal-fired power plants produce much more mercury to power the higher wattage bulbs than what is contained in the compact florescents.
            I must remember this. It makes me feel a little bit better about using them.
            The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
            my brother's

Comment

right now price is no longer really that much of a factor.
              That's a pretty recent change, though. The last time I had to buy any they were $3-4 apiece. When my brother and his then-wife moved five year ago, she bought regular bulbs, changed out all the CF's in the house which was almost every fixture, and took them with her.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Here are some myths versus facts on CFL's.... they arn't any more "full of mercury" etc etc
                I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                  Here are some myths versus facts on CFL's.... they arn't any more "full of mercury" etc etc
                  Here's the link Kiwi meant to post.
                  People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                  If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
                    Here's the link Kiwi meant to post.
                    woops HAHAHA sorry
                    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

OT I originally thought when I saw the thread title of a girl with pigtails having little Christmas lights in her hair.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Sounds like something Pippi Longstocking would do.

Comment

I have to admit I’m probably the loan duck here. I have a set in my house (3 to be exact) hoping to help on my electric bill. I have grown to hate the “color” these things put out which is odd since the light fixture is clear glass and I never had an issue with incandescent light bulbs. So needless to say none of the other lights have been changed. I actually like the bright “white” color incandescent put out and I’ve never had a problem with replacing them once a year.

Yes I did read link you provided. It is nice to find out why the CLD’s are putting out this color, but as for their proposal of replacing every lamp/lighting fixture in the house. That’s not going to happen since 1)the ceiling fixtures belong to the landlord and are 95% of the lighting in this house and 2) I don’t feel like having to buy a bunch of lamps that may or may not have the same problem. Help me when they stop making regular light bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                          X