Pity Fandom for Sports Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pity Fandom for Sports Teams

See: New Orleans Saints and Hurricane Katrina. How long are they going to ride that? Really.

See: Indianapolis Colts and Haiti's earthquakes. Aw, they have a player on the team who has family in Haiti. We should root for Garcon and the Colts because Garcon's family was completely unharmed by the earthquakes...Blow me. Come up with a somewhat decent reason to cheer for them. The Saints are going with the same thing because Vilma has family who lives in Haiti and were unharmed too.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

The Vikings sure got a lot of pity fans this season just because Favre the Diva hopped aboard.

I remember when it was a joke to root for the Vikings. Too bad just because a legendary quarterback joins, all of a sudden it's "cool". People can be such sheep.

I wonder where Favre will go next season, and who the temp Viking fans are going to root for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      The Vikings sure got a lot of pity fans this season just because Favre the Diva hopped aboard.
      ...I think you misunderstand the meaning of pity fandom. No one took pity on Minnesota because of some natural disaster, terrorist attack, etc. I rooted for the Vikings because of Favre. But only because of Favre and I honestly didn't care about the other 52 players on the team.

I'm talking about teams like the Saints where people cheer them on because of things completely unrelated to football.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'm rooting for the Bengals to win next week.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          I'm rooting for the Bengals to win next week.
          Interesting. How do you think that's going to work out for you?

Comment

I understand what you meant completely, Greenday, and this has been going on with the Saints ever since Hurricane Katrina, pity fan-dom for the Saints is no big news.

It's my own personal thing to call Favre on the Vikings a temporary or pity fan thing....no one liked them until he hopped aboard.

Comment

There were two years I paid certain attention to sports and to certain teams. Just to see the teams the nation has taken pity on get their asses kicked.

2001: MLB World Series. Fantastic to see the Diamondbacks win. Not *just* because they were playing the Yankees, but because they beat the New York team. It could have been Angels vs Mets. I would have been cheering for the Angels.

2007: NFL Conference Championships. Thank God the Bears beat the Saints. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                Interesting. How do you think that's going to work out for you?
                Quite well, seeing as it was a joke and all. I don't think the game is until week after next anyway.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

When I lived in New Orleans, I'd follow the Saints just for the comedy value. And most of the comedy value came from fans and the city in general. I remember when they tried to get the vodoo priestess to come remove the curse that was supposedly over the stadium a couple of times. Between that and Tom Bensen (the owner) dancing around with a parasol, the game kind of takes a back seat.

Comment

I would've rooted for the Vikings just because of that joke mention made of them in Pokémon: The Movie.
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                    X