"Continuous Improvement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Continuous Improvement"

As I said in CS, I have no retail experience, but I have known companies to change things around even when not needed. Most of the time, those changes result in epic fail.

For example, youtube. Who else hates the new beta channel design? They are not only slow as hell, but the navigation sucks. All of the videos are now in a small space on the upper right corner and you have to do endless scrolling to find the right video. Before, all of the videos were at the bottom of the page and they listed 20 at a time. If someone had 200 videos, there were 10 pages of 20 videos each to scroll through which was easy. The current design forces you to scroll through one long list of videos and doesn't have the page option like the old one did. The videos, the most important part of a channel are all crammed in one little corner.

That's just one example, but it's one of many times when something had changed for the worst. Well in one of my business classes, I learned of something called "continuous improvement" which I think sheds some light on idiotic decisions. It basically says to always be trying to improve things and to never be satisfied with the way things are. What a crock of shit that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER be satisfied with things the way they are? No wonder I'm always hearing about over critical managers! Even when things are close to perfect, it's still not good enough! This also explains why companies are always changing shit. Now there's nothing wrong with trying to improve things, but there comes a time when you gotta say "enough is enough!!". Like youtube for instance, the old channel design was FINE. There was no need to change it, but they changed it and now it's even worse off than before! Yeah, real great "continuous improvement" that is!

Grr, I could never be a manager if that's how they're supposed to think! Never be satisfied with the way things are, what a depressing and greedy way to look at things! Can't these morons get it through their heads that change is not always a good thing nor is it necessary?! IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!! YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO SCREW IT UP!!!!

*phew*

Just had to get that off my chest. Maybe I had a misunderstanding of how "continous improvement" really works, but the idea of "never being satisfied with how things are" is very bothersome.

I think those kind of companies have done great with the "continuous" part. Now they need to work on the "improvement" part. Change for the sake of change is just idiotic. It's a lot like all these product based companies who are canstantly changing the packaging their product comes in. Constantly changing things does not make your company "fresh" or "commiting to constantly improving our paradigm to shift the focus consumer cross-section buzzword buzzword blahhhhhhhhhh". It makes you look desperate and idiotic.

Comment

That's exactly what I hate about it Fyrk, they aren't really improving anything. Changing something means more work for everyone so there should be a good reason to change it. When something is fine the way it is, you should just accept it that way. This dumbass philosophy says that it's never fine which is not true! Why even bother to improve if you're never going to be satisfied with it?

It's counterproductive, and I hate counter productivity.

Comment

Working...
      X