Psuedo Psychological Nonsense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psuedo Psychological Nonsense!

Below is the article and the thread that brought up this rant of mine.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...ces_Dress_Code

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=59222

In summary, this store introduces a dress code where they don't allow shoppers to shop in their PJs. However, there was one comment in the article that peed me and couple other posters off.

If you can't be bothered to change out of your night-clothes, it's not likely you possess any of the aptitudes which make the world around us a better place; stoical parenting, selfless duty to others, or the ability to hold down a job.
    Another poster said it best.

That quote in the article PISSED ME OFF. Admitedly, if I don't change out of my PJ pants before going out, yes, that is laziness on my part. But it has absolutely NO relevance to my other abilities. I work 10 hour shifts on my feet in the middle of the night, which is something not many people are willing to do, and I am damn good at it. Talk about judging a book by its cover. I'm sorry if I'm overreacting to it, but that's just messed up. Yes I'm lazy when I'm not at work. It's cause I've worked a long day and I'm tired, damnit.
    He/She is right. They are trying to tell a persons whole personality based on one little thing that has no relevence to anything else. I see these kind of judgments applied everywhere, especially with politics.

For instance, before the election, I heard Laura Ingraham get on Obama's case because he shook a guys hand. She claimed that "if he can be pressured into a handshake, he can be pressured into anything" or something to that effect. WTF? It's a HANDSHAKE! Not an invitation to launch a nuclear attack on a foreign country. I think Mr Obama knows the difference between a handshake and an important Presidental decision.

Jobs are nitorious for these kind of things. Have shitty handwritting? Well that means you're going to be sloppy on the job! Don't dress up? That means you're unprofessional! Have bad spelling? You're bound to make mistakes on the job!

The worst is that god awful unicru test which has no basis in reality. Not only do they expect you to give the inhuman answers, they expect you to answer them "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree". You have to be one extreme or the other or they don't think you're good enough for the job. What bites is I just know these kind of judgments have costed me jobs in the past. Especially the few interviews I had where I was probably nervous because I knew I would be judged based on this bullshit. Yes, they have no other way to know other than first apperance, but I don't have to like it, do I?

Arrrrrrrrgg!

As a cosplayer, I see this too. The idea that just because I wear an elaborate costume sometimes without "official permission", ie- Halloween, that must mean that I am a freak, a loser, can't hold a job, or worse. Well guess what, ignorant people? I DO hold a "normal" job, and no I don't believe I really am a Jedi. No, I'm not lazy either- Would YOU have the patience to spend hours sewing an elaborate outfit, or to sit down and spend roughly 46 hours hand-tooling and painting an intricate leather prop replica? Somehow, I doubt it. Anti-social? Well, if I didn't want to interact with people ever, I wouldn't wear anything striking or dramatic, costume or otherwise, would I?

Comment

*scratches head* Uhm my jogging pants are my PJs. Does this mean I can't shop there?
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X